SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#468780 - 04/17/19 06:46 AM Which keyboard....
DannyUK Offline

Hey,

I hope I am finding you all well. I haven't posted here in a while so it has been nice to go through and read posts just to catch up a little.

I have been so busy with work, more busier than ever before and also covering stupid hours including weekends so not had a lot of time for keyboard playing for a while but since things have calmed down a little I really want to get back to it.

My T4 is still the main keyboard and it has been for many years & the PA-900 is perfect as well for that extra bit of difference (The GEM WK8 Megastation I keep for historical/nostalgic reasons mainly). You know when you reach a point where you are absolutely happy with something, the T4 especially, is still as amazing as it was from the day I got it. I did dabble with the thought of Genos but not a 76 key version and also at the expense of the T4 so it would mean having both but I couldn't justify having two TOTL keyboards, it would be far too much. The Genos sounds incredible though.

So my set up hasn't really changed much for a long time with the exception of having to sell my PSR-S950 soon after only having it a few months (this was a big mistake), I was forced into it a little. The idea there was wanting to own a kind of portable variation of the T4 and to an extent it did fit the bill for a lot of the things I wanted, but it lacked those vocal voices found in the T4 among a few other things.

Fast forward a few years on and I am back to that position, but of course there has been two models since with the S970 & S975. I have read a lot about these two and I get the feeling that this would perfectly do the trick, unless someone can give me a reason why it wouldn't, for example, if another S model would be due out imminently that I don't know about!?

I still have all my Expansion Packs I purchased for the S950, I presume these would work ok on the S975?

Thank you very much indeed,
All the best,
Danny.

Edited by DannyUK (04/17/19 06:52 AM)

#468781 - 04/17/19 06:55 AM Re: Which keyboard.... [Re: DannyUK]
Dnj Offline

Buy a Genos use the T4 as backup...good luck.

#468782 - 04/17/19 07:14 AM Re: Which keyboard.... [Re: Dnj]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Hey Dnj, I hope all is well smile

Lol, that's two TOTL's !! Can only fit one I'm afraid.. And the T4 is no way portable !!! so that would be a no grin Nice try though ! laugh

#468783 - 04/17/19 07:31 AM Re: Which keyboard.... [Re: DannyUK]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Good luck making a difficult choice, Danny:

It's wonderful we have so many great arranger KB's from which to choose. I now own a set of Yamaha Arrangers. My latest acquisition is a used 970. Before that I relied on a used 910... and even before that, I traded an old Ford Pickup truck for a PSR-2000. I can't bring myself to get rid of any of them... perhaps I am guilty of being a hoarder... LOL! At least I don't have to haul them around... or perform in public. Songwriters are not all performers... but I do attempt to sing my own demos in order to "peddle my wares" in an overcrowded Music Market.

Great to see you posting again. Good luck on your decision.

#468785 - 04/17/19 07:45 AM Re: Which keyboard.... [Re: DannyUK]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DannyUK
Originally Posted By Dnj

Lol, that's two TOTL's !! Can only fit one I'm afraid.. And the T4 is no way portable !!! so that would be a no grin Nice try though ! laugh

Danny....If that's the case it's a simple choice since your a Yamaha player you can't go wrong with either the S970/S975 .....
and don't rule out the very capable S670 which I am having a ball with and it wont hurt your pocket either. cool2

#468786 - 04/17/19 07:51 AM Re: Which keyboard.... [Re: DannyUK]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Danny...there are experts on this forum, that could give you advice regarding any of the Current TOTL and MOTL arrangers. Also, if your looking to enhance your sound options, there are many here that could assist you with Yamaha or Korg options.

Some simple questions might be:
Are you playing live?
Are you a home recording artist?
Do you feel the T4 provides all your arranger needs?
Donny’s right...you sound like a yammie arranger guy. So Genos is the top. If you need to drag it around...could be a problem.
You would probably be better off selling the T4 now as the value will continue to slide as newer models are released.

Again, there are masters of about every arranger keyboard on this forum.
Just ask for specific AK questions.
JM

Edited by jingleman (04/17/19 07:53 AM)

#468787 - 04/17/19 07:57 AM Re: Which keyboard.... [Re: Riceroni9]
DannyUK Offline

Hey Riceroni9,

Thank you very much for your reply smile

You know to be fair, you mentioned that you could be a hoarder!! Well if I had the room, I would certainly try and obtain a few of keyboards I've had in the past, especially the PSR-8000 as that one was really dear to me being my first real experience of a TOTL, but the longer I leave it the less chance of getting one in decent condition I suspect. I just don't have the room frown But I do keep an eye on Ebay just to see if they are still about.

You're absolutely correct in saying we have so many choices these days and it is very heard because you won't find a bad sounding instrument and it's just now down to personal preference & ease of use.

Thanks again..
All the best.

#468790 - 04/17/19 08:44 AM Re: Which keyboard.... [Re: DannyUK]
Eric, B Offline

Loc: Ventura, Ca, USA
Hi Danny,
Good to see you again.
I used to have the Tyros 4 and bought the PSR S-970 as a backup an for smaller gigs.
After setting it all up I got it to do about 90% - 95% of what I could do with my T4.
The 975 has a little more memory and the EDM and Salsa expansion pack preinstalled. All other voices and styles are the same.
All my styles from the T4 worked well in the 970.
The 970 has fewer DSP's, some of my styles with a lot of distortion guitars from the T4 had to be reworked.
You are missing some SA2 voices, only SA voices.
Other than that it is still a great KB and perfect back up for the T4.
It is truly a mini T4.
I don't think the 975 is worth the extra money ...
Good luck.
Eric

#468794 - 04/17/19 09:56 AM Re: Which keyboard.... [Re: Eric, B]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By Eric, B
Hi Danny,
Good to see you again.
I used to have the Tyros 4 and bought the PSR S-970 as a backup an for smaller gigs.
After setting it all up I got it to do about 90% - 95% of what I could do with my T4.
The 975 has a little more memory and the EDM and Salsa expansion pack preinstalled. All other voices and styles are the same.
All my styles from the T4 worked well in the 970.
The 970 has fewer DSP's, some of my styles with a lot of distortion guitars from the T4 had to be reworked.
You are missing some SA2 voices, only SA voices.
Other than that it is still a great KB and perfect back up for the T4.
It is truly a mini T4.
I don't think the 975 is worth the extra money ...
Good luck.
Eric

Hi Eric,

Thank you for your reply and great overview of what seems like it is exactly what I am looking for. I was never expecting a complete match up including the SA2 voices & DSP effects, as I've already experienced the S950 and you could argue that it was a mini T3, which in some ways it possibly was, in the same way you described the S975 to the T4.

Thank you once again, and yeah its good to read and post here again smile

Danny.

Edited by DannyUK (04/17/19 11:39 AM)

#468795 - 04/17/19 10:00 AM Re: Which keyboard.... [Re: Dnj]
DannyUK Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By DannyUK
Originally Posted By Dnj

Danny....If that's the case it's a simple choice since your a Yamaha player you can't go wrong with either the S970/S975 .....
and don't rule out the very capable S670 which I am having a ball with and it wont hurt your pocket either. cool2

Thank you very much. Indeed I am a Yamaha player first and foremost these days!!! But with a Korg thrown in lol..

I think it will be the S975, although sure I consider the other models but I think I've set my heart on the S975 now. I've not heard a single negative thing here so far, so then it's already helped make my choice.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online