SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46747 - 05/07/03 06:46 AM Prices
Mainer Offline

Loc: Saco, Me
The prices are really way out of whack on Keyboards it seems. I've been tempted to buy from overseas but the warranty & different power supplys spooked me off.

I wonder if Technics is both the distributor and manufacturer or if there is a distributor in the middle of this taking out a big chunk. The difference in prices between the USA and elswhere (on most keyboards) are really pretty drastic I would love to know who has the answers

Jerry

#46748 - 05/07/03 08:14 AM Re: Prices
Catsailor Offline

Mainer,

You're right about the high price of keyboards in the states. I think the difference in price is because Americans make higher wages, on the average, than people in foreign countries. The local dealers here know people will pay more, so they charge more. Markup on most items is usually 100% or more. Even though the prices are lower in foriegn countries, it is usually best to buy locally, mainly for the warranty and availability of repair work. I was told by the Technics dealer where I live that, if you buy from overseas, your warranty will not be honored in the states and you won't be able to get it repaired here. Our prices could be higher because of import and customs fees. I would expect that these are also added to the price. Of course, this is all my opinion and others may have different information available. I guess the high prices and lack of availability is something we are going to have to live with.

Best regards,
Peter

#46749 - 05/07/03 10:40 AM Re: Prices
MeBob Offline

Loc: Clermont,Florida,USA
There is also a great variation in price from state to state in the USA, which I think is controlled by Technics.
Case in Point:
I found a dealer in CT advertising the KN7000 on the internet. I live in Central Florida. I called on the phone and the dealer stated that he could not quote me a price over the phone because I was calling from Florida, but I would be pleased with the price. He said that if I came to his store he could sell me the keyboard at a great price, but not over the phone. Fortunately, my oldest son lives close to CT(MA) and he called the dealer and was able to purchase the KN7000 for me for about 40-45% less than I could from a dealer in Florida, and had it drop shipped down here.
I don't think buyers in Florida make more $$ than in CT or MA. It's rather a strange marketing practice by Technics. But "there is more ways than one, to skin a cat" my Dad always told me.

BeBob in Sunny Florida

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online