SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#463101 - 12/14/18 12:49 PM SD 90 for gigs
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Ever thought about just bringing an SD 90(and a few cables/mic perhaps) to a gig?

Seems many are trying to reduce the workload. I would love to bring in something the size of a laptop/SD90.... Hook up to a midi enabled keyboard with speakers.

This isn't a criticism of the Genos...which I consider to be the best sounding keyboard I've ever owned. But a laptop version of the Genos ain't going to happen.

Guess I'm tired of hauling a cart/keyboard/amp/speakers/cables to a gig. Would much rather bring a module.

O.K. This is probably fantasy....but what the hey.

Edited by guitpic1 (12/14/18 12:50 PM)

#463103 - 12/14/18 01:00 PM Re: SD 90 for gigs [Re: guitpic1]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
Ever thought about just bringing an SD 90(and a few cables/mic perhaps) to a gig?

Seems many are trying to reduce the workload. I would love to bring in something the size of a laptop/SD90.... Hook up to a midi enabled keyboard with speakers.

This isn't a criticism of the Genos...which I consider to be the best sounding keyboard I've ever owned. But a laptop version of the Genos ain't going to happen.

Guess I'm tired of hauling a cart/keyboard/amp/speakers/cables to a gig. Would much rather bring a module.

O.K. This is probably fantasy....but what the hey.

Just get the SD90 and the controller keyboard of your choice and you'll be a happy camper with the best Live sounds and styles on the market, there is more then enough to cover any song in the Ketron library and the variations using the onboard tools
& launch pad, etc, and converted ones also.....
and your back will thank you a million times over for travelin' to gigs, wink .... Genos will sell easily..
go for it, life is too short ! cool2 ....

Good luck!

Edited by Dnj (12/15/18 06:22 AM)

#463107 - 12/14/18 03:32 PM Re: SD 90 for gigs [Re: guitpic1]
zionip Offline

Loc: TX
Hi guitpic1,

Ketron SD90 module is nice - it allows you to use your preferred keyboards, including the ones with 88-key hammer action.

There are 2 issues that you have to deal with when using SD90:

1. Not all keyboards with MIDI work well with SD90. I found the Casio Privia PX560 works best with the SD90 without MIDI timing or slippage issues. I have MIDI timing / slippage issues with Yamaha S90 and a brand new Kronos 2 88-key with SD90, with the same known good working MIDI cable.

2. The availability of good Ketron arranger styles is rare compared to Yamaha arranger styles.

You have to make sure that you do not forgot to bring a MIDI cable to your gigs.

Thanks,
Paul

#463117 - 12/14/18 11:06 PM Re: SD 90 for gigs [Re: zionip]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By zionip

1. Not all keyboards with MIDI work well with SD90. I found the Casio Privia PX560 works best with the SD90 without MIDI timing or slippage issues. I have MIDI timing / slippage issues with Yamaha S90 and a brand new Kronos 2 88-key with SD90, with the same known good working MIDI cable.

This really worries me, somehow i need to check this somewhere for myself with my Kronos. Its almost januar.

2. The availability of good Ketron arranger styles is rare compared to Yamaha arranger styles.

Yes, but the power of the Ketron is building your own styles. I plan to convert styles from other brands using EMC's styleconverter. And then combining the tracks of the many styleparts with ketron's own internal tracks. Sure that will take a time investemnt, but its something i am looking forward to..

I hope Ketron can handle a big database of user styles.

http://keyszone.boards.net

#463119 - 12/15/18 01:45 AM Re: SD 90 for gigs [Re: Bachus]
zionip Offline

Loc: TX
Originally Posted By Bachus

This really worries me, somehow i need to check this somewhere for myself with my Kronos. Its almost january.

Yes, but the power of the Ketron is building your own styles. I plan to convert styles from other brands using EMC's styleconverter. And then combining the tracks of the many styleparts with ketron's own internal tracks. Sure that will take a time investemnt, but its something i am looking forward to..

Good luck on testing your Kronos 88 with Ketron SD90 before you purchase one. I stopped using my Kronos 2 88 with SD90 due to MIDI timing issues - frequently missed notes when playing the keyboard fast. The cheap Casio Privia PX560 does not miss a beat when used with the SD90 though.

According to the description of EMC Style Works XT Ketron http://www.emc-musicsoftware.com/epages/...stwxt_0001-0004:
The software is not updated for SD7/SD40, or SD9/SD60/SD90 yet, it still only supports older Ketron arranger keyboards/modules:
"For SD-1, Midjay, SD-5/ 3, XD-9/ 3, X-1/ 4/ 8, Solton MS-40/ 50/ 60/ 100"

Launchpad is a nice feature of SD90, but it requires lots of time and learning efforts.

#463131 - 12/15/18 05:43 AM Re: SD 90 for gigs [Re: zionip]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Bachus

This really worries me, somehow i need to check this somewhere for myself with my Kronos. Its almost january.

Good luck on testing your Kronos 88 with Ketron SD90 before you purchase one. I stopped using my Kronos 2 88 with SD90 due to MIDI timing issues - frequently missed notes when playing the keyboard fast. The cheap Casio Privia PX560 does not miss a beat when used with the SD90 though.

According to the description of EMC Style Works XT Ketron http://www.emc-musicsoftware.com/epages/...stwxt_0001-0004:
The software is not updated for SD7/SD40, or SD9/SD60/SD90 yet, it still only supports older Ketron arranger keyboards/modules:
"For SD-1, Midjay, SD-5/ 3, XD-9/ 3, X-1/ 4/ 8, Solton MS-40/ 50/ 60/ 100"

Launchpad is a nice feature of SD90, but it requires lots of time and learning efforts.

I plan on spending that time..
And also invest in emc styleworks..

Currently using the kronos as master for the pa4x, having no trouble at all..
Can’t imagine there will be problems between k and sd90..
And otherwise, i will route midi trough the mac mini and its audio/midi interface..

http://keyszone.boards.net

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online