SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#470099 - 05/20/19 10:44 AM Re: My Genos Froze....... [Re: Dnj]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Unfortunately Abby DIDN'T have any other choices, given his location and time requirements. He had auditioned the Genos several times previously and never did like it much. Apparently he still doesn't. I tried for a full day and didn't like it that much either.
As to backup...it's easy to have MP3s, midi files, etc., on laptop, tablet, phone...
I have two reasons for playing everything in stereo. First, because it sounds way better, second because I always have a backup p.a. with me. If the mixer were to go out, I can run directly into the various inputs on one of the Mauis. If one of them goes out, I can use the other one.
All the Genos owners over at PSR Tutorial are getting upset because someone has the gall to actually criticize the keyboard for which they paid so much money.
It's just gear. One size doesn't fit all.

#470100 - 05/20/19 10:50 AM Re: My Genos Froze....... [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Unfortunately Abby DIDN'T have any other choices, given his location and time requirements. He had auditioned the Genos several times previously and never did like it much. Apparently he still doesn't. I tried for a full day and didn't like it that much either.
As to backup...it's easy to have MP3s, midi files, etc., on laptop, tablet, phone...
I have two reasons for playing everything in stereo. First, because it sounds way better, second because I always have a backup p.a. with me. If the mixer were to go out, I can run directly into the various inputs on one of the Mauis. If one of them goes out, I can use the other one.
All the Genos owners over at PSR Tutorial are getting upset because someone has the gall to actually criticize the keyboard for which they paid so much money.

I agree with your Don,....also I think Yamaha people are getting frustrated that no new models are being released and the tension and anticipation yearning for NEW is building.
And Yes it's even further fueled when the high price burns a whole in your soul & in your pocket and lower priced MOTL units sound just as good..Working KB pros know what I am talking about.

Take care

#470103 - 05/20/19 11:49 AM Re: My Genos Froze....... [Re: Dnj]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
I feel like Gary nailed it. Motherboard damaged by spikes, surges, or brown-outs. These are computers at heart. Especially in an unstable environment, a UPS is your friend!!

#470125 - 05/20/19 09:24 PM Re: My Genos Froze....... [Re: DonM]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By DonM

Hmmm...

Well yes, we have seen that before, haven’t we? At PSR...
Its a lovely friendly website, but some people are just a little to much biased to Yamaha..

Its just like with apples and pears, most like apples, some like pears.
Where it comes to taste, its just opinions and they are all vallid as long as they are not biased.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#470126 - 05/20/19 09:24 PM Re: My Genos Froze....... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Bachus, I believe that the problem may have been the result of corrupt power surges, which are quite common on many of the Mediterranean islands and also in the Caribbean islands, where I performed when I was a kid in the US Navy many years ago. When UPS systems became available at a reasonable price, I purchased one, though I rarely used it because of it's weight. Now, they are much lighter and electronically controlled to switch over so there is no lag time. When we encountered those kind of problems, the problem was never a high voltage surge, but instead, the voltage would frequently fall below minimum required for our gear, which resulted in either shut down, or lock up.

Gary cool

I agree with you..

#470127 - 05/20/19 09:32 PM Re: My Genos Froze....... [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Aside from the power FREEZE problem he had ......
why doesn't a Seasoned pro like Abby like the sound
of GENOS vs the others he plays every night on a gig as mentioned in the OP?

"I am trying so hard to like this instrument, but the sound is terrible and I struggle every day
to get a decent sound out of it, Especially from the preset styles.
It's incredible that the 3rd party styles posted on this very forum sound better than many
of the Genos preset styles.
I suspect that whoever designed or programmed these styles, especially the drums,
has never gigged in the real world of noisy stages, bars, restaurants, hotels etc.and have
probably spent most of their time in the safety of a sanitized studio."

When you read between the lines, you read the same old story..

Yamaha arrangers are build to sound good trough headphones and on GNS-ms1 speakers or a set of monitors in a living room... the styles are arranged for solo playing.. and are often to busy... 10 years ago people didn’t like the tyros because how Yamaha does drums...

I as a non performer can see why performers would choose ketron or Korg above the Genos... and why home players ar so happy with the Genos..

My Genos sounds great, i keep discovering new sounds almost every day, some are so beatifull that they make me emotional just by pkaying them..

#470129 - 05/21/19 12:37 AM Re: My Genos Froze....... [Re: Dnj]
Bernie9 Online   content

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Except Abby has played Yamaha for years. I believe he about wore out his Tyros 3, so, as Donny asks, why is Genos less suited?

#470134 - 05/21/19 07:12 AM Re: My Genos Froze....... [Re: Bachus]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Originally Posted By Bachus

Its a lovely friendly website, but some people are just a little to much biased to Yamaha..

Where it comes to taste, its just opinions and they are all vallid as long as they are not biased.

The PSR Tutorial site IS, primarily, a Yamaha website, a site where Yamaha keyboard owners go to learn how to use their Yamaha arranger keyboards. Hence, the name of the site.

In contrast, the Synthzone has a General Arranger Keyboard forum section, where all arranger keyboards are covered.

All the best,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#470143 - 05/21/19 08:33 AM Re: My Genos Froze....... [Re: travlin'easy]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Originally Posted By Bachus

The PSR Tutorial site IS, primarily, a Yamaha website, a site where Yamaha keyboard owners go to learn how to use their Yamaha arranger keyboards. Hence, the name of the site.

In contrast, the Synthzone has a General Arranger Keyboard forum section, where all arranger keyboards are covered.

All the best,

Gary cool

Even on a fansite, it would be better if people let some room for criticisme..
But being critical on Psr tutorial often feels like walking on eggs..

Sure its a website where people go to learn and share about Yamaha, and its thebest website on the world for that. But often the criticisme has a reason.. and closing eyes and ears for it is something i personally dont understand and leads to lots of unneccesary frustration on both sides,..

In the above topic, someone even acused Abby of being payed by the competition to be critical about the Genos.. and i tought really? How frustrated can you get just because of a different opinion?

Edited by Bachus (05/21/19 08:37 AM)

#470145 - 05/21/19 09:18 AM Re: My Genos Froze....... [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
You can't convince a TRUE BELIEVER of ANYTHING. For the true believer (fanboy in musical terms), there is no place for reason, no room for logic, and most of all, no tolerance for a differing opinion. I'm not a religious person but some of my favorite quotes happen to be biblical, ie. "THERE IS NONE SO BLIND AS HE THAT WILL NOT SEE".

chas

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online