SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#467351 - 03/11/19 11:10 AM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: GlennT]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Mark, what impressed me most about your post is that you remembered all those songs 'on the fly' ...

I've recently had requests for Red River Valley and Clementine, and what I've done is play them in the original style and then in 'updated' styles like these:
https://youtu.be/76OSOg5E_HE

https://youtu.be/gKxjvlEQvaQ

I've done the same thing with Little Star, playing the 1958 #1 hit version by The Elegants, 5 guys I knew in my Staten Island high school days
https://youtu.be/l8F4vdF-bJc

#467406 - 03/12/19 10:15 AM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: tony mads usa]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Way to go, Mark.

R.

#467424 - 03/12/19 08:14 PM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: captain Russ]
mdorantes Offline

Loc: Queretaro, Mexico
I did a similar gig few years ago, and I did some of the songs mentioned, but I did play also the old standards like It had to be you, All of me, etc...songs that you may consider appropriate or that age group, and the result was a happy sing along on the room....that day, was family day, so, relatives of this people where there and to their amazement, they all sang those tunes, but had no idea who was next to them.....Music is incredible tool....

My 2 cents.

Manuel

#467431 - 03/12/19 09:25 PM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: tony mads usa]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Mark, what impressed me most about your post is that you remembered all those songs 'on the fly' ...

I was blessed with a fantastic memory....as long as I work hard with my "fantastic memory" I memorize very easily, especially on those 2-3 chorder's.

You wrote about that lady that memorized all those songs. I was going to reply to that about how it's done through "imaging." Maybe I still will.

#467432 - 03/12/19 09:29 PM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: bruno123]
Mark79100 Offline

Originally Posted By bruno123
Hi Chris, when you jazz it up it does make the song more interesting – because there is you in the song.
When the song is jazzed up beyond recognition, which many do, you have defeated your purpose.

I understand what Chris means and I understand what John means. They are both correct. Playing music correctly is a definite "balancing" act.

#467433 - 03/12/19 09:47 PM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: Mark79100]
Mark79100 Offline

Well......I was somewhat shocked when I opened up this post. I was starting to think I was one of only a few who cared about actually making music as compared to spending their time A-B'ing keyboards.

Not only "shocked" but pleased to see in all of you who responded a similar "passion to please" folks and the recognition of (what I consider to be) music as therapy (both to yourself and others) rather than a paycheck.

And......not sure how to say this, but as I look at those who remarked here, the thought suddenly occurred to me that if I had to guess who would relate to this post, it would be all of the members above.

And....I didn't write this for the glory or to pass myself off as a "hero to the people." My intended meaning was something like.......don't dismiss these hundred year old songs because they're "a hundred years old." They still have a lot of mileage left in them and you get your money's worth when you use them.

And finally....thanks for your comments about my "moral makeup." I honestly never thought about it that way. Only ever thought about stockpiling songs that make people happy. I took a good look at myself in the mirror now and came away with a different perception of myself.

Does this mean I get a free ticket to the Promised Land now?

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online