SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46855 - 09/15/02 08:47 AM files from backup hdsx6....on kn7000 ??
Alain Offline

Loc: De Panne , Belgium
I have a backup off my hdsx6 on my pc.
The files have these names:
00101 00102 00103 ....
00201 00202 00203...and so on
Will the kn7000 be able to read these files.
I copied such files on a disk and tried them on a kn6500 and he saw only 1 file..
I hope he will see the files..
If he doesn't is there something to resolve this ?
Thanks,
Alain

#46856 - 09/15/02 09:36 AM Re: files from backup hdsx6....on kn7000 ??
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
Hi Alain,
You can use Wim Kersten's excellent utility to rename your files. It's called Technics Copy and you can download it from www.festa.nl or Gunnar's website.

------------------
Willum

[This message has been edited by Bill Norrie (edited 09-15-2002).]

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#46857 - 09/15/02 10:42 AM Re: files from backup hdsx6....on kn7000 ??
technicsplayer Offline

Wim's program is no help since you still have to rename for the 7000 display anyway.

I've explained on many occasions it is perfectly possible to load these backup files to memory, or use up to 20 at a time on the copy from floppy function. The only real problem is manual renaming and I have written to technics with suggestions for workable solutions which I have proved myself are possible. The next step would be folder creation and manipulation on the pc, this works for technics and midi files fine as long as the text file is updated correctly. This program would not be too difficult to write either as long as you had the hex data block specification.

There is also the question of what plug in softwares will become available, maybe from the 7000 site? It would not surprise me if this was addressed at some stage.

#46858 - 09/15/02 03:23 PM Re: files from backup hdsx6....on kn7000 ??
Bill Norrie Offline

Loc: North Yorkshire UK
What I was getting at was that since all Alain's files began with '00' the KN6500 and KN7000 will only show one set of files, if a floppy with say 00101, 00102, 00103 etc. is copied from his PC hard drive. I got a group of such files recently from another member on this site, who asked me to check if they would work on the KN7000. They had also been transferred to PC and had a similar numbering system, all beginning with 11xxx. Just transferring them directly to Floppy would of course have had the same result as Alain saw.
So, I transferred each group 11001, 11002, 11003 etc to Wim's program to change the file names to 01.001, 02.002, 03.003 etc. They then loaded quite happily into both KN6000 and KN7000. Admittedly, the filenames did not mean much, being named 001, 002, 003 etc. but did the originals mean anything without a cross referenced list.
It will be a long process transferring files this way, but as Alec says, having copied 20 files to a floppy, the KN7000 has a facility to copy all 20 files, directly to a folder on the SD card. Depending on the user, you may not need to rename the files on the KN7000, if your file library is maintained in a book and is organised as 'Song Name' : 'Folder Number' : 'File Number' or some other format with just numbers on the KN.
I was not aware of any other method at the time I carried out this process.

------------------
Willum

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is Music.
Aldous Huxley
( especially when the music is played on a KN7000....)

#46859 - 09/16/02 01:22 AM Re: files from backup hdsx6....on kn7000 ??
technicsplayer Offline

what I meant was that Wim's program only names to floppy format, which is a waste of 7000 display if you are using the SD card. What you really need is a renamer for 16 characters.

As far as the backups are concerned, my method was simpler. To copy a directory at a time by floppy you need just erase the directory number, i.e. the first 3 digits. Everything then works fine. I used a mass re-namer to do this automatically on each set of 16 files with one click (though obviously only on copies of the files, otherwise you lose your source identification of the originals). There are many free programs available for this job, my favourite is CK rename. Alain already has documents with song names referenced to the 5 digit file names.

You must have the song names in the 7000 because otherwise you are wasting all the playlist and favourite songs features, the best thing on the machine. You already have load by number available in the SD menu. If your actual filenames are different numbers rather than song names it will just be unecessarily confusing, and mean you cannot program new favourite lists without referring to a separate document all the time.

#46860 - 09/16/02 04:46 AM Re: files from backup hdsx6....on kn7000 ??
Lloyd Erickson Offline

Loc: Port Richey, Fl.
It seems that the SD card and the software that comes with the KN7000 is a long way from being useful to the average person.
We seem to be taking the simple and making it difficult.
I love the way Technics raves about how simple the SD card and software work and then the public buys it and finds out it is a nightmare to use.
I have just bought a KN7000 and after reading the owners manual, I quickly realized the the manual "How do I do That" is the only way to find out how to do things.
Progress is just a word in the dictionary today. Sad that getting the product to market is the important thing and then one has to form a forum in order to understand how to use the instrument.
Hoping that a use friendly manual is in the works the the KN7000. Lloyd

#46861 - 09/16/02 10:48 AM Re: files from backup hdsx6....on kn7000 ??
Johnnie.c Offline

Loc: England
As far as myself is concerned I am well happy with my KN7000

I realise that there is a lot of new ground for me to cover in the SD/USB/ PC to SD area so I am prepared to be patient & learn how it all works

It is no good me thinking Oh! well I will switch this on & away we go everything is done for me because in the real world it just is not like that.

