SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#467169 - 03/07/19 02:38 PM Is the best RnR album of all time?
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA

#467178 - 03/07/19 04:11 PM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Best of all time is debatable forever. Matter of taste. But Jerry Lee is one of my hereos and overlooded in favor of Elvis as the King of R&R. Questioable choice in marriage, knocked him down a few pegs. His preformances are what R&R are all about. I think much better than Elvis or Chuck Berry. Elvis had the looks and standing up with the guitar gave him a big plus with the girls.
I've been on and off working on his LH patterns. I can get the patterns but then put the RH to it and sing is the next step.
I have a few of his later CD's with duo preformances and a bit of Gospel. Great stuff.

#467179 - 03/07/19 04:13 PM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I'm just the opposite. Right hand no problem, have to let the arranger do the left!

#467180 - 03/07/19 04:26 PM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: DonM]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
RH is a lot of triplets and simple fills. To sync that with the LH and sing is the challenge. This music to me is not Arranger stuff. Arranger is too stiff. Just piano, maybe layer some bass with the LH and drums. Rock on !
Funny but all the Arranger stuff i do and the hottest act around here is a guy doing a piano sing along with a drummer. Used to be a puesdo dueling pianos until the second piano playing girl couldn't stay sober or show up on time.
He's LOUD and pumps the bass up on the PA but the rooms are selling out all the time. Plays the first verse and bridge to a song then on to the next. Simplle format but keeps the audience's attention.

#467183 - 03/07/19 05:47 PM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

I agree if you can play piano. I can't so I use the arranger.

#467190 - 03/07/19 11:38 PM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: DonM]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Don...I have this album. It's called "Live at the Star Club in Hamburg." I read somewhere a few years back that this WAS the best album he ever made. I often wonder is that because he was drunk as a skunk at the time.....or......was it because he was SOBER at the time?

I read also about the band members. They said he was a one man band who never knew what he was going to play next. They had to follow closely, and....(quoting them)"cover up his mistakes....and, boy....he made plenty of them."

To me any album he made was top of the line stuff. I've got about 200 songs by him in my computer. The man is a music machine. He got it all....piano skills, a good voice, entertainment ability, emotions that drive his music, and......absolutely no inhibitions to get in the way. I'm not sure but there's a possibility I could be his greatest fan. Ever since I first heard "Whole lot of Shakin' goin' On" when I was a teenager.

Thanks for posting this.

#467191 - 03/07/19 11:52 PM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: Bill Lewis]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By Bill Lewis

I've been on and off working on his LH patterns. I can get the patterns but then put the RH to it and sing is the next step.

Bill....it's interesting that we're not only both piano pro's but that we think alike. I'm still working on that JLL left hand technique. Like you, I find that now that I got the LH working, I've got to put both hands together, and then sing on top of it all. But it's coming along for me.

Yes, you can play the finest arranger keyboard in the world, but it will sound nowhere near like a human being pounding out rock 'n roll on an acoustic piano. The thickness of those bass notes really get you stomping your feet.

I'll never forget years ago. I was at a piano performance. The pianist played "All The Things You Are" straight the first time. Second time she did "walking bass." I almost fell off my chair at the difference it made. Sounded like a whole trio. And that's just "walking bass." When you get to JLL's level, (IF you get to JLL level), well, then you've arrived. That's when you pick and choose where you want to play.

"questionable taste in wives" He lost a lot of good years over that. Kind of like Muhammed Ali losing his best fighting years over that draft thing.

#467197 - 03/08/19 03:33 AM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: DonM]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
What made Jerry Lee Lewis great, his ability to play piano? No, there are many piano players who would make his skills sound like a beginner. He was new, nobody ever did what he did with so much freedom. He was playing what was inside of him, and he used the piano to do it.

How much talent does it take to play the piano with his feet? No, he had freedom, he did not care what anybody thought, he was going to do his thing. Oh, how I love it.
FREEDOM IN MY MUSIC – FREDOM IN MY LIFE

John C.

PS, Jerry Lee Lewis is a cousin of Pastor Jimmy Swaggart, who also played piano, and was also a bit of a rebel. (Did his own thing)

My friend Don M. is very popular on this forum, many look up to him. Although he plays and sings well, I don’t feel it is the main reason for his popularity.

#467213 - 03/08/19 08:00 AM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: DonM]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
He was a unique entertainer. Slidell, Louisiana cousin of Elvis. I had no idea Swaggert was related to them.

Thanks for sharing. I won't repeat my story about how Jerry Lee almost got us killed in Hot Springs... back in the day... as he fled down the escalator of the Club from a jealous husband.

#467215 - 03/08/19 08:13 AM Re: Is the best RnR album of all time? [Re: DonM]
DonM Offline

Never knew he was a cousin of Elvis. He was cousin of Jimmy Swaggart and Mickey Gilley.
All are really good piano players and singers. Also Jerry Lee's sister, Linda Gail Lewis, plays and sings in the same style, a real rocker.
It doesn't matter to me if the left hand boogie stuff sounds better since I can't do it and don't have the patience or time or inclination to learn it. I have to use the tools at my disposal, and that is the arranger. LOVE IT by the way!
I know two guys who "do" JLL. One is Jason Williams, who is fantastic and who actually did the music for the movie about Jerry. The other is Brandy Roberts from Shreveport, who plays and sings as well as Jerry but not quite as wild as Jerry or Jason. I work a lot more than Brandy, but he certainly had a little more success or recognition that I ever will. He played at Branson with Penny Gilley for quite a while and still can be found on tv sometimes. Never made much money though, if that counts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online