It's not the keyboard, it's the soul

Posted by: cgiles

It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/22/19 09:04 AM

Donny posted something awhile ago about New Orleans style piano. I'm not sure if this is an example (or variation) of it or not 'cause it sounds kind of 'gospel-ly'. This is a well-covered civil rights anthem written by Dr. Billy Taylor, a wonderful jazz pianist and a friend of my Mother's. I love the catchy rhythm, gospely feel, and minimalist arrangement. In fact, it's so repetitive, it could be a good candidate for an arranger if you could find a suitable style.

So Donny, would this be considered 'New Orleans' style? If not, what? It seems to rely on the rhythm mostly for it's impact. In any case, it's very easy to play and can certainly get you to clapping your hands.

chas

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIuWvn6O4pE
[/video]
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/22/19 12:26 PM

Not a religious person, but this is historic, "feel good" music which has a real place in American culture. AND, IT'S fun TO PLAY.

Thanks,

R.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/22/19 12:33 PM

Sounds a bit like Otis Redding kinda playing style to me - really enjoyed it.

Gary cool
Posted by: Dnj

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/22/19 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By cgiles
So Donny, would this be considered 'New Orleans' style? If not, what? It seems to rely on the rhythm mostly for it's impact. In any case, it's very easy to play and can certainly get you to clapping your hands.

Hi Chas,
Some great stuff there played for sure I love it. I am by far no expert on what is considered "New Orleans Style"
there are so many played there and have roots too like :

New Orleans Musical Styles:

BRASS BAND. The instruments: trumpet, trombone, drums, saxophone, sousaphone, and tuba. ...
RAGTIME. The Instruments: piano, sometimes accompanied by brass instrument. ...
DIXIE LAND/TRADITIONAL JAZZ. ...
CAJUN MUSIC. ...
ZYDECO. ...
GYPSY JAZZ. ...
BOUNCE.

But I know one thing, I dig the crap out of it!!! cool2
It makes me feel good, keys and inspires me inside, after all isn't that what music is meant to do?... heck I'm still reeling from my trip 5 years ago to Shreveport playing with Don Mason and all the country boys down south like Joe Lee Williams, and Hank, RIP, etc,
..it was a honor to be on stage playing with them. I certainly learned a lot and had a great time time doing it.
Hope to make the trip down south again in my future with some stops along the way. Thanx for sharing

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/22/19 01:45 PM

Donny, yeah. There are a lot of piano styles out there that could probably be called 'New Orleans' style piano; Dr John, Professor Longhair, even guys like Fats Domino and Huey 'Piano' Smith (remember him?). This particular set with Lucky Peterson (who I love as a bluesman) and his wife just grabbed me because it's so basic, yet so organic?, catchy? something? I don't know. Just upright acoustic piano, bass, and minimal drum kit - yet totally toe-tapping/hand clapping vibe. Love this stuff.

chas

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/22/19 02:24 PM

Donny, yeah. There are a lot of piano styles out there that could probably be called 'New Orleans' style piano; Dr John, Professor Longhair, even guys like Fats Domino and Huey 'Piano' Smith (remember him?). This particular set with Lucky Peterson (who I love as a bluesman) and his wife just grabbed me because it's so basic, yet so organic?, catchy? something? I don't know. Just upright acoustic piano, bass, and minimal drum kit - yet totally toe-tapping/hand clapping vibe. Love this stuff.

chas

I hear ya Chas....
“When there's music in your soul, there's soul in your music.” cool2
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/22/19 02:45 PM

Lucky Peterson?

