SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#465193 - 01/25/19 10:17 PM how to use a projector for sing-a-longs?
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
This situation just came up yesterday and I've been thinking about it all day....in this sense.

The AD, who I know really well, advised me that some of the residents would like to have a dedicated "sing-a-long." And.....could I do it?

I normally give a one hour piano performance in this place once a month. She asked if one of these times we could change the program to the "dedicated Sing-a-long."

Originally I was going to use "sing-a-long" sheets and hand them out. But they're clumsy and the font has to be so large you could only fit one or two songs on a page.

Then I came up with the idea of a projector. And the more I think about it, the more I think it's a great gimmick for opening more doors in other venues.

But I know nothing about projectors or even what kind of screen to use. I'm guessing it's probably very simple. Type up the "words" to each song as a PDF or JPG. Attach the projector to my laptop via USB and call up each file as I need to.

I already have the music in my head so that simplifies everything......I THINK!

Lightweight portable projectors and screens seem to be around $100 each

Any suggestions on how to go about this and is it as simple as it sounds.

#465200 - 01/26/19 03:56 AM Re: how to use a projector for sing-a-longs? [Re: Mark79100]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Mark, this is so easy to do.. Here is what I do for my informal "karaoke" gigs..

I joined the Karafun on line service ($10 month)… Using my laptop or tablet with internet connection.. and a projector, I am able to show lyrics on the wall behind me and play studio quality songs via Karafun..

I use a Marantz voice rover amp, and run a couple mics.. Set up time is about 10 minutes..

Karafun has over 30,000 titles and seldom does not have what I need .. I also have my files (100,000 titles) on my laptop .. Karafun searches and plays both on line and mine..
A search takes about a second with Karafun .. and playlist is available..

Absolutely the best way to go..

https://www.karafun.com/karaokeplayer/

Edited by Fran Carango (01/26/19 04:00 AM)

#465201 - 01/26/19 03:56 AM Re: how to use a projector for sing-a-longs? [Re: Mark79100]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Mark, I fond the best way to accomplish what you are trying to do is to use their TV, and a Ipad, or a laptop computer. WiFi is possible. If not you will need a HDMI wire to connect the TV to what you are using.

Hope this helps, John C.

#465202 - 01/26/19 04:04 AM Re: how to use a projector for sing-a-longs? [Re: bruno123]
Fran Carango Offline

John my way , you have all the control.. and you can even use your cell phone to connect..
relying on a facility for TV , and internet can be a nightmare..

A $100 projector saves a lot of hassle and there is always a wall available..

#465213 - 01/26/19 07:58 AM Re: how to use a projector for sing-a-longs? [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
John my way , you have all the control.. and you can even use your cell phone to connect..

eventually it's KARAOKE TIME everywhere. and who want to carry all that extra gear into a 1 hr gig anyway just to do a singalong especially when if done correctly most residents know all the songs without using any display devices which for the most part will be hard to view form a distance anyway and your getting no extra pauy for doing all this too... surprised coffee

Edited by Dnj (01/26/19 08:33 AM)

#465216 - 01/26/19 08:30 AM Re: how to use a projector for sing-a-longs? [Re: Dnj]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY

"eventually it's KARAOKE TIME everywhere."

Singalongs have been around way longer than Karoake.

I used to sing along in kindergarten.

Singing in groups is one of the universal features of human musical cultures, and group singing has been often suggested as the primary form of the early human musical activity.[1] It has been suggested that human group singing was primarily promoting the cohesiveness within human groups,[2] and was possibly used to defend human groups from predators and competitors.

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (01/26/19 08:50 AM)

#465217 - 01/26/19 08:56 AM Re: how to use a projector for sing-a-longs? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

eventually it's KARAOKE TIME everywhere. and who want to carry all that extra gear into a 1 hr gig anyway just to do a singalong especially when if done correctly most residents know all the songs without using any display devices which for the most part will be hard to view form a distance anyway and your getting no extra pauy for doing all this too... surprised coffee

You are looking at it all wrong.. Plugging in a camera size projector and directing to a wall... the screen size could be 5 feet.

The visible lyrics are just another entertaining adventure for the residents.. even if they know most of the songs.. Money should not be the determining factor.. You are there to entertain... not to get rich.. grin

#465218 - 01/26/19 09:02 AM Re: how to use a projector for sing-a-longs? [Re: Mark79100]
Dnj Offline

How about to alleviate all the gear hauling, etc,.. just organizing your repertoire for NH jobs with ALL songs that they will sing along with you anyway that they remember and they can relate to throughout..?

#465219 - 01/26/19 09:07 AM Re: how to use a projector for sing-a-longs? [Re: Dnj]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
How about to alleviate all the gear hauling, etc,.. just organizing your repertoire for NH jobs with ALL songs that they will sing along with you anyway that they remember and they can relate to throughout..?

I need the lyrics smile

#465220 - 01/26/19 09:17 AM Re: how to use a projector for sing-a-longs? [Re: Fran Carango]
Fran Carango Offline

I think it depends on how many participate in the sing along..

If there is a great interest and participation, you can wing it...

I think about the Xmas show I do for my daughter's class (she is the teacher)..Children and parents all join in... informal, and great results... they have a good time... and easy to play on arranger like the EA7..

If the sing along material is as easy to perform, it could be a great "winging it" gig..

Remember the poster asked about the Projector, and why the response was directed towards his question smile

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online