SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#3493 - 10/08/05 09:47 AM Tape recorder OTARI MX-55 vs. FOSTEX R-8
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Hallo, Zoners!

I need some advise about tape recorders. I'm interested in a OTARI MX-55 which comes with 4 tracks, SCSI port for HD mix downs and XLR plugs or, a FOSTEX R-8 which comes with 8 tracks, an integrated mixer and 1/4" plugs.
Is there anybody who has experiences with these engines (or at least with one of them)?
Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

------------------
Greetings from Frankfurt (Germany),
Sheriff ;-)

#3494 - 10/19/05 05:58 AM Re: Tape recorder OTARI MX-55 vs. FOSTEX R-8
ToddL Offline

Loc: niagara falls, ON, CA
i have used other Fostex models, and they have worked great, nothing but happy with them. Only thing- If this is an old recorder it can be hard to find repacement parts(I guess that is normal though)

#3495 - 10/19/05 11:23 PM Re: Tape recorder OTARI MX-55 vs. FOSTEX R-8
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
I had a friend who used a Fostex R-8 for years and was very happy with it though now he does most of his recording on a PC through a Yamaha DSP Factory card which is itself becoming antique technology nowadays.

Personally I love the warm sound of analog tape and wish I still had a reel to reel myself.

But ToddL makes a very good point in that an older reel to reel tape machine may be difficult and expensive to maintain and keep serviced. For the same money you could probably put together a 24 bit digital recording system on your PC. it really is a decision you'll have to make yourself I guess.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 10-19-2005).]

#3496 - 10/20/05 03:35 PM Re: Tape recorder OTARI MX-55 vs. FOSTEX R-8
Sheriff Offline

Loc: Frankfurt, Hessen, Germany
Thank you all for advise, guys!
That's really a good point! I'm having enough problems to get parts for my Atari system. On the other side I would like to have a second ability to record and mix the sounds with digital tracks controlled by a sequencer. I've heard that you could use one tape track with a recorded SMPTE line for controlling a sequencer. For this option the tape recorder should come with 4 tracks minimum, I'm guessing.
Regards, Danny

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online