SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#47005 - 07/30/07 06:29 AM Revisiting Basics
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I was thinking of different tutorials we could present at our Jam in March, and I thought of revisiting some old basics that some may forget to use.

I was preparing a solo presentation for my weekly dance and was looking at Atcheson,Topeka,and Santa Fe. Since it has two verses,bridge, and back to the verse for an ending,I decided to get out my foot controller and work on it. By using different lead instruments in each panel, and changing the variations in each, I had a good arrangement. The whole process took fifteen minutes.

I realize this is nothing new for most, but we might need to be reminded of the great tools we have at our fingertips.

#47006 - 07/30/07 07:12 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Bernie, What a beautiful start, let’s give it a title. “How to improve a song by using features on my keyboard”. And I feel it is important to stay to the basics.

John C.

#47007 - 07/30/07 10:18 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Joan Offline

Loc: Hampshire U.K.
Hi - I was thinking of mentioning this some time ago when I came across this specific feature.

We all have keyboards and possibly initially we explore some of the new features when we upgrade, never realising that there are probably features from way back that we never looked at anyway. I am certainly guilty of this.

Prior to my owning my KN7 I was not aware of this forum and I have looked at options on this keyboard that I would never have looked for had I not read about them here.

I was browsing through the SOUND EXPLORER recently because someone asked me if there was a particular instrument. I looked in the selection where I expected to find it in the Sound Group and it wasn't there.

I knew there must be one and so looked in the Sound Explorer. What a pleasant surprise! I had looked a few times for a specific instrument but never browsed much around it. I found quite a selection both Electric and Pipe Organs and there are quite a few piano sounds which I was not aware of - both in the Piano listing and under GM towards the bottom of the list. Strings galore etc., etc.,

Altogether loads and loads more sounds than you realise. Worth a look - If you only find half a dozen it is a bonus - you can always save them to your Favourites. Joan

#47008 - 07/30/07 10:45 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Audrey Turner Offline

Loc: Cambridge, Cambs, England
This type of information is exactly what we are aiming for at the Cambridge Convention in November, not so much for us loyal 'Techies' but to help and guide the next generation i.e: buyers of the second-hand Technics keyboards who may be a little perplexed by the technicalities of the keyboard.

Having said that, for me at least, even after 3 years of owning the KN7000, almost daily I discover something else new to me and this is what keeps me interested in my KN7s.

I shall look forward to other comments on this topic.

Audrey

#47009 - 08/01/07 08:51 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Common knowledge, but not to all. “The Equalizer”

As a piano technician I have had the opportunity to hear the same piano in different settings. Each room or hall adds it’s own effect to a piano or a KN7000.

My questions;
1-Are you adjusting the Equalizer (Page 163 in your manual)
to get a desired setting?
2-If you adjust them to get your setting do you lose them when you turn on your keyboard?

I have a critical ear so I do use the Equalizer. After losing my settings each time I turned on the KN7000 I finally discovered Data Protection on page 184 in the manual.
1-Press Customize – right bottom of keyboard
2-Press Data Protection
3-Scroll to Total Equalizer – select ON.

Your settings will not change, they are now protected.

John C.

#47010 - 08/01/07 02:23 PM Re: Revisiting Basics
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Something I never use is "Composer Chord Map".
Am I missing something?
Would it help my playing sound better?

------------------
Larry
SynthZone Frapper

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#47011 - 08/02/07 06:40 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
There is so much to learn & to share about the AWESOME 7K.....

Mine has been with me for a bit more than 3 years & like many of you I too "discover" new things about it, frequently as a result of exploring or sharing.

This forum is my absolute favorite & this is not the only one devoted to the 7K....So much information offered & knowledge shared.... I am so very appreciative as there is no one in my tiny little area of New Mexico who has a 7K or any Technics KB at all.

#47012 - 08/02/07 06:52 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
Whoops! Pressed the wrong button!

Recently I received an SD card from one of the generous members who has posted above.....

I am so enjoying listening to the wonderful sounds & playing along....(when I can).... Additionally, it is great to explore how her music is set up... like what rhythms she uses, how she programs her Panel Memory & Sound Memory.... With her entire format available it provokes new ideas & I get real excited by all the wonderful information to be gleaned. All of this & a new musical friend additionally!

What my new friend has done for me is so special.... The next best thing would be to meet her and the rest of you at one of the gatherings that are coming up.....

Sharing your music via sharing your SD cards is for me, the ultimate way to go! I am working on mine for my new wonderful friend...

ELIZABETH

#47013 - 08/03/07 01:14 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
RMepstead Offline

Loc: Wootton Bassett - Wiltshire - ...
Wouldn't it be great, ladies, to have just one attendee at the Nov convention in Cambridge from across the pond...
Rog

#47014 - 08/03/07 03:12 AM Re: Revisiting Basics
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
In regard to EQ, I play in different venues and sometimes I call up a registration that is not suitable. For example, I loaded an all piano that sounded great in my studio, which is a spare bedroom with carpeting. I play this in a bigger,livelier room and it is too brittle sounding. I compensated somewhat(post EQ) with my Bose, but suspect there is a better way to anticipate changes. The reverb needed lowering and the lows needed to be advanced.

I guess the point is that I need to look at the equalization on the KN7000, which I never have heretofor.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online