SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#465175 - 01/25/19 10:43 AM (OT) WHEW!
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Didn't say much, but I recently had a medical scare, which made me take a serious look at things.

I was getting a colostomy, an hour before leaving for Atlanta for a video shoot. To be able to drive, I do them without anesthesia (OUCH!)!

The Dr came in the room with a concerned face and told me I had a 38 heart rate. He wanted me to go immediately to the emergency room. Instead, I had him call my GP, who is a long-time friend and who comes to listen to me often (must need a hearing check).

He verified the 38 rate. I told him I was going to Atlanta anyway (had 12 people waiting for me...many from 1000 miles away). He cut my Atenolol in half and made me promise to see hum the minute I got back. When I visited, I still had a 38 heart rate. Tim was shocked that I was conscious. He eliminated that med and that raised my heart rate, but also raised my blood pressure. He then adjusted one of my remaining two blood pressure meds and my pressure dropped. I was then 112 over 73, with a 73 heart rate. That was great, except for a suspicious rythem problem.He sent me to a cardiologist, who ordered a stress test, angiogram...the works. I did that yesterday.

The office just called to say the irregularity was "within tolerance...everybody has some), but there was a manageable slight narrowing of a heart artery...nothing to get too worried about, but something they would like to monitor. I go back in a few weeks for an additional "baseline" scan and a blood test they want that wasn't part of my recent annual physical.

WHEW!

I didn't make a big deal of this here, but it certainly got my attention.

I'm told that the Beta blocker I was on is very old and that, for some unexplained reason, it goes "bad" and the result is just what happened to me.

You never know....

Russ (glad to still be here) Lay

#465176 - 01/25/19 11:20 AM Re: (OT) WHEW! [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Russ, make sure you keep on top of that ...

#465177 - 01/25/19 11:30 AM Re: (OT) WHEW! [Re: captain Russ]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Russ, I echo Tony's comments. Stay on top of it!

#465180 - 01/25/19 01:23 PM Re: (OT) WHEW! [Re: captain Russ]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Stressful experience to say the least. Not exactly the trip you had planned... and it must have weighed on your mind heavily. Glad the medical folks got it squared away for you. Ditto Tony and Stephen.

#465209 - 01/26/19 06:48 AM Re: (OT) WHEW! [Re: captain Russ]
Jerryghr Offline

Loc: Buffalo, NY
My suggestion for members is to purchase a wrist device such as a Fitbit. You can track so many parameters in a few seconds by turning your wrist. There have been numerous reports of the device saving people from a disaster by monitoring their pulse for irregularities.

My kids wanted to purchase one for me a few years back, and I said "not for me". My son upgraded his device and gave me his old one to try. Now I wouldn't be without one. Tracks steps, sleep, pulse, steps, stairs, distance, stopwatch, time and more.

At a recent Doc visit the nurse checked my pulse and her manual calc was exactly what my Fitbit registered.

Regards,

Jerryghr

Edited by Jerryghr (01/26/19 06:59 AM)

#465268 - 01/26/19 10:27 PM Re: (OT) WHEW! [Re: captain Russ]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Keep well Russ.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online