SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#466916 - 03/03/19 06:28 PM Man and His Music
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Man and His Music; I have started this topic so that I can express my thoughts about Man and His Music. I hope others will add theirs.
Lyrics: I met an elderly woman in a high-end bar in New York City. My job was to back her singing with my band. She sang show tunes, and she was good. I admired her, she went from song to song with no effort. On the break I ask her how she managed to memorize all those lyrics, that where I had my problem.

She said that when I looks at the lyrics, I try to picture the story they were telling. Was it love, fear, outside, indoors? I visualize with my eyes closed. Then I go to learning the lyrics. What this fantastic woman was telling me is that she added emotions into her singing, so she was living the story as she sang the song.

Music is a story, if you play one note at a time, or you have been playing for a while, or you are a fantastic pro. Its all the same, music needs your emotion to be good. There are many, many, many musicians who play only notes, and not music.

First thought: When notes are added mechanically, (Step Time on the keyboard), The song does not sound good. Play each note a touch longer, or shorter, add what you are feeling.
#2- When you play a C note, and the next note is a D note, its all right to sneak the C# note in the same time span.

If you are the best of players or the poorest of players it makes no difference – as long as you are enjoying it.

Please add your thought if you feel this is a good addition to our forum. It starts very simple and can grow to some great ideas.
John C.

#467007 - 03/05/19 02:52 PM Re: Man and His Music [Re: bruno123]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
John, I am a little surprised you haven't gotten any replies to this topic, but perhaps your post said enough ...

I might add that when playing an instrumental, even if it is part of what might primarily be a vocal performance, play it as if you were singing it, that is, not note for note, beat for beat ... I also find that some performers who are - or were - primarily instrumentalists - often sing a song note for note, beat for beat ... as you stated, FEEL the song ...

A while back I posted "Through the Years" and received very positive response on this board, especially from a member who was going through a rough patch at the time ... I think what contributed to my performance of that song was the fact that we also were - and are - going through a rough patch with a family member who is a great part of our lives ...
In essence, it is the emotion - happy, sad, whimsical, whatever - behind the lyrics or melody that makes the performance ... have a sense for what it means, and get your audience to feel it as well, and you will have a successful performance ...

#467014 - 03/05/19 03:27 PM Re: Man and His Music [Re: bruno123]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
I gotta agree wholeheartedly with both of you.

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#467038 - 03/05/19 08:17 PM Re: Man and His Music [Re: travlin'easy]

Gary, Tony, I posted this type of things before and got the same reaction – no one added a thing. I gave this a lot of thought, what I came up with is: If they understood what I am saying they would be doing it. So, if they not adding, they don’t understand where I am coming from. Amen!

If I played a song the way it was written, I would probably die. (smile)
John C.

#467047 - 03/06/19 02:35 AM Re: Man and His Music [Re: bruno123]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
If they understood what I am saying they would be doing it. So, if they not adding, they don’t understand where I am coming from. Amen!

John, I must disagree. When you cite an irrefutable fact that requires no embellishment, you cannot assume it was not understood, or agreed with. I, for one, thought I must remember that, as a way to improve my vocals, and instrumentals, for that matter.

I think many people take the advice given, and not necessarily chime in. I know it is the courteous thing to do, but most are lurkers.

I understood, but will try and do better the next time. ha ha

#467048 - 03/06/19 03:27 AM Re: Man and His Music [Re: Bernie9]
organgrinder Offline

Loc: ft. lauderdale, florida
If you play from your head, you are playing about 12 inches too high.
MEL

#467051 - 03/06/19 05:08 AM Re: Man and His Music [Re: bruno123]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
John:

Great topic! I don't have time to reply right now 'cause this gets pretty "deep" and my health-plate over-floweth this week. Forgive me for "going biblical" on you... LOL! As you implied, if you get pleasure and/or fulfilment from playing... or just enjoying what you do in music (even listening)... it is a good thing.

Regards, ----Dave

Edited by Riceroni9 (03/06/19 05:09 AM)
Edit Reason: writer's cramp

#467055 - 03/06/19 06:05 AM Re: Man and His Music [Re: Bernie9]

Ouch, Bernie you discovered me. I agree with your thinking. What I was hiding is an emotion that is saying: This is so important, why don’t they respond, I asked them to give their thoughts? Well there it goes again, it’s all about me, me, me.

We are not all wired the same way, people do what they wish to do, and that’s called freedom. And if I got all the people on this forum to think like me, it would be a very boring place. (smile)

Thanks Bernie, John C.

#467057 - 03/06/19 06:12 AM Re: Man and His Music [Re: Riceroni9]
Harold123 Offline

Loc: Harrisville Pa USA
John C....Love Your Post. Even though I'm not working on My own Music at this time it relates to Me...It started when My parents provided Accordion lessons Age 10 and a New Instrument for me. My teacher was from the same roots as My father (Northern Italy)...During My Lessons I had a little twitch and the end of my bellows and returning...She Never took it away She Liked it ...It Was Me being Myself! I was Different from others...Well Being Myself has Hung with Me Through Music Life. Onto Organ using the expression/Volume pedal and foot Pedals. Next came Teaching Myself Piano to My Style then onto Arrangers...I'm no Pro For SURE...But Love to use Improvision...I usually Learn a Song from Music Score and then make it MY OWN... Music comes from within ones Heart...This is where the ARRANGER Shines and Piano...I love to sit down and just play, no music, no song I can do this for a couple hours and Love it...It just makes You FEEL GOOD...At this time I'm providing places for Others to Express their Music and Vocals...My Own can Wait...Love what I'm Doing...Love this Forum and the People on it...Check it everyday GOOD STUFF HERE!...Sorry to bore Some folks but I know You Understand John...Sincerely Harold

Edited by Harold123 (03/06/19 06:16 AM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online