SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4702 - 06/24/06 09:35 AM beginner
FaceMask Offline

Loc: Billings, MT, USA
ive been playing drums for eight years and have been thinking about picking up a new instrument to experiment with. im really getting into the electronic music scene but i still dont know much about it - what would you guys suggest a good synth would be for a beginner?

a store in my town carries the KORG Electribe A mkII and thats what ive been thinking on purchasing.

one last thing - i have absolutely no piano skills, are they even necessary if i just want to stick with synths like the Electribe? thanks a lot guys

#4703 - 06/24/06 12:18 PM Re: beginner
3351 Offline

Loc: Toronto, Canada.
Actually there's a thread just below this one. Similar question. Before posting always check out other threads. THe answer you're looking for might be there.

But since you asked...

Well, I usually advise all beginners to spend as much time as it is humanly possible to learn as much as you can about the history of electronic music and different types of synthesis. Just google that stuff. It's all over the web.

Google for keywords" Analog synthesis, Bob Moog, Modular synthesizers, Virtual Analog modeling, Wavetable synthesis, FM synthesis, Additive synthesis, sampling, sampler, MIDI.

I also have a few questions for you. What kind of music are you planning on making? What type of sounds (name a few bands that use synth sounds that you like). Also, let me know the specs of your computer. Will take it from there.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 06-24-2006).]

#4704 - 06/24/06 12:44 PM Re: beginner
3351 Offline

To answer your other question:

No! You do not need to be a classically trained hairdresser to play synths. As long as you can play by ear and know a few chords and melodies that's good enough for a start. Taking piano lessons is not a must. But it helps if you really want to be a good keyboard player.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 06-24-2006).]

#4705 - 06/25/06 01:26 PM Re: beginner
FaceMask Offline

my main influences are bands like The Bravery, Kaiser Chiefs, Mute Math, Daft Punk, etc... ive been playing in a indie rock band for a while and id love to throw in some electric sounds

as for my computer...well...lets just say its pretty 'dated' and about time to get a new one heh.

thanks a ton for all your help, ive been reading up on synthesis and im kindof over loaded with information, a lot to read, but its all really interesting

oh and about the piano thing, thats why i wanted to stick with a synth like the one i mentioned earlier and just work with patterns rather then playing keys

#4706 - 06/25/06 05:02 PM Re: beginner
3351 Offline

Well, if electronic synth sound is what you're after I think you'll be more than happy with any VA (Virtual Analog) synthesizer. As long as it has lots of knobs, an arpeggiator and a good sound. Most VA synths are great. I'd rather not recommend any specific models.

But just so you have something to google:

Access Virus B, Virus C, Virus indigo, Virus classic.

Novation Supernova I , Supernova II.

Waldorf Q, Micro Qk, Microwave XTk.

Nord Lead.

Korg MS2000, Microkorg.

There's more but I thought I'd just mention a few of my favorites. Sounds like you've made up your mind already but it never hurts to check out a few more synths.

VA synths are fantastic to work with if you are just getting into electronic music and need a "true electronic" synth sound.

-ED-

#4707 - 06/26/06 06:26 PM Re: beginner
FaceMask Offline

ive thought about the MicroKorg for some time. im much more attracted to synths with less amount of keys (due to my whole lack of piano skills thing) i also like the older, vintage synths. they have such a cool look and sound great.

well pay day is tomorrow! cant wait to make my purchase and begin a whole new world of music! thanks for all your help!

#4708 - 06/26/06 08:44 PM Re: beginner
FaceMask Offline

another synth i had in mind was the Korg KLC1 Soft Synthesizer Legacy Collection with Controller (http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/K...ller?sku=702265)

i also forgot to mention im not looking dump a lot of money into a synth (yet) mainly because im a total beginner and wanna start with basics

#4709 - 06/27/06 06:39 AM Re: beginner
3351 Offline

Real analog vintage synths are a lot more expensive and difficult to maintain.

Virtual Analog synths I've mentioned are quite good sonically and are pretty basic. Most models' I've mentioned are discontinued actually but a lot easier to find and maintain than any synth with analog filters and oscillators. Also, you've mentioned arpeggiators and how you like to use them and well... not that many true analog vintage synths have arpeggiators. If they do they usually cost the big bucks. Usually that is.

DSI Evolver uses both digital and analog oscillators and has analog filters. You might want to check that one out as well.

Korg Legacy collection synths are certainly worth checking out. But only if your computer is up to specs.

-ED-

[This message has been edited by 3351 (edited 06-27-2006).]

#4710 - 06/29/06 03:41 AM Re: beginner
Justin Gazda Offline

Loc: Marietta GA, USA
The korg legacy collection is a joke. Virtual synths are fine, but having a computer that models an actual synth of the past means that the computer program will be crippled and unable to be programmed beyond the complexity of the hardware synth it is emulating. Computers have the power to make any sound, so then why intentionally limit the programmability of it for the purpose of authenticity? I just don't want to see anybody spend hard earned or stolen money on successful marketing of no tangible product. If you want unlimited sound possibilties, download C-sound and master that. Alternatively, there are dozens of other programs floating around free to use. Or get an ensoniq mirage for less than 100 bucks and sample waveforms to be manipulated by the filters. Just something to chew on.

#4711 - 06/29/06 07:43 AM Re: beginner
3351 Offline

I guess not all synth users see it that way. As far as efficiency and features the Korg Legacy collection has a number of advantages over the original hardware. convenience being one of them. Price being another. Good enough for most people. Simple as that.

There are also some minor modifications and added features (like M1 having optional resonant filters and all of the ROM card sets as part of the library etc). Really, more than enough to play with for beginners.

Of course for those of us looking for new and complex synths that are merely based on the original design something like the software M1 is nothing but a joke. Yet I can think of some die hard wavestation programmers who love the Legacy wavestation.
For obvious reasons of convenience and so on.

I'm not too keen on the whole thing to be honest. I'd rather see Korg do what NI have done with FM7. May be some day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online