Topic Options
#471125 - 06/13/19 06:04 AM Groove Blue Organ Trio - Tony Monaco
Dnj Offline

headphone

#471130 - 06/13/19 06:31 AM Re: Groove Blue Organ Trio - Tony Monaco [Re: Dnj]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Nice find cool

#471143 - 06/13/19 10:29 AM Re: Groove Blue Organ Trio - Tony Monaco [Re: Stephenm52]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Good! Nice guy, too, but he's no Joey....maybe Joey LITE (LOL)!

R.

#471147 - 06/13/19 11:22 AM Re: Groove Blue Organ Trio - Tony Monaco [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
The drummer, Steve Smith played on many of Journeys biggest hits. Pretty versatile drummer for sure!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#471152 - 06/13/19 12:29 PM Re: Groove Blue Organ Trio - Tony Monaco [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By captain Russ
Good! Nice guy, too, but he's no Joey....maybe Joey LITE (LOL)!

R.

I like them both...
But lean to Tony's style a bit more.

#471153 - 06/13/19 12:59 PM Re: Groove Blue Organ Trio - Tony Monaco [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
...but here's the thing. No knock on Tony 'cause I love the guy, but on that first tune, a straight 1-4-5 blues that you could put 50 different 'heads' onto, should you actually get credit for playing the tune that's identified only by playing the melody once and then going into 'solo' mode for the next 20 minutes or intermission, whichever comes first smile. The truth is, any and all solos played to those changes could be applied to any of 100 tunes and anybody that came in after the 'head' was played, wouldn't have a clue what tune it was smile. This isn't really a criticism, more like a funny observation. Every jazz group does it, both to stretch a set and to get in every blues lick they know in a single tune smile. I only mention this 'cause I see I had both Steve and Russ' attention in the same post.

So for starters guys, ARE YOU GUILTY?

smile

chas

#471161 - 06/13/19 01:39 PM Re: Groove Blue Organ Trio - Tony Monaco [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
For me I prefer Tony to Joey. ( Joey lite ? com'on man ) Trying to properly describe why is difficult but to keep it simple I find Tony more musical rather than just technical. I've seen them both live and Tony's set was just more enjoyable to me. Like I said hard to describe.
Tonys a real nice down to earth guy. Sat at the bar with him before his set and we had a nice talk, and not just music. I didn't know he was just getting over a Heart Attack so I think since then he's slowed down the touring.
And if anyone wants some good lessons check out his teaching CDs.

#471170 - 06/13/19 04:12 PM Re: Groove Blue Organ Trio - Tony Monaco [Re: Bill Lewis]

ME! GUILTY? OK, OK, OK!

To me, Joey's solos are far more imaginative, and he has a much better grasp of structure and inversions.

Talked to Tony several times at NAMM and like him as a player and as a person.

Oh, the "Tony Lite" was an attempt to show concern for Joey's weight struggle and it's potential to damage his health.

In no way was the attempt to belittle Tony or his playing.

Russ

Edited by captain Russ (06/13/19 04:45 PM)

#471185 - 06/14/19 06:20 AM Re: Groove Blue Organ Trio - Tony Monaco [Re: Dnj]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Russ
Joey's weight situation is a problem to be sure. Hope he can stay healthy and keep making music for a long time. Same with Tony.

I think you described what I was trying to say more clearly. Joey is a master of technique and musical theory. Tony's no slouch in that are either but I just think there's a little more emotion and musical color to his playing. I'll keep listening to all the CD's I have of both of them and saying WOW.
A razor thin line between them, I could only hope to be half as good.

#471191 - 06/14/19 08:41 AM Re: Groove Blue Organ Trio - Tony Monaco [Re: Bill Lewis]

Bill, I agree with your assessment. I was in the Hammond booth at summer NAMM a few years ago with our friend Rory Hoffman. Rory played a few tunes with Tony, and he invited us to a nearby club (he always has a regular gig within walking distance of the convention center). I was going to play a couple of tunes with him, but did not have my union card, which was a problem. Tony was as gracious as could be. I've met Joey several times, but he's not quite as personable.

It's kind of like Kieth Urban and Brad Paisley. Kieth is a blues based three chord player. Brad is more complex. He uses more changes and is a better technician. I prefer Brad's playing, but Kieth's presentation (like his wife better, too, and never met Brad's).

BTW: I appreciate the polite but firm way you questioned my reference to "lite". If my intention was to comment on Tony's skill level, that would have been tacky and pretty low.

This is a good example of straightening out a poorly explained comment with respect and courtesy, while firmly making your point.

That's the way it should be.

Best regards,

Russ

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online