SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46593 - 10/14/04 01:22 PM Short Chord question
Jack Docters Offline

Loc: Eindhoven Netherlands
Hi music lovers,
I know this is only a Technics site but anyhow.
Does anyone tell me how that I can find the right chords by songs are written without chords.
I be able to play songs by ear in Major scale C with the simple chords C-F-G.
I can read and play music from sheets in different Major scales with chords.
Is there a easy way to find chords by every note.

Jack

#46594 - 10/14/04 01:56 PM Re: Short Chord question
etwo4788 Offline

Loc: S.E. New Mexico USA
JACK....If you are fortunate enough to own & play a TECHNICS KB....with an automatic rhythm & 1 finger or basic chord setting....the keyboard can help you learn the different chording sequences....

There is lots of music that has the chord icon above the treble cleff that is easy to see as you look at the notes....

I forgot that you are an ear player...

Find a book in a music store...teach yourself all the chords....That works!

I play by reading...with automatic rhythms & using the "basic" fingering chords...Frequently I am able to just make the chord changes without really knowing what I am doing...I recognise a change is needed & somehow my fingers go to the right one most of the time....

Persistence pays!

Happy Playing! ELIZABETH

#46595 - 10/14/04 03:01 PM Re: Short Chord question
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hello Jack,

Determining chords can be a slow, tedious process and I do not know of any easy way to do it. I have music that does not have chords indicated above the staff. I have successfully determined the correct chords. Here is how I approach the problem.

First, I note the key signature of the song. This obviously tells me what chords are likely to be encountered. For example, a song in the key of Eb would contain chords whose roots are Eb,F,G,Ab,Bb,C, and D. Then I begin by looking at the first bass note. The bass note will generally indicate the chord name. Then I look at the notes stacked above the bass note. So for example, if the bass note is Eb and the notes above it are G,Bb,C, I know the chord is Eb6. If the top note is a D, then the chord is Ebmaj7. If the notes above are G,Bb,Db it is Eb7. If the notes above are G,A,Db, then the chord is Eb7b5 and so on.

You may encounter diminished chords. It is important to remember that there are two diminished chords for every key note. Thus, in the case of Eb, you have an Ebdim chord and an Eb#dim (more conventionally known as Fdim)- every keybote has a diminished chord and a #diminished chord.

That is the process I use. Perhaps others have a different approach and can post their thoughts.

A long time ago I wrote a piece entitled "Introduction to Chord Voicings". It was sent to all forum members by Bebop. If you study it, it will help you understand chord formations/alterations. It is available for download on Bill Norrie's websight if you are interested.

Hope this helps. Take care, Jack and good luck.

Best Wishes,

Chuck
Manchester, UK

#46596 - 10/15/04 07:22 AM Re: Short Chord question
Jack Docters Offline

Loc: Eindhoven Netherlands
Hi Elizabeth ( also my wifes name ).
I know the using of 1 finger chords on my keyboard, it's not my choise to play like this.
Since I bought my first keyboard 6 years ago
I have been learning and playing approx 30 chords by head and reading many study books about music.
Reading and playing sheet music with chords is not a problem for me now.
Thats not the question.
Thanks for your replay

Hallo Chuck,
Hoe gaat het met jou ?
You know exactly where it pinches
I would printing out your detailed explanation and will study it.

Thanks again, Chuck and Elisabeth

Jack

#46597 - 10/15/04 08:51 AM Re: Short Chord question
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Hallo Jack,

Ik ben heel goed mijn vriend, dank U wel. En jouw? Ik ben gelukkig te helpen.

Jack, please contact me here or by e-mail if you have any questions. I will help you as much as I can.

Best Wishes,

Chuck
Manchester, UK

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online