Source PSR Tutorial Forum:..

"My Genos froze last night, 5 minutes before starting a gig.
The buttons didn't respond, neither did the menus or anything else for that matter.
I tried switching it off but that didn't work either, so I had to unplug the power cable
in order to switch it off.
I then did a reset, just to be sure, and then it got working again.
I have owned a Tyros3 for 10 years, and not once did it ever freeze.
It was robust and reliable until the motherboard started giving me problems a
couple of months ago.
I have owned the Genos for almost 3 months now and it's already showing weaknesses.
I am not a big fan of the Genos but had to buy it out of necessity 2 days before starting
my gig season, when my T3 gave me trouble and there was nothing else available at short
notice.
I am trying so hard to like this instrument, but the sound is terrible and I struggle every day
to get a decent sound out of it, Especially from the preset styles.
It's incredible that the 3rd party styles posted on this very forum sound better than many
of the Genos preset styles.
I suspect that whoever designed or programmed these styles, especially the drums,
has never gigged in the real world of noisy stages, bars, restaurants, hotels etc.and have
probably spent most of their time in the safety of a sanitized studio.
Car manufacturers clock 10s of thousands of miles testing their cars, from the coldest
arctic climates to the hottest deserts of the world, not to mention racetracks like the
Nurburgring,, before presenting them to the public as a finished product.
I am now gigging 6 times a week, so I won't really be able to try any more adjustments
until early November, when the gigs slow down a bit.
The compressor settings aren't much to write home about, as all they seem to do is
mainly just raise the general volume or strangle the right hand voices when
increased.
After trying various EQ settings, without any improvement in sound, I only succeeded
in damaging the woofer on one of my main JBL speakers.
This is a flawed instrument in so many ways, and I refuse to insistently repeat the mantra
of "Genos good, Genos good" as some may want to do here.
Doing so would be like making excuses for a partner who constantly lets you down.
It is time for us to come clean and admit that what we have here is an instrument
with questionable durability and reliability, not to mention other flaws.
I put an instrument to the test 6 nights a week every week, for the most diverse public
that one can find anywhere, maintaining the gig intensity for 180 nights every year,
before things slow down to 2 or 3 gigs a week.
So I like to think that this has enabled me to have a bit of knowledge about sound quality
and dynamics.
And just to dispel the notion that this is Yamaha bashing, I have exclusively used Yamaha
instruments since 1971, apart from my current JBLs and Kawai MP11, and a Fender Rhodes
I owned from 1980 to 1984.
I've owned Yamaha Organs, Synthesizers, Leslies, Amplifiers, PA sound systems,Saxophones, Flutes, Pianos, a Trumpet, and 2 Yamaha motorbikes."

Abby (Pianoman)

Thoughts?

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLJo1iW9nz1GWzeg1QBl-1wVx14CDWlBqx&app=desktop[/video]

Edited by Dnj (05/20/19 08:23 AM)