#46862 - 09/16/02 08:35 PM Re: files from backup hdsx6....on kn7000 ??
Douglas Dean Offline

Loc: Prospect Heights IL USA
Lloyd,

Quote: Hoping that a use friendly manual is in the works the the KN7000.

I have read many manuals on a number of products I have purchased through the years. Yes, many are hard to digest. I use the word digest rather than understand for a reason. For one person it will mean heart burn, for another discomfort. Then again for some, indigestion, that triggers memories of farting at an inopportune time or place. All of which produce a negative response. Besides I like the word. But on the other hand have you ever considered the difficulty of communication from one language to another. In Germany they throw the horse over the fence, some hay. Here in the US of A we throw some hay over the fence to the horse. If, to my inquiry, Alec would respond to a question about my car - First lift up the boot, I would ask Ruthie to go over and lift up my shoe and wonder what in the name of heaven he’s getting at. Kick it maybe? And so it goes. Words are great, words are necessary and words are tricky. The art of communication is tricky. Me and my brother who just retired a few years ago as a tech writer for Motorola Corp. have discussed this problem at length many times. Ruthie and her only sister who by the way married my only brother, wish we would shut up about the art of communication and communicate to them when we are going to take them and their dishpan hands out to an evening of dinning and dancing. I guess some things in life never change. Oh well, Ruthie is great, wonderful and and I love her so I guess I will just have to put up with some of the things I have to put up with, and so with manuals.

Lloyd, read the quote of what you said in your post. See? Words are hard to string together to express what one is trying to say. I know and others know what you mean but sometimes one has to go back and reread to be able to understand another's communications. I have that same dilemma with words and have to always go back and read what I have just tried to communicate to others. Sometimes even after I have reread my own linguistic compilations I screw up. Screw up? Ruthie, I don't need that, quit reading my stuff and go wash my underwear. Lloyd and others who might think I’m picking on him, I’m not. Just trying to help me and others understand the ever arising discing of the instruction book. I remember years ago when I bought my first son a construction toy. This is real cool, I mused. Take a look at this Ruth, it says any six year old can put this together in less than twenty minutes, just follow the pictures. Wow! Christmas morning, what excitement, what a mess of the papers, big garbage bag, mom and pop cleaning up among giggles of joy. Mom fixen Christmas dinner and the bird, dad lifting the turkey into the oven. Dad putting on his glasses to read the small print on the oven timer. All set, turn her on and let this bird sweat it out at three fifty for the next three hours. Dad, dad. Ya, what’s up? Dad, will ya? Will I what, I quipped. Help me? Well what’s dads for I asked almost popping a button off my new christmas shirt. Ya, dads can do anything, I bragged. Handing me his new construction toy I said, Santa thought you could be a very proud little man and put this together by yourself. See, It says a six year old and your almost seven. Please, please? Well OK, you and me. Two hours later I suggested mother might need me in the kitchen. You know the turkey and things? We don’t want it to burn or anything. Maybe I’ll get a chance after dinner and we can give that da_ er darn thing another go. Man those pictures are confusing I said to Ruthie as I sat at the kitchen table having a cool one. About twenty minutes later after I drained the beer everything was quiet. Quiet means you better take a look. Peeking in the parlor, one little boy playing with one little toy, with one little smile on his face. Phew, I uttered with a very big exhale. What luck, think I’ll just sit down and have another beer.

See what us guys have to put up with? Over educated men getting paid to confuse us with their incomprehensible learned wordy words of utter meaningless instructions. Lloyd you are absolutely right, Alec’s book is a breath of fresh air wafting over a sea of almost dead instruction books. That’s what I always ask Jim, my brother, how can you write an instruction book for a piece of gear by only seeing the engineering drawings and not putting your hands on it and work with it. Easy, he says. I guess he knows what he’s talking about, I don’t. How about a rousing round of thanks for Alec and guys like him who bail us out of our fried state of mind drifting through this never never land of technology.

Well that’s all I got on this manuel thing. Ruthie says, about time! Let’s hit the sac.

Grandpa Doug

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online