SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#467284 - 03/09/19 09:28 PM Senior Citizen revelation today
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I played a Senior performance today on piano....in the Memory Care Unit, which I was told was a place where most residents are beyond comprehension and also on heavy medication. Most of them could hardly move.

I usually start my performance in a comical way. I'll play something like Yankee Doodle, Three Blind Mice....simple things....kind of a warm-up for both me and the audience. Then maybe into my Irving Berlin medley or something upbeat.

So I'm playing my first song, Yankee Doodle, and I looked closely at the audience this time. They were either singing out loud or to themselves. Those not singing were starting to move. It appeared I tapped into something happening here.

A few weeks ago, I read an article about how old folks lose their senses chronologically. The last faculty to go is music. When they can't even remember their names or the names of their children or where they are even, the one thing they don't lose is recognition/remembrance of songs and associated memories.

I experimented and continued in this vein. Now...I play everything out of my head....spent a lot of years memorizing so I had all of the following songs at my fingertips. I continued to play every one of these songs (which I refer to as the "Yankee Doodle" era). Lo and behold, they sang or moved to every tune I presented to them.

But....the key to putting these simple songs over is to "dress them up." John (Bruno) posted a few days ago to "take liberties with a song." Don't just play it boom-boom-boom. Give it a comical intro...stop or hesitate between stanzas.....hold onto a note....etc. But....never, ever, ever deviate from the melody when playing these kind of songs. Every note has to match every word!

But I remember saying to myself...."You study music and learn songs constantly to keep up, and, in the end, it goes back full circle. The old two-chord songs from the 1890's are what it comes back to.

I don't really care what I play as long as I'm affecting people's lives. That's what keeps me going

Oh, Susanna
Dixie
Golden Slippers
Yellow Rose Of Texas
Camptown Races
Tavern In The Town
Comin' Round The Mountain
Old MacDonald
JINGLE BELLS
Deep In The Heart Of Texas
ON TOP OF OLD SMOKIE
HOME ON THE RANGE
RED RIVER VALLEY
ALOUETTE
Blue Tail Fly
CLEMENTINE
MERRILY WE ROLL ALONG
The Old Grey Mare She Ain't What She Used To Be
The Man on the Flying Trapeze
EASTER PARADE
THE TWELVE DAYS OF CHRISTMAS
MADEMOISELLE FROM ARMENTIER (PARLEZ VOUS)
MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB
BLUE DANUBE WALTZ
FERE JACQUES
I'VE BEEN WORKING ON THE RAILROAD
ROW, ROW, ROW YOUR BOAT
THIS OLD MAN
THREE BLIND MICE
TWINKLE, TWINKLE LITTLE STAR

#467289 - 03/10/19 01:45 AM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: Mark79100]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
Good on you for your unselfish motivation.
I used to play for our local state veterans home, and was told by the wife of a severely afflicted patient that her husband is unable to respond much, but that my music helped him enormously. The power of music should not be minimized,

#467291 - 03/10/19 04:26 AM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: Mark79100]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I’m guessing most of us who have played in memory care units have experienced what you’ve written. Some residents look as though they aren’t sure where they or at but when the music starts with old familiar tunes you see there lips moving singing the lyrics.

#467292 - 03/10/19 05:35 AM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark, I have never more pleased with someone’s post. What you did was the key to contentment and happiness; you put those people before yourself. You made them enjoy, you added to their life. And not once did you mention money, or complain about how you were treated.

Cheers to you my friend, you just said it all.

Mark, I am proud of you, I feel you have found something that will bring a lot of happiness.

Your friend, John C.

Only a suggestion:
Using an arranger keyboard would add another dimension. Even through they may not understand, they will feel.

#467301 - 03/10/19 07:18 AM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: Mark79100]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Bravo, Mark:

I'm hoping I'm never destined to be a member of a Senior Care Unit but your work and thoughtfulness are so important. I'm hoping the researchers in this field and it's "tributaries" are putting a cure or at least, a prevention for this life stealing disease at the top of their list. It impacts members of the family... and close friends even more than the "oblivious patients."

Keep up the good work. ----Dave

#467314 - 03/10/19 04:30 PM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: Mark79100]
Torch Offline

Originally Posted By Mark79100
I played a Senior performance today on piano....in the Memory Care Unit,
But....the key to putting these simple songs over is to "dress them up." John (Bruno) posted a few days ago to "take liberties with a song." Don't just play it boom-boom-boom. Give it a comical intro...stop or hesitate between stanzas.....hold onto a note....etc. But....never, ever, ever deviate from the melody when playing these kind of songs. Every note has to match every word!
A great post. I've had similar experiences. BTW, I'd think that when you dress up well-known tunes, you could have fun doing the same with the melody line, too. The audience knows the melody and as you "jazz up" the melody, it makes it more interesting and still the audience can follow. A case in point, here's Long Long Ago. Such a simple melody and yet Louis Armstrong and his band..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2OFjoAMdrM

Chris
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#467319 - 03/10/19 05:12 PM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: Torch]

Hi Chris, when you jazz it up it does make the song more interesting – because there is you in the song.
When the song is jazzed up beyond recognition, which many do, you have defeated your purpose.

Just my opinion, John C.

#467331 - 03/11/19 05:54 AM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: Mark79100]
kbrkr Offline

Loc: Tampa, FL
Mark, your post really touched me. In general I think musicians have much more empathy than most people (except doctors, nurses, clergy, etc.), because music is all about emotion and passion. The greatest gifts we receive as musicians is when we touch someone.

Pa4x - LD Systems Maui 28 - Mackie Thumps

#467345 - 03/11/19 09:36 AM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: kbrkr]

The greatest gifts we receive as musicians is when we touch someone.

I can not add anything to that my friend, beautiful, John C.

#467347 - 03/11/19 10:50 AM Re: Senior Citizen revelation today [Re: Mark79100]
GlennT Online   content

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
With such a venue you have to make some keen observations to know if or when you've connected. I'll watch their feet and hands. Sometimes you'll see a single finger tapping only slightly, but if in time with the music, you've connected!

Glenn

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online