SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#4683 - 10/11/05 09:36 PM A Tech Puzzler
Anonymous
Unregistered

I have a Korg Trinity, fully loaded, all options.

Trying to connect it to a SONY RCD-W3 audio CD Burner to record digitally.

Using an Optical Digital cable (yes, new) I connect from the Digital Output on the Trinity to the digital In on the Sony, set the Sony to record digitally ("Optical"),
and set the internal clock of the Trinity to Digital.

The Sony has a Sample Rate Converter with a range of 32kHz to 48 kHz that is supposed
to automatically convert the incoming digital signal to the standard 44.1. The Trinity signal is 48kHz - within this range.

But ...

The Sony gives me the error message "UNLOCK" and won't record, despite every approach I try. (Records fine using analog inputs from Trinity.)

Anyone have any ideas what to do here?

Neither Korg nor Sony tech have been able to help.

Thanks!!

#4684 - 10/14/05 06:01 PM Re: A Tech Puzzler
TheSonicEnergyAuthority Offline

Loc: Peterborough,Cambridgeshire,UK
Grapping at straws here, as I don't have any of your kit, but:

You set the Korg's clock to internal surely?
Keep it at 44.1KHz if possiable, 48KHz I think is the norm on Trinys.
That way the recording device (the Sony CD recorder) can then sync to it. That's why the Sony is saying 'unlock' there's nothing for it to clock to.

------------------
The Sonic Energy Authority - a sound investment

#4685 - 10/17/05 08:01 PM Re: A Tech Puzzler
MORPH! Offline

Loc: Laguna Beach, California, Unit...
i AGREE WITH WUPS Sorry.
I agree with Sonic. Try stepping down the rate on the Trin to 44.1. Either the Sync is not functioning correctly on the Sony (which certainly is not something unheard of) or possibly a lack of 'continue' stop bits (some models do this, UNK. if Korg does or not) by the Trin while at it's default position is a no bueno for the Sony's DI. The Sony could be saying "I am a recorder. Dont you dare think I am to presume something of you, especially while I have to sync in your signal" (lol maybe unless you are a Sony of course).

I do not know the depths of the Trinity. Is there perhaps a toggle for Digital info out: Standard Info/ All Info ? (something to that effect?)
If so, set to All Info. Especially while sync is required and active on a (any) recorder, the data sent must be in its entirety without standard or non-standard presumptives or abbreviations.

If these two things are not the case here, I would either box up the Sony, take it back for a change out, OR haul the Trinity into the car and do the same at a place where you can get to tinker with a Sony of the same model and see what it does.
Sory, I know you probably didn't want to hear that, but you can understand how hard it must be trying to offer support via a board when it comes to digital audio difficulties. Fear not though, you'll get it.

Remember with digital audio their are usually some provisions that are established for your protection. Once there is any uncertainty on the digital recorders part, it will definately stop. Scrambled eggs digital output if you have ever heard it, it's nothing nice and aside from liabilities, that is why its logic circuitry is programmed to not "go for it". In fact it is Very unfriendly to your ears and especially to your equipment. Probably the only thing that could withstand that punishment if the output stage of your amp could (although doubtfully) provide that output without damage, is a high frequency transformer tweeter, and if you are in the same room with things at normal levels you can forget about working for the rest of the day. Digital data will disintegrate most other transducers.

Your problem is certainly a Tech Puzzler. LOL - kind of like a shot in the dark but all you have to do is hit the side of the barn and you'll have it.

Hey what can I say... If this wasn't a confusing post, It just wouldn't be me. LOL

Petey

#4686 - 10/18/05 08:26 PM Re: A Tech Puzzler
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey Sonic and Petey,

Thanks for the insights! (Yup, Trinity clock set to internal.)

Unfortunately, can't adjust the Trinity freq - 48kHz only.

The Sony will have to (and is supposed to!) make the adjustment.

I'll check the Trinity Digital output and see if I can toggle as suggested to ALL or
some such thing. Otherwise, suspect I'm SOL.

Wish me luck. And thanks again for taking the time!

All the best,

Van

#4687 - 10/20/05 02:34 PM Re: A Tech Puzzler
pianodano Offline

Loc: Chesapeake, Virginia
Consider the copy protection. Many pro and most consumer CD recorders will not record digitally without unlocking the copy protection which in many consumer models is not possible. A special code must be entered. All will record fine using analog ins. I have a Harmon Kardon that will not record my work digitally at all even though it has digital ins. It cannot be unlocked. I had to buy a Tascam professional unit that could be unlocked. (Think congressional payments by major labels.)

Regards

Danny

[This message has been edited by pianodano (edited 10-23-2005).]

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online