SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#463798 - 12/26/18 06:53 PM JINGLE nostalgia
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
While working in radio I had great admiration for the jingle makers....those who wrote the lyrics, the score and the actual performances. PAMS was king of the hill during my tenure in radio. PAMS has since morphed into JAMS. https://www.jingles.com

One of the most creative entrepreneurs I ever met had a recording studio in an RV. He had a library of at least a thousand canned instrumentals in lengths of :15, :30, and 60 seconds. He toured small markets seeking the highest rated radio station in each market. He cut deals with the station owners to work with the account execs to offer his jingle services to their clients. He would stay in a market for about a month, working with the station's AE's and their clients..... gathering information during the days and recording at night.

For really good prospects he did demos for free...and most bought. It was a win-win for all involved. He got a nice fee for his work from the purchase of a jingle or package of jingles. it meant added buys on the station, more exposure for the client and increased sales commissions for the AE's. While the canned music might be used for another client elsewhere, he guaranteed the same music would not be used in that market or a close neighboring one.

He made a very good living at it in the late 70's early 80's. I doubt the concept would work today as small market radio has changed dramatically over the years. But back then, he told me it provided a great way to see the US, work when he wanted to work and vacation anytime in between.

Edited by btweengigs (12/26/18 06:57 PM)

#463857 - 12/28/18 11:26 AM Re: JINGLE nostalgia [Re: btweengigs]
captain Russ Online   content

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
The jingle market was great until $500.00 portastudio's came on the market. Then, clients who used to pay $3,500.00 and up (the 70's and 80's)were being hustled by youngsters offering a package of a .30, .60 and .10, usually with a music and vocal intro and out, for flexibility.

That market has been replaced by YouTube video for corporate clients. Strong audio is the reason I'm booked up all the time at top dollar.

Don't know how I'd do if I were only selling music and not the package.

Right now, opportunities presented by popularity of YouTube projects for sound scores is better than ever. Of course, you have to be able to stay up thirty hours straight, and play under extreme pressure from producers, placement deadlines, clients, etc.

Wish this market had been around 20 years ago.

Russ

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online