SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#468996 - 04/22/19 09:04 AM It's not the keyboard, it's the soul
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Donny posted something awhile ago about New Orleans style piano. I'm not sure if this is an example (or variation) of it or not 'cause it sounds kind of 'gospel-ly'. This is a well-covered civil rights anthem written by Dr. Billy Taylor, a wonderful jazz pianist and a friend of my Mother's. I love the catchy rhythm, gospely feel, and minimalist arrangement. In fact, it's so repetitive, it could be a good candidate for an arranger if you could find a suitable style.

So Donny, would this be considered 'New Orleans' style? If not, what? It seems to rely on the rhythm mostly for it's impact. In any case, it's very easy to play and can certainly get you to clapping your hands.

chas

[video:youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIuWvn6O4pE
[/video]

#469005 - 04/22/19 12:26 PM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Not a religious person, but this is historic, "feel good" music which has a real place in American culture. AND, IT'S fun TO PLAY.

Thanks,

R.

#469006 - 04/22/19 12:33 PM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Sounds a bit like Otis Redding kinda playing style to me - really enjoyed it.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#469014 - 04/22/19 01:29 PM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
So Donny, would this be considered 'New Orleans' style? If not, what? It seems to rely on the rhythm mostly for it's impact. In any case, it's very easy to play and can certainly get you to clapping your hands.

Hi Chas,
Some great stuff there played for sure I love it. I am by far no expert on what is considered "New Orleans Style"
there are so many played there and have roots too like :

New Orleans Musical Styles:

BRASS BAND. The instruments: trumpet, trombone, drums, saxophone, sousaphone, and tuba. ...
RAGTIME. The Instruments: piano, sometimes accompanied by brass instrument. ...
DIXIE LAND/TRADITIONAL JAZZ. ...
CAJUN MUSIC. ...
ZYDECO. ...
GYPSY JAZZ. ...
BOUNCE.

But I know one thing, I dig the crap out of it!!! cool2
It makes me feel good, keys and inspires me inside, after all isn't that what music is meant to do?... heck I'm still reeling from my trip 5 years ago to Shreveport playing with Don Mason and all the country boys down south like Joe Lee Williams, and Hank, RIP, etc,
..it was a honor to be on stage playing with them. I certainly learned a lot and had a great time time doing it.
Hope to make the trip down south again in my future with some stops along the way. Thanx for sharing

#469017 - 04/22/19 01:45 PM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Donny, yeah. There are a lot of piano styles out there that could probably be called 'New Orleans' style piano; Dr John, Professor Longhair, even guys like Fats Domino and Huey 'Piano' Smith (remember him?). This particular set with Lucky Peterson (who I love as a bluesman) and his wife just grabbed me because it's so basic, yet so organic?, catchy? something? I don't know. Just upright acoustic piano, bass, and minimal drum kit - yet totally toe-tapping/hand clapping vibe. Love this stuff.

chas

#469020 - 04/22/19 02:24 PM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Donny, yeah. There are a lot of piano styles out there that could probably be called 'New Orleans' style piano; Dr John, Professor Longhair, even guys like Fats Domino and Huey 'Piano' Smith (remember him?). This particular set with Lucky Peterson (who I love as a bluesman) and his wife just grabbed me because it's so basic, yet so organic?, catchy? something? I don't know. Just upright acoustic piano, bass, and minimal drum kit - yet totally toe-tapping/hand clapping vibe. Love this stuff.

chas

I hear ya Chas....
“When there's music in your soul, there's soul in your music.” cool2

#469021 - 04/22/19 02:45 PM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Lucky Peterson?

I regularly listen to his recordings while walking for excercise or cutting the lawn. I like his Album “Lucky Peterson Tribute to Jimmy Smith”. Yup it’s organ stuff but since his name came up for discussion.

[video:youtube]http://youtu.be/i9mMzGdmwEQ[/video]

Edited by Stephenm52 (04/22/19 03:05 PM)

#469028 - 04/22/19 03:34 PM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Yeah Steve. I love Lucky. Whether it's a syncopated shuffle like the one you posted or a slow blues or just mid-tempo 'gut bucket', one thing you can depend on with Lucky is that absolutely exquisite timing (rhythmic feel). That's the part of (pop/jazz/blues/rock) music that you can't teach. You either feel it or you don't. I think John C. would agree with that. Some guys will have a 'magical' night when everything seems to be 'in the pocket'; and then their are some guys (or bands) that are ALWAYS there. Example - those great Count Basie bands of the 40's-60's.\

Thanks for posting that Steve. Lucky was a child prodigy, you know. He went through some rough times (even living on the streets) but seems to have been rehabilitated.

chas

#469033 - 04/22/19 04:37 PM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Yeah Steve. I love Lucky. Whether it's a syncopated shuffle like the one you posted or a slow blues or just mid-tempo 'gut bucket', one thing you can depend on with Lucky is that absolutely exquisite timing (rhythmic feel). That's the part of (pop/jazz/blues/rock) music that you can't teach. You either feel it or you don't. I think John C. would agree with that. Some guys will have a 'magical' night when everything seems to be 'in the pocket'; and then their are some guys (or bands) that are ALWAYS there. Example - those great Count Basie bands of the 40's-60's.\

Thanks for posting that Steve. Lucky was a child prodigy, you know. He went through some rough times (even living on the streets) but seems to have been rehabilitated.

chas

Right on Chas, you hit the nail on the head you either have or you don't it sure is a gift. I didn't know Lucky was a child prodigy. Just looked him up on Wikpedia and looks as though his first album was at 5 years old. cool

#469040 - 04/22/19 10:11 PM Re: It's not the keyboard, it's the soul [Re: cgiles]
Bachus Offline

The keyboard is something that makes the "Job" more fun (to me) even tough it is not a job..

I agree with you that it is the soul that speaks in the music
But one also needs to teach the soul how to speak
And thats training, practicing and practicing more

Nice music straight from the soul

http://keyszone.boards.net

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online