I regularly listen to his recordings while walking for excercise or cutting the lawn. I like his Album “Lucky Peterson Tribute to Jimmy Smith”. Yup it’s organ stuff but since his name came up for discussion.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/i9mMzGdmwEQ[/video]

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/22/19 03:34 PM

Yeah Steve. I love Lucky. Whether it's a syncopated shuffle like the one you posted or a slow blues or just mid-tempo 'gut bucket', one thing you can depend on with Lucky is that absolutely exquisite timing (rhythmic feel). That's the part of (pop/jazz/blues/rock) music that you can't teach. You either feel it or you don't. I think John C. would agree with that. Some guys will have a 'magical' night when everything seems to be 'in the pocket'; and then their are some guys (or bands) that are ALWAYS there. Example - those great Count Basie bands of the 40's-60's.\

Thanks for posting that Steve. Lucky was a child prodigy, you know. He went through some rough times (even living on the streets) but seems to have been rehabilitated.

chas

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/22/19 04:37 PM

Yeah Steve. I love Lucky. Whether it's a syncopated shuffle like the one you posted or a slow blues or just mid-tempo 'gut bucket', one thing you can depend on with Lucky is that absolutely exquisite timing (rhythmic feel). That's the part of (pop/jazz/blues/rock) music that you can't teach. You either feel it or you don't. I think John C. would agree with that. Some guys will have a 'magical' night when everything seems to be 'in the pocket'; and then their are some guys (or bands) that are ALWAYS there. Example - those great Count Basie bands of the 40's-60's.\

Thanks for posting that Steve. Lucky was a child prodigy, you know. He went through some rough times (even living on the streets) but seems to have been rehabilitated.

chas

Right on Chas, you hit the nail on the head you either have or you don't it sure is a gift. I didn't know Lucky was a child prodigy. Just looked him up on Wikpedia and looks as though his first album was at 5 years old. cool
Posted by: Bachus

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/22/19 10:11 PM

The keyboard is something that makes the "Job" more fun (to me) even tough it is not a job..

I agree with you that it is the soul that speaks in the music
But one also needs to teach the soul how to speak
And thats training, practicing and practicing more

Nice music straight from the soul

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 04:24 AM

Originally Posted By Bachus

I agree with you that it is the soul that speaks in the music
But one also needs to teach the soul how to speak

That's a GREAT point. 'Feeling it' doesn't mean a thing if you can't articulate it.

chas
Posted by: organgrinder

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 04:31 AM

You can't practice soul, you have to feel soul.
MEL

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 04:31 AM

Sitting in a bedroom playing is not the way to instill feeling or soul in your music,... IMO playing in front of people that can see what your articulation and music stylings is doing to their emotions, spirits, & soul when your under pressure is the way I like it.
Every performance evokes a different message and feeling.
In return it comes back to you the same way and creates
the Magic of Music.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 05:08 AM

I agree with Donny, playing under pressure brings the most out a musician. It’s that certain something that brings your soul/emotions, into your music. Once you have it, you never lose it.

Lyrics have always been my problem. Played the song many times at home with small improvement. Played the same song twice under pressure, an audience, and the lyrics and chords were memorized. Ten years latter I still know the lyrics – and the chords just seem to come without thinking.

OT, have you ever, in a half dream sang a song through with no problem, only to wake up and find you still did not know the lyrics to the song?
John C.

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 05:16 AM

Originally Posted By bruno123
I agree with Donny, playing under pressure brings the most out a musician. It’s that certain something that brings your soul/emotions, into your music. Once you have it, you never lose it.

Lyrics have always been my problem. Played the song many times at home with small improvement. Played the same song twice under pressure, an audience, and the lyrics and chords were memorized. Ten years latter I still know the lyrics – and the chords just seem to come without thinking.

OT, have you ever, in a half dream sang a song through with no problem, only to wake up and find you still did not know the lyrics to the song?
John C.

Agreed John...if your head is stuck on the chart you will never be a good stage presence singer/player....
as you stated above the chords and lyrics have to come without thinking when playing under pressure in front of an audience....
look in their eyes to make the connection with them.
And that only comes with years of on stage experience.

