SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#466980 - 03/05/19 09:41 AM Booking Senior Events
GlennT Offline

Loc: Medina, OH, USA
After experiencing and witnessing the frustration many of us have had with the senior home circuit, one might consider going after a perhaps limited, but more worthwhile market, in private senior events..... retirement parties, 50th or 40th anniversaries, 80 year old birthday parties, etc. While performing for hundreds of senior residence events, I've had only a few of such special events... and found them to be more profitable and more fun (what else is there?) Only challenge is finding and booking... marketing. Any thoughts?

Glenn

#466981 - 03/05/19 10:02 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Dnj Offline

Don't be fooled these 80 year old parties and older events have lots of younger people and grandchildren that want to dance and party so you better be ready to play alot the popular stuff that's out today,
line dances etc,.. Players beware don't get caught in a situation you wish you weren't...

Edited by Dnj (03/05/19 01:27 PM)

#466983 - 03/05/19 10:39 AM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Good topic, Glennf, though I disagree with Donny's assessment. When I was still working, I sent out colorful post cards to all of my ADs that were titled "15 Good Reasons To Celebrate" in which listed the names and dates of every holiday on the calendar for the year. This usually resulted in several dozen jobs, often added jobs to locations where I performed regularly.

Next, at a dozen or more locations, we had a monthly birthday bash, often held in the evening right after supper from 7 till 8 p.m.. Another dozen or more jobs on the books. It was rare to see young folks at these events, and if there were some youngsters, the few that attended chimed in when we all sang Happy Birthday as a sing along.

Every year or so, politicians had to raise cash for the reelections. This translates into evening jobs at dozens of locations throughout your area, all of which usually had some live music. The trick here was to find out who the contact person was, which usually involved some telephone calls to the party's central committees. Then it was a matter of setting up a meeting and providing the campaign manager with a quality CD and good promo package. This usually amounted to another 50 jobs for me on election years. I charged $500 for these election fund raiser parties, which often took place in a ballroom. Ironically, I usually played less than an hour because the wannabe politicians were constantly onstage promoting themselves with lengthy political speeches. Always got lots of attaboys from the campaign manager, and some of the politicians in attendance frequently asked for cards and if I would be willing to play at their fund raisers.

To this, you can add private parties held at local restaurant banquet rooms. I promoted these by visiting the restaurants and talking with the owner/manager and providing them with a quality promo package including a CD. The promo package usually included a photo sheet that featured these type of parties. Promo photos go a long way in booking private parties, including something as small as a living room party.

As you can plainly see, the secret to success is to be a good PR person, Salesman and of course, be able to provide high quality, diverse, musical entertainment program to your clients. This will usually result in repeat bookings from the same folks, and possibly bookings from those in attendance of the event.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#466991 - 03/05/19 01:33 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
Dnj Offline

"PR" all you want has to be backed up big time Gary fancy calendars and fluff mean nothing once they hear you play.
You get you one shot and you better have the goods.
That's the bottom line
....promo goes out the door when the competition playing for FREE!

The situation for NH gigs is drastically changing be thankful you were there at it's height.

Edited by Dnj (03/05/19 01:39 PM)

#466992 - 03/05/19 01:35 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: travlin'easy]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
GlennT ... i don't want to speak for others, BUT, I do think that when Donny made this comment: Don't be fooled these 80 year old parties and older events have lots of younger people and grandchildren so you better be ready to play all the stuff that's out today,line dances Etc.. Players beware don't get caught in a situation you wish you weren't...I believe he was talking about 'private' parties for older people, not the NH/AL venues I believe Gary was referring to. In that regard, I would say Donny is right ... Anytime I get a call for an 'older' birthday party, anniversary, whatever, I always ask if there are younger people who are going to be there, so I know what to be prepared for ... Also, I find that more and more, at mixed age 'family' affairs (I'm not talking weddings) there is less and less dancing, possibly because a lot of attendees are there out of the need to fulfill an obligation rather than to really have a good time ...

PS: Of course I was writing my response while Donny was posting his ... grin

Edited by tony mads usa (03/05/19 01:36 PM)

#466994 - 03/05/19 01:49 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
"PR" all you want has to be backed up big time Gary fancy calendars and fluff mean nothing once they hear you play.
You get you one shot and you better have the goods. That's the bottom line

Absolutely, but it's the PR that MIGHT get your foot in the door ...

#466995 - 03/05/19 01:50 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: tony mads usa]
Dnj Offline

Tony thank you for the recognition,...I have always said like it or not you have to MIX IT UP in today's music world of gigging...
I saw it coming years ago and now it is ALL coming true.
Just sitting there playing an arranger kb isn't gonna cut it anymore if you wanna exist you need to really amp it up for many reasons if not the train will leave you at the station. Or you could just play in your bedroom and enjoy music with headphones on nothing wrong with that, ..
it may sound grim what is happening out there but it is reality sorry to say.

#467001 - 03/05/19 02:17 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: GlennT]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Donny, I have always said I am not a musician, though a lot of folks sincerely think I am. At best, I am a hack musician. However, I have clearly stated I am an entertainer that has a reasonably good singing voice and have always been able to deliver the goods as you stated so many times, or the way I look at it, a full, musical entertainment package. If you cannot deliver the full package, have the ability to read an audience, you cannot possibly make it in this business. The senior circuit may be falling apart in some parts of the nation, but not here in Maryland, Virginia, Delaware and out west in California, Oregon, Nevada and Washington. I communicate with folks regularly from all those areas and they are all doing quite well, command top pay rates and are booked solid.

As tony said, the promo packages and followups are the key to getting your foot in the door, not an instant booking for life. Those bookings often do not come until after you have performed a job or two, thus if you provide the full, entertainment package, you now have demonstrated you can do the job effectively. Word of mouth just don't cut it these days. The folks that stay busy down here are those that promote themselves regularly using any promotional vehicle they can utilize.

Good luck,

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#467008 - 03/05/19 02:59 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: Dnj]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By Dnj
Don't be fooled these 80 year old parties and older events have lots of younger people and grandchildren that want to dance and party so you better be ready to play alot the popular stuff that's out today,
line dances etc,.. Players beware don't get caught in a situation you wish you weren't...

Heck, even the elderly folks are now into line dancing to the recent hit songs with the dirty lyrics and all! Lots of senior centers have line dancing classes that are very popular.

You got to be ready for anything now- We all love the old standards but times are changing!

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#467012 - 03/05/19 03:13 PM Re: Booking Senior Events [Re: montunoman]
tony mads usa Offline

Originally Posted By montunoman

Heck, even the elderly folks are now into line dancing to the recent hit songs with the dirty lyrics and all! Lots of senior centers have line dancing classes that are very popular.
You got to be ready for anything now- We all love the old standards but times are changing!

Paul - and others - what are you noticing the seniors line dancing to these days? ... I know all about the 'old chestnuts', but what about the newer stuff?

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online