SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#469050 - 04/23/19 04:24 AM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Bachus

I agree with you that it is the soul that speaks in the music
But one also needs to teach the soul how to speak

That's a GREAT point. 'Feeling it' doesn't mean a thing if you can't articulate it.

chas

#469051 - 04/23/19 04:31 AM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
You can't practice soul, you have to feel soul.
MEL

#469052 - 04/23/19 04:31 AM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Sitting in a bedroom playing is not the way to instill feeling or soul in your music,... IMO playing in front of people that can see what your articulation and music stylings is doing to their emotions, spirits, & soul when your under pressure is the way I like it.
Every performance evokes a different message and feeling.
In return it comes back to you the same way and creates
the Magic of Music.

#469054 - 04/23/19 05:08 AM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: Dnj]
bruno123 Offline

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
I agree with Donny, playing under pressure brings the most out a musician. It’s that certain something that brings your soul/emotions, into your music. Once you have it, you never lose it.

Lyrics have always been my problem. Played the song many times at home with small improvement. Played the same song twice under pressure, an audience, and the lyrics and chords were memorized. Ten years latter I still know the lyrics – and the chords just seem to come without thinking.

OT, have you ever, in a half dream sang a song through with no problem, only to wake up and find you still did not know the lyrics to the song?
John C.

#469055 - 04/23/19 05:16 AM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: bruno123]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
I agree with Donny, playing under pressure brings the most out a musician. It’s that certain something that brings your soul/emotions, into your music. Once you have it, you never lose it.

Lyrics have always been my problem. Played the song many times at home with small improvement. Played the same song twice under pressure, an audience, and the lyrics and chords were memorized. Ten years latter I still know the lyrics – and the chords just seem to come without thinking.

OT, have you ever, in a half dream sang a song through with no problem, only to wake up and find you still did not know the lyrics to the song?
John C.

Agreed John...if your head is stuck on the chart you will never be a good stage presence singer/player....
as you stated above the chords and lyrics have to come without thinking when playing under pressure in front of an audience....
look in their eyes to make the connection with them.
And that only comes with years of on stage experience.

Edited by Dnj (04/23/19 05:18 AM)

#469057 - 04/23/19 05:23 AM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Don't know if I agree with that, Donny. While it's true that environment can/could influence your playing, I think the feeling you bring to it is more internal. I don't think you necessarily have to be in front of people to feel happy, sad, lonely, upbeat, whatever..., so no reason you can't bring those feelings to your music wherever you are, bedroom or main stage. Some of my most soulful moments (musically) have come sitting in front of a keyboard in my studio with not a soul around. JMO.

chas

#469059 - 04/23/19 05:32 AM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Don't know if I agree with that, Donny. While it's true that environment can/could influence your playing, I think the feeling you bring to it is more internal. I don't think you necessarily have to be in front of people to feel happy, sad, lonely, upbeat, whatever..., so no reason you can't bring those feelings to your music wherever you are, bedroom or main stage. Some of my most soulful moments (musically) have come sitting in front of a keyboard in my studio with not a soul around. JMO.

chas

Chas I respect your opinion but for me personally I want to make music enjoyable for myself and for others who listen, it really charges me to look into someones eyes when they are diggin' your groove knowing that your part of it either listening or dancing,
toe tapping or whatever....just my opinion.
so together we can experience

#469063 - 04/23/19 05:40 AM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Well sure, a lot of us feed off of the audience and that's fine, BUT, it sounds like something of a 'put-down' to say that those who prefer to play privately in their homes can't bring the same feeling to their music as those who prefer to play in public. People are different and what works for one person doesn't have to be the 'standard' for everyone. I say, do what's comfortable for YOU.

chas

#469064 - 04/23/19 05:42 AM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
My 2 cents, there’s 2 sides to this coin. ( no pun intended) I’m of the mindset it’s internal I’ve had both soulful moments at home in front of the piano and also at the weekly piano gig I play when in Florida. I will say this I get more soulful moments at the piano than I do at the arranger. Yes the audience is a motivator but not the only factor that does.

Edited by Stephenm52 (04/23/19 05:43 AM)

#469067 - 04/23/19 05:55 AM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: Stephenm52]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
My 2 cents, there’s 2 sides to this coin. ( no pun intended) I’m of the mindset it’s internal I’ve had both soulful moments at home in front of the piano and also at the weekly piano gig I play when in Florida. I will say this I get more soulful moments at the piano than I do at the arranger. Yes the audience is a motivator but not the only factor that does.

Steve I'll agree as I am not a piano player by any means...
but I can definitely can see how a Piano player can instill many feelings playing using all your human responses through your
feelings and fingers then operating any automatic arranger KB.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online