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 05:23 AM

Don't know if I agree with that, Donny. While it's true that environment can/could influence your playing, I think the feeling you bring to it is more internal. I don't think you necessarily have to be in front of people to feel happy, sad, lonely, upbeat, whatever..., so no reason you can't bring those feelings to your music wherever you are, bedroom or main stage. Some of my most soulful moments (musically) have come sitting in front of a keyboard in my studio with not a soul around. JMO.

chas

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 05:32 AM

Don't know if I agree with that, Donny. While it's true that environment can/could influence your playing, I think the feeling you bring to it is more internal. I don't think you necessarily have to be in front of people to feel happy, sad, lonely, upbeat, whatever..., so no reason you can't bring those feelings to your music wherever you are, bedroom or main stage. Some of my most soulful moments (musically) have come sitting in front of a keyboard in my studio with not a soul around. JMO.

chas

Chas I respect your opinion but for me personally I want to make music enjoyable for myself and for others who listen, it really charges me to look into someones eyes when they are diggin' your groove knowing that your part of it either listening or dancing,
toe tapping or whatever....just my opinion.
so together we can experience

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 05:40 AM

Well sure, a lot of us feed off of the audience and that's fine, BUT, it sounds like something of a 'put-down' to say that those who prefer to play privately in their homes can't bring the same feeling to their music as those who prefer to play in public. People are different and what works for one person doesn't have to be the 'standard' for everyone. I say, do what's comfortable for YOU.

chas

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 05:42 AM

My 2 cents, there’s 2 sides to this coin. ( no pun intended) I’m of the mindset it’s internal I’ve had both soulful moments at home in front of the piano and also at the weekly piano gig I play when in Florida. I will say this I get more soulful moments at the piano than I do at the arranger. Yes the audience is a motivator but not the only factor that does.

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By Stephenm52
My 2 cents, there’s 2 sides to this coin. ( no pun intended) I’m of the mindset it’s internal I’ve had both soulful moments at home in front of the piano and also at the weekly piano gig I play when in Florida. I will say this I get more soulful moments at the piano than I do at the arranger. Yes the audience is a motivator but not the only factor that does.

Steve I'll agree as I am not a piano player by any means...
but I can definitely can see how a Piano player can instill many feelings playing using all your human responses through your
feelings and fingers then operating any automatic arranger KB.

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 08:44 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Sitting in a bedroom playing is not the way to instill feeling or soul in your music,... IMO playing in front of people that can see what your articulation and music stylings is doing to their emotions, spirits, & soul when your under pressure is the way I like it.
the Magic of Music.

I stepped away from this discussion some time ago, yet you keep bringing it up every other topic.

Just one question : does it make you feel superior pointing this out time after time?
Do you like feeling superior?

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 08:46 AM

Originally Posted By organgrinder
You can't practice soul, you have to feel soul.
MEL

Yes, i agree..

But you require a certain technique/skill level to be able to show your soul..
I.e. Someone with very basic piano skills, will not be able to show his soul on the piano..

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 09:09 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
the Magic of Music.

Just one question : does it make you feel superior pointing this out time after time?

To be nice I am not going to reply, ...have a wonderful day.
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 09:12 AM

smile
Posted by: Bernie9

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/23/19 12:00 PM

He really is a great guy who has taken his performances seriously for many years,

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 04/24/19 10:46 AM

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Dnj
the Magic of Music.

To be nice I am not going to reply, ...have a wonderful day.

Good, wise choice..
Well atleast now you must realise how this attitude feels to others..
So i am glad You realise now, people not performing live are not lesser beings on this forum...
Whome might have relevant opinions on music topics.

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/07/19 12:45 PM

I found a clip of a (supposedly) church choir doing this tune. It's pretty cute and does a good job of capturing the spirit of this classic. The only thing messing it up is the amateurish sax solo, but for a group of soccer moms, I thought they did a great job. Shows what a good choir director can do. Those ladies up front had a nice little rhythmic step going, and the tennis-shoe-ed soloist was very good. Maybe not Lucky Peterson quality but good enough to get a staid old Presbyterian congregation going smile smile smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7FWy3qyxs

chas

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/07/19 01:41 PM

All forums and groups have a Donny ----- they help fill in the part that is missing.

