SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#466350 - 02/20/19 12:26 PM Alternative to BIAB
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
For folks that are looking to work a different way and develop backing tracks.. BIAB is a great way to do this, but let me suggest a way that may be sitting right in front of you..

My example will be the Roland BK9, but the PA4x and others will be similar.

The chord sequencer will duplicate a lot of what BIAB does.. Instead of writing in chords, with the BK9 you play a chord progression.. Once you have a progression for a song, you can now search a style that may interest you.

Maybe you might decide to customize a style with parts from other styles.. Maybe filter out parts you don't need.. Make part instrument changes etc.. Change insert effects, and record as midi data into the on board 16 track sequencer..

Now add any additional parts you may want via the sequencer.. After you have the song as you like... Record it with the wave recorder (on board) , mixing in your vocal from the audio input of the keyboard.. When recording is the way you like... save as a wave file (ready to play as CD quality..)

You will be amazed of the results and not hard to do. I also think it is faster to achieve great results comparable to BIAB.

Many of us already have the tools on hand, we just need the direction to use them..

Another alternative would be the use of a DAW (MixCraft8) and put your backing track together using sample loops from the MixCraft library.. This is fast and easy.. Modern tracks can be made easily.. Save as wave file and ready to play..
After you save the file , reload it as a track in MixCraft and record your backing vocals and /or lead.. Resave again as a wave file... Ready to go..

Edited by Fran Carango (02/20/19 12:36 PM)

#466353 - 02/20/19 01:15 PM Re: Alternative to BIAB [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

Here is demo I made in Mixcraft.. Less than two minutes to complete..

Attachments
jazz demo.mp3 (52 downloads)

#466356 - 02/20/19 01:58 PM Re: Alternative to BIAB [Re: Fran Carango]
W Tracy Parnell Offline

Loc: NY
That is a great tip Fran. If I were going to go out to nursing homes again (which I am not), I would use my PA900 to make my tracks for sure as it is easier like you mentioned. I have done a lot of tracks and BIAB along with Ezdrummer or Superior Drummer and some recording of live parts will sound better in my experience (I always recorded at least the bass). But it is much more time consuming. It usually takes me a whole day to do a song this way. Part of the problem is you are always tweaking.

#466357 - 02/20/19 02:29 PM Re: Alternative to BIAB [Re: Fran Carango]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Fran I thought you got rid of your BK-9? Also, does the Roland's chord sequence transpose upon playback? Thanks!

#466358 - 02/20/19 02:42 PM Re: Alternative to BIAB [Re: TedS]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Yes Fran there are many other ways to do this. Goes back to using the tools we have available to us. Don't know how many times I have seen it mentioned that most users don't use 10% of the tools available on there keyboards. I would suggest the same is true with much of the software we have on our computers. I have just started playing with Audacity. Man this is a huge program and capable of so much! Not enough hours in the day.

#466361 - 02/20/19 03:40 PM Re: Alternative to BIAB [Re: TedS]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
Fran I thought you got rid of your BK-9? Also, does the Roland's chord sequence transpose upon playback? Thanks!

Ted I did sell it, but purchased it back …

When you play back a current chord loop sequence , there is no transpose for it... but you can capture it(record) as a midi file and the transpose will work..

Edited by Fran Carango (02/20/19 03:41 PM)

#466367 - 02/20/19 07:06 PM Re: Alternative to BIAB [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

#466373 - 02/20/19 09:46 PM Re: Alternative to BIAB [Re: Fran Carango]
Bachus Offline

A chord sequencer is an awesome tool

But misses the one thing that makes BIAB often sound better then an arranger..
BIAB uses its knowledge of upcomming chordchanges in the transition between chords..
Making the backing much more dynamic.

There is no difference in the normal backing of the arranger
and backing played with a chord arranger.

the advantage of a chord sequencer is that you can loop it, stop it and play normal arranger chords on demand..
An easy accessible chord sequencer is one of the things most missing on my Genos.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#466375 - 02/20/19 11:15 PM Re: Alternative to BIAB [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Bachus , two points you are missing.. Chord sequencing allows you to experiment with other styles without input of chord changes... and true, the problem with arranger play is no lead into chord changes..

In my example I did say record the chord change style play as midi data via the onboard sequencer.. Now it is a simple easy fix for lead in chord changes... a walking bass will do the trick.. Use the same bass as the arranger part, and utilize "punch in" … with three simple bass notes you can walk into your chord change where you want to..

#466376 - 02/21/19 03:25 AM Re: Alternative to BIAB [Re: Fran Carango]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
The Kn7000 was ahead of its time.
Well, that’s been said so many times.

Recording a sequence with a Kn7000:
1-A chord sequence was made by holding a chord with the left hand and selecting the during of the chord from the upper octave-and-a-half of the keyboard. the average chord sequence took me 3 to 5 minutes.

2-Now you were able to select a style, or different styles.

3-You could add fill ins, change instruments, change tempo and volume, add pads, and more, depending on your imagination.

Creating a sequence was like an artist do a painting. Now that was many years ago.

John C.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online