SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#467690 - 03/20/19 09:25 AM Re: Do it yourself, tweak/improve your psr keybed [Re: Uncle Dave]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
If a PSR lineup had a Tyros keybed, I might still be a Yammmy guy.

Has there been any progress in this regard? Anybody know how the latest per 975 keybed compare to earlier tyros 2 keybed?

Edited by sparky589 (03/20/19 09:26 AM)

#467693 - 03/20/19 09:47 AM Re: Do it yourself, tweak/improve your psr keybed [Re: Bachus]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
PSR is a PSR is a PSR ... rinse, repeat
smile
It might be a price point thing, but for whatever reason, Yamaha reserves the better action for the better instruments.

#467695 - 03/20/19 09:51 AM Re: Do it yourself, tweak/improve your psr keybed [Re: Bachus]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Stiffer action. One of the things I like about PSR is the light key touch. EA7 is better though, and just as light.
No piano player here.

#467699 - 03/20/19 10:03 AM Re: Do it yourself, tweak/improve your psr keybed [Re: DonM]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By DonM
Stiffer action. One of the things I like about PSR is the light key touch. EA7 is better though, and just as light.
No piano player here.

Ditto wink

#467705 - 03/20/19 11:04 AM Re: Do it yourself, tweak/improve your psr keybed [Re: Bachus]
Kabinopus Offline

Loc: Russia
There's another problem with PSR keybeds which is they become too noisy if you play them as intensive as I do. Although I don't know how instruments by other brands will behave.

I was told once that noise can be eliminated by changing the oil inside the mechanism.
A repairer told me that he could do it, but added, that PSR's are not designed for this procedure. He says that the whole construction of the keybed gets too fragile when it's being dismantled.

Also, I think there are different types of PSR's keybeds. I think that entry-level PSR-E4xx have in fact tighter keys than 700/900 series.

Anyway, any keybed requires some time to get adjusted.

#467707 - 03/20/19 11:23 AM Re: Do it yourself, tweak/improve your psr keybed [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

If your an intense "heavy player" the PSR line is certainly not for you as a player
vs a rather more 'weighted action" keybed SUCH AS GENOS, PA4X, sd7/9 ETC...

#467712 - 03/20/19 12:10 PM Re: Do it yourself, tweak/improve your psr keybed [Re: Dnj]
Kabinopus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
If your an intense "heavy player" the PSR line is certainly not for you as a player

Well, in 2014 my country decided to attach some Ukrainian territory and as a result the national currency has weakened twice. Just double the current prices of TOTL keyboards and you will see the picture as I do :-)

I use this situation to optimize my needs and to find a right focus. As I try to think that without right priorities there's no point in looking for new resources.

#467713 - 03/20/19 12:49 PM Re: Do it yourself, tweak/improve your psr keybed [Re: Kabinopus]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Kabinopus
Originally Posted By Dnj

Well, in 2014 my country decided to attach some Ukrainian territory and as a result the national currency has weakened twice. Just double the current prices of TOTL keyboards and you will see the picture as I do :-)

I use this situation to optimize my needs and to find a right focus. As I try to think that without right priorities there's no point in looking for new resources.

well then maybe a cheaper alternative is to a TOTL use a 88 weighted controller midi to your arranger kb..?

Edited by Dnj (03/20/19 12:50 PM)

#467714 - 03/20/19 01:30 PM Re: Do it yourself, tweak/improve your psr keybed [Re: Dnj]
Kabinopus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Kabinopus
Originally Posted By Dnj

well then maybe a cheaper alternative is to a TOTL use a 88 weighted controller midi to your arranger kb..?

I used to do something like that. While it looks good in theory, in reality there're downfalls.

First, it's not an option for gigging. So you lose mobility.

Second, even at home, you get farther from all the controls, which are supposed to be right at your fingers. You get farther from the speakers, which are adjusted to a certain player's position. Not to mention the screen.

Third, there's a chance that "velocity curve" of the controller will not match the "velocity curve" of the arranger. I don't think I explain it correctly, but I had such a problem, and my piano sound lost its tenderness.

The bottom line is that going back from all that to one single box feels like a proper freedom.

I don't have a big problem with a touch of PSR's keybeds, I lack much more extra keys, and I want new sounds.

Honestly, the whole current market of keyboards seems to me a little bit ridiculous. It seems to lag behind the overall progress. And we know that the progress in a digital world tends to go faster and faster, so after a while there can be too much to catch up.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online