SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#462410 - 11/30/18 03:58 PM Song titles that.......
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
If someone asked me if I could describe some of our more 'colorful' SZ members with a song title, my first response would be...

https://app.box.com/s/4558crvutc2xnplt51wku3aco8olusfr

Just a quick clip with organ and SEVEN (vibes) for those unfamiliar with the tune.

smile smile

chas

#462411 - 11/30/18 04:50 PM Re: Song titles that....... [Re: cgiles]
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Like that left hand! Like the tune. Been playing it for years. Used to play it on vibes.

TASTY!

R.

#462412 - 11/30/18 07:02 PM Re: Song titles that....... [Re: captain Russ]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Very nice chas, but that was like an appetizer ... I was waiting for the ad lib entree which never came !!! frown

I was playing a weekly restaurant gig shortly after the movie "When Harry Met Sally" came out. Harry Connick Jr. recorded this song among others for the soundtrack. During the gig a young lady asked if I knew the NEW Harry Connick song "I could Write a Book" ... I told her I was probably singing the song before Harry was born !!!

#462413 - 11/30/18 07:16 PM Re: Song titles that....... [Re: cgiles]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Good stuff, love it and the left hand,.......very nice!

#462415 - 11/30/18 07:37 PM Re: Song titles that....... [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

It was more of a poor attempt at humor, Tony (with a healthy dose of truth smile ). I was messing around with my SEVEN trying to remember the melodies of 'old' tunes we use to play. I was sort of hoping some other people would post a tune (or snippet of a tune) that THEY could associate with SynthZone. Just sort of a fun game. We've got a few humorous people here that I'm sure could come up with something.

I'll post a tune or two I did with Bob (my guitar player). He's fabulous but has this annoying habit that so many guitar players have....at rehearsals, when we finish a tune and want to discuss it or just relax for a couple of minutes, they keep strumming away, like they can't hit the pause button for a couple of minutes. Very annoying. Anyhoo....time for YOU to put up one of those smooth vocals, Tony (Jazz standard, please smile ); also, your neighbor Steve who I know plays some tasty piano. Arranger is optional.

chas

#462447 - 12/01/18 04:31 PM Re: Song titles that....... [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By cgiles
It was more of a poor attempt at humor, Tony (with a healthy dose of truth smile ). I was messing around with my SEVEN trying to remember the melodies of 'old' tunes we use to play. I was sort of hoping some other people would post a tune (or snippet of a tune) that THEY could associate with SynthZone. Just sort of a fun game. We've got a few humorous people here that I'm sure could come up with something.

I'll post a tune or two I did with Bob (my guitar player). He's fabulous but has this annoying habit that so many guitar players have....at rehearsals, when we finish a tune and want to discuss it or just relax for a couple of minutes, they keep strumming away, like they can't hit the pause button for a couple of minutes. Very annoying. Anyhoo....time for YOU to put up one of those smooth vocals, Tony (Jazz standard, please smile ); also, your neighbor Steve who I know plays some tasty piano. Arranger is optional.

chas

chas I, and I know others as well, would love to hear more of your work ... as for me posting a standard - be careful what you wish for ... wink

#462449 - 12/01/18 05:12 PM Re: Song titles that....... [Re: tony mads usa]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By cgiles

chas

chas I, and I know others as well, would love to hear more of your work ...

Plus one on hearing your work Chas. I may post something piano solo soon.

#462455 - 12/01/18 07:36 PM Re: Song titles that....... [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Hope so Steve. BTW, I have no objection to 'arranger' tunes or any other kind of tunes, but I do prefer the ones that show some level of creativity. Me, I tend to 'steal' a lot of stuff. At the moment, I'm in love with the 'vibes' on my SEVEN. I think the tones themselves are very realistic which means I have learn to think/play like a vibraphonist. I'll be listening to a lot of Milt Jackson and Vic Feldman in the next few days. I want to get good enough to do a creditable job on Midnight Sun (I'll bet twenty bucks that's a tune Russ does when he does Vibes).

Funny thing. I haven't recorded anything on my new NC2x. I think that's because every voice on it can be bested by something else I have. Oh well, it's still fun to play around with....sorta. Two things that bother me (but just a little) is that the keys are shorter than normal and very slick (no texture at all). Still a good buy for what it is (if you need such a thing).

chas

#462467 - 12/02/18 05:37 AM Re: Song titles that....... [Re: cgiles]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Love "Old Standards"... and I don't care if you play it using only your nose to peck out the notes... as long as it sounds as tasty as your rendition, Chas! Thanks, I needed that.

I used to love how Lionel Hampton would "break all the rules" in his style of play... and sometimes "accompany himself" with his semi-vocal "groanings"... and, if I'm not mistaken, he wrote, "Misty"... one of the legendary tunes of that era.

----West Mayberry Dave

#462471 - 12/02/18 07:47 AM Re: Song titles that....... [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thank you Dave. I believe it was Erroll Garner that wrote Misty, but no matter, I agree with you about the strength, durability, and MUSICALITY of the 'old standards'. As us old codgers like to say, "they just don't make 'um like that anymore" smile. And yes, Lionel Hampton will always be remembered for introducing the vibraphone to modern music (jazz). Now if we could just get Russ to get off his lazy butt and post some REAL vibes (like those beautiful guitar/vocal tunes he posted a bit ago - I still play them at least once a week 'cause it's got one of my favorite tunes on it - 'What are you doing the rest of your life'). Oh well, we'll just have to keep prodding him smile.

chas

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online