SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#463062 - 12/13/18 12:40 PM I just got a StudioLogic Numa Compact 2x
salsaman Offline

Loc: Port Angeles, WA., USA
I just received a Numa Compact 2x and am very impressed. This is the new model with the 9 drawbars for adjusting the hammond like organ tones.The organ engine has got all the percussion and chorus/vibrato enhancements of the real thing and you can individually assign these effects to each side of the split. The keyboard is very sturdily built but is still very light weight. The feel of the waterfall keyboard is somewhat weighted and feels great for piano playing and yet light for playing the organ tones. The keyboard layers and splits and has many great classic tones. It's a do it all in one keyboard for most gigs. Total MIDI control for us module auto arranger keyboardists. With all the "black friday" holiday promotions you can get it really cheap. It has internal speakers as well but does sound better amplified (bass) response wise. The internal sounds are all very usable and it is extremely intuitive to get around on even without a manual. Don't take my word but check it out if you can.

#463071 - 12/13/18 03:49 PM Re: I just got a StudioLogic Numa Compact 2x [Re: salsaman]
Torch Offline

A great report, and mine is coming tomorrow from Kraft Music. I once cancelled my order and bought one on eBay only to hear from the seller that it is a Compact 2 not the 2x. I saw him listing 2x again. I didn't trust him and decided to just wait.

If you can play some fast tunes like ragtime on it, I'd think that it could serve as a piano action. Sounds like they got the perfect balance for the keyboard action both for piano and organ playing.
"You Shall Know the Truth, and the Truth will set you free." John 8:32

#463099 - 12/14/18 12:34 PM Re: I just got a StudioLogic Numa Compact 2x [Re: salsaman]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Guys, here are some useful accessories I purchased (cheap) for mine. Just passing it on. You my already have these items. They all work well with the NC2X. I've had mine about a month now. Good luck.

1. Roadrunner 88-key slim padded gig bag. $51.95 - Musician's Friend

2. Proline Std. Expression pedal (for organ) $21.99 Musician's Friend

3. Universal Sustain pedal. $11.90 Ebay (Yescomusa)

chas

#463118 - 12/14/18 11:48 PM Re: I just got a StudioLogic Numa Compact 2x [Re: cgiles]
Torch Offline

Mine came in today. Overall, pretty satisfied. The keys are not quite long enough for fast piano style playing on the black keys. My fingers keep hitting the casing. The organ sounds are good enough, but the rotary is not going to cut it.

As Bachus mentioned before, the audio/MIDI over USB feature is extremely handy. I connected my IOS device. This eliminates a lot of cables as the IOS audio is fed back into the NC2x. Probably I will make a short video when I get together with my Hammond friend.

BTW, this gig bag on eBay is even more slim than the one Chas mentioned, and it would fit better as the NC2x is only 9 inch deep. This bag is only $22.75 shipped from California. 88 key slim bag

I have a Casio bag that is also very slim. Casio Privia 88 key bag on eBay $58

My Roland sustain pedal with a polarity switch didn't work with the NC2x, but the On Stage pedal that came with the keyboard from Kraft Music did. I've had similar experiences with other sustain pedals.

#463126 - 12/15/18 05:00 AM Re: I just got a StudioLogic Numa Compact 2x [Re: salsaman]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Interesting. Mine worked fine with the Roland pedal, however, it didn't work initially because I plugged it in with the keyboard on. Apparently this reversed the polarity. Turned it off and back on and it worked just fine. As for the gig bag, I saw the cheaper ones but decided to go for the better quality one. And yes, the 'short' keys are a PITA, but it's something you eventually adjust to (mostly) if you play it often enough. I mentioned that in a previous post when I first got mine. Most of the voices need some minor tweaking but are usable (except for high-quality recording). The organ is OK in a mix (I guess) but probably not satisfactory to an organ player. My guess is that the organs in a high-end synth (Montage, Kronos, etc.) would be better, despite the dedicated (organ) controls on the NC2X.

For an inexpensive all-around board with decent piano voices, it's a handy tool for remote rehearsals and lite gigs. Whether or not it makes sense depends on what other keyboards you have in your arsenal. I bought it for the price and the novelty. Would I send it back? NO. Would I buy it again? NO. Not because it's a bad board, but because I didn't need it in the first place. But hey, new 'toys' are so much fun smile.

chas

#463149 - 12/15/18 07:41 AM Re: I just got a StudioLogic Numa Compact 2x [Re: cgiles]
Torch Offline

Chas, what model is your Roland pedal? Mine is either the DP-8 or the DP-10. I used to order a lot of Roland products when a friend was a dealer. It might have come with my VP770. I assumed it had a polarity switch, but I found out that the switch toggles between Continuous and Switch; it supports half damper control. So that's reason it didn't work with the NC2X. Also, the NC2x doesn't seem to recognize the right polarity (when it starts with the damper pedal plugged in) and it has no menu to change the polarity. All my Boss foot switches with a polarity switch, of course, do work with the NC2x. No, biggie, but I just need to make sure that I do not take the Roland DP10 to gigs with the NC2x.

Chris

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online