SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#463808 - 12/27/18 07:37 AM USB Drives
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Increasingly on my BK9 I call up a performance ( a set of sounds and parameters edited and saved ) and there are some changes I know I didn't make. I'm constantly changing things in my preformances but some of these are strange. IE: my LH background sound being transposed and octave higher, etc.
I know the ones I'm using were not the most expensive but have worked fine for me till now.
Does anyone else have problems with older USB drives and what are the recommendations for some higher quality ones ?

#463809 - 12/27/18 08:29 AM Re: USB Drives [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Bill Lewis
Increasingly on my BK9 I call up a performance ( a set of sounds and parameters edited and saved ) and there are some changes I know I didn't make. I'm constantly changing things in my preformances but some of these are strange. IE: my LH background sound being transposed and octave higher, etc.
I know the ones I'm using were not the most expensive but have worked fine for me till now.
Does anyone else have problems with older USB drives and what are the recommendations for some higher quality ones ?

Seems more like an SD90 problem to me..

If something goes wrong with the data on an USB stick, then kost likely the data becomes faulty and not usable anymore...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#463826 - 12/27/18 02:31 PM Re: USB Drives [Re: Bill Lewis]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
I'm amazed at how much storage can be acquired now on USB Sticks so cheaply. I have several and use them to transfer songs from my non-internet PC to other computers. I also keep different "Sticks" for storing Style and Multi-Pad Files as well as photographs I want to save. I can only remember having a problem with one USB stick several years ago. It may have been caused by some of the pre-installed programming.

Bill, I've been happy with San-Disk, Lexar, HP and Dane Electric USB Memory Sticks. No favorites. They all work fine for me.

#463827 - 12/27/18 02:36 PM Re: USB Drives [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Thanks for the info. I do a lot of editing and then I do a lot of backing up. From my main drive I copy to three others usint the computer, then to a folder on my computer, and then to my computer HD backup. ( I really don't want to lose all those editing hours ) I'm thinking the gliches are happening during the backup process and today have read that USBs do have a limitied useful life. Maybe time for some new ones.

#463829 - 12/27/18 03:51 PM Re: USB Drives [Re: Bill Lewis]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Bill: I've read USB Drives, just like CD's and DVD's do have a limited life span. I've not heard the scientific details but would imagine there is some truth, depending upon usage and exposure to harmful elements such as extreme heat or cold.

Nothing wrong with having a backup regimin and even storage in a safe or protected area. I wish we had USB devices available a few years ago when we had to back-up our sophisticated Computer Aided Drafting System with tape each night and store them in the vault. It was a slow, time consuming, but necessary process to protect that investment of man-hours and productivity.

I just opened a package containing a SanDisk 32GB USB Flash Drive and noticed it had three different manufacturer's Apps or Programs pre-installed. One for Windows, one for the cloud and one for what appears to be normal usage. I use these memory devices across several operating systems but have not developed a trust or working relationship with what is called "The Cloud." I'm going to have to do some reading before I begin to use this latest Flash Drive.

Who was it that said, "Verify... then trust?"

#463831 - 12/27/18 04:32 PM Re: USB Drives [Re: Riceroni9]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Riceroni9

Who was it that said, "Verify... then trust?"

Nobody. But Ronald Reagan did say "Trust but verify" when signing a treaty with the soviets in 1987.

#463832 - 12/27/18 05:25 PM Re: USB Drives [Re: Bill Lewis]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Don't know if its right or wrong. I re-format all new flash drives.
My preference is SanDisk mini USBs....about the size of a thumbnail

#463843 - 12/28/18 04:15 AM Re: USB Drives [Re: btweengigs]
Dnj Offline

https://www.carbonite.com/

never worry about backup files ever again.....
saves all files automatically..
best thing I ever bought for my pc.

cool2

#463909 - 12/29/18 06:57 PM Re: USB Drives [Re: Bill Lewis]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Bill every time I tested a BK9 in the store I found new bugs. I wonder whether the transposition, etc., are a bug in the BK9 and not corruption of your USB drive. Obviously you should update to the latest version of the operating system, if you haven't already done so.

You might "back up" the USB drive to your PC, or even have two USB drives with the same performances. This would be one way to tell whether the problem is the drive, or the way the keyboard is reading in the data.

Also, editing and saving performances on these BKs is tricky. I use a BK7. So many times I've tried revoicing one of my user style tracks and saving over an existing performance. I was never successful. Every single time I opened that performance from USB I had to revoice it again.

I'll watch this thread, let us know if a new USB drive solves your problem!

Edited by TedS (12/29/18 06:58 PM)

#463930 - 12/30/18 07:47 AM Re: USB Drives [Re: Bill Lewis]
Bill Lewis Offline

Ted
I saving thing is somtimes a two part operation depending on what you've edited. One is the Preformance and the other is the USB folders. Once you understand it it is not that hard but I had trouble too in the beginning. Same thiing with the OT settings. At first I couldn't get them to save but now I wonder why did I have all that trouble. Keep at it.
The obvious answere came to me about changed settings from my USB. I edit and save on my BK9 in my studio, Before a gig I transfer to 3 other USBs for backup and also onto my MAC. Then when I do a gig I'm using my second BK9. Somewhere in that chain I'm getting a mis- write. 32G USBs are chaep so I'll have to try some new ones.
Thanks

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online