John C.
Posted by: Ketron_AJ

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/07/19 02:06 PM

I found a clip of a (supposedly) church choir doing this tune. It's pretty cute and does a good job of capturing the spirit of this classic. The only thing messing it up is the amateurish sax solo, but for a group of soccer moms, I thought they did a great job. Shows what a good choir director can do. Those ladies up front had a nice little rhythmic step going, and the tennis-shoe-ed soloist was very good. Maybe not Lucky Peterson quality but good enough to get a staid old Presbyterian congregation going smile smile smile.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD7FWy3qyxs

chas

Here is the same song performed live on KETRON AUDYA:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Jtvf3JD4A0

Pay attention to the
* Live Drums (thanks to Foitis and Sokratis)
* Live Bass
* Live Guitar

And notice the 'Blues Brothers' twist at the end.... the edge styles have over midifiles!!!
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/07/19 11:07 PM

After listening to that awesome choir I just could not bare to listen to the Audya version . It sounded sterile and hokey . Not the best comparison for sure .

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 05:31 AM

Sorry AJ, have to agree with Spalding here. No comparison.

chas
Posted by: spalding1968

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 06:41 AM

Sorry AJ .No offence intended . Just my immediate response . This kind of song needs two handed rhythmic soulful playing . Without it , the song loses pretty much all its liveliness and joy . Still appreciate your post though my brother 👍🏿

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 11:58 AM

There are various version of this great tune.

Here is the version the Audya followed:- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyjf6rEnwcg

Now, all we need to do is add vocals :-)

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 01:19 PM

Here's how it should NEVER be done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lM75PC5mIao

chas
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 03:12 PM

You're right, Chas. That version was AWFUL. The arranger version wasn't any better.

R.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 03:46 PM

I agree with chas' comments about the various versions, but just to clarify, after doing some research I found that the SUNY -State University of NY in Purcase NY) Soul Voices is (or at least was in 2011 when this was recorded) an elite and diverse group of vocalist in the school ....
So, chas, while some of them MIGHT be 'soccer moms' now, I don't know if any of them were then ... wink

And the second vocal version was obviously more about the conductor than the group ...

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 05:00 PM

Okay Tony, I admit I didn't check to see who those 'soccer moms' were (well they LOOKED like soccer moms smile ). I should have known they sounded wayyy too good to be a bunch of total amateurs. I guess that's what prompted YOU to check them out smile. Of course I'm kind of disappointed. I so wanted to believe that a first-rate choir/chorus director could take a bunch of no-names and whip them into a great-sounding choir. Oh well. Thanks for bursting my bubble smile.

chas
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 05:19 PM

So sorry, chas ... but they ARE still 'no names' ... does ANYONE know any of their names ?!? ... other than friends and family of course ...

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 09:49 PM

At the end of the day, there is no global right/better nor wrong/worst version - thus no one can determin how it can/should and can't/should not be done as such a decision (if it exists) lies in the hands of those for whom the song is being performed for. So ... if playing for a jazz crowd (for an example), then doing the funky / arranger version may probably cut it ... just as if playing for an up-beat latin crowd, the 'choir' /mellow/laid back version may easily be frowned upon as well.

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 10:28 PM

AJ, I like that, I so agree. We only have opinions. We see and hear things through our own eyes and ears.

John C.

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/08/19 10:46 PM

You're right AJ, and that's why, within the confines of this small group, we have to rely on CONSENSUS. Based on that, the ratings would be:
1. The Lucky Peterson version
2. The SUNY Soul Voices choir version
3. .
4. .
5. .
6. .
7. God-awful choir version
8. The Arranger version

Not a knock on the instrument but the lack of rhythmic feel (syncopated rhythm) and the 'mechanical' nature of it, make it a 'no-go' for me (but I admit, it's subjective). There's also some missing chord interplay that's integral to the feel of the song (may not be possible on an arranger???). JMO. If it were me, I'd try to find a suitable drum pattern, turn off the auto-accomp, dial up the best piano voice, and play it manually. But that's just me.

chas

Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul - 06/09/19 07:21 AM