Song titles that.......

Posted by: cgiles

Song titles that....... - 11/30/18 03:58 PM

If someone asked me if I could describe some of our more 'colorful' SZ members with a song title, my first response would be...

https://app.box.com/s/4558crvutc2xnplt51wku3aco8olusfr

Just a quick clip with organ and SEVEN (vibes) for those unfamiliar with the tune.

smile smile

chas
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Song titles that....... - 11/30/18 04:50 PM

Like that left hand! Like the tune. Been playing it for years. Used to play it on vibes.

TASTY!

R.
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Song titles that....... - 11/30/18 07:02 PM

Very nice chas, but that was like an appetizer ... I was waiting for the ad lib entree which never came !!! frown

I was playing a weekly restaurant gig shortly after the movie "When Harry Met Sally" came out. Harry Connick Jr. recorded this song among others for the soundtrack. During the gig a young lady asked if I knew the NEW Harry Connick song "I could Write a Book" ... I told her I was probably singing the song before Harry was born !!!
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Song titles that....... - 11/30/18 07:16 PM

Good stuff, love it and the left hand,.......very nice!

Re: Song titles that....... - 11/30/18 07:37 PM

It was more of a poor attempt at humor, Tony (with a healthy dose of truth smile ). I was messing around with my SEVEN trying to remember the melodies of 'old' tunes we use to play. I was sort of hoping some other people would post a tune (or snippet of a tune) that THEY could associate with SynthZone. Just sort of a fun game. We've got a few humorous people here that I'm sure could come up with something.

I'll post a tune or two I did with Bob (my guitar player). He's fabulous but has this annoying habit that so many guitar players have....at rehearsals, when we finish a tune and want to discuss it or just relax for a couple of minutes, they keep strumming away, like they can't hit the pause button for a couple of minutes. Very annoying. Anyhoo....time for YOU to put up one of those smooth vocals, Tony (Jazz standard, please smile ); also, your neighbor Steve who I know plays some tasty piano. Arranger is optional.

chas
Posted by: tony mads usa

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/01/18 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By cgiles
It was more of a poor attempt at humor, Tony (with a healthy dose of truth smile ). I was messing around with my SEVEN trying to remember the melodies of 'old' tunes we use to play. I was sort of hoping some other people would post a tune (or snippet of a tune) that THEY could associate with SynthZone. Just sort of a fun game. We've got a few humorous people here that I'm sure could come up with something.

I'll post a tune or two I did with Bob (my guitar player). He's fabulous but has this annoying habit that so many guitar players have....at rehearsals, when we finish a tune and want to discuss it or just relax for a couple of minutes, they keep strumming away, like they can't hit the pause button for a couple of minutes. Very annoying. Anyhoo....time for YOU to put up one of those smooth vocals, Tony (Jazz standard, please smile ); also, your neighbor Steve who I know plays some tasty piano. Arranger is optional.

chas

chas I, and I know others as well, would love to hear more of your work ... as for me posting a standard - be careful what you wish for ... wink
Posted by: Stephenm52

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/01/18 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By tony mads usa

chas

chas I, and I know others as well, would love to hear more of your work ...

Plus one on hearing your work Chas. I may post something piano solo soon.

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/01/18 07:36 PM

Hope so Steve. BTW, I have no objection to 'arranger' tunes or any other kind of tunes, but I do prefer the ones that show some level of creativity. Me, I tend to 'steal' a lot of stuff. At the moment, I'm in love with the 'vibes' on my SEVEN. I think the tones themselves are very realistic which means I have learn to think/play like a vibraphonist. I'll be listening to a lot of Milt Jackson and Vic Feldman in the next few days. I want to get good enough to do a creditable job on Midnight Sun (I'll bet twenty bucks that's a tune Russ does when he does Vibes).

Funny thing. I haven't recorded anything on my new NC2x. I think that's because every voice on it can be bested by something else I have. Oh well, it's still fun to play around with....sorta. Two things that bother me (but just a little) is that the keys are shorter than normal and very slick (no texture at all). Still a good buy for what it is (if you need such a thing).

chas
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 05:37 AM

Love "Old Standards"... and I don't care if you play it using only your nose to peck out the notes... as long as it sounds as tasty as your rendition, Chas! Thanks, I needed that.

I used to love how Lionel Hampton would "break all the rules" in his style of play... and sometimes "accompany himself" with his semi-vocal "groanings"... and, if I'm not mistaken, he wrote, "Misty"... one of the legendary tunes of that era.

----West Mayberry Dave

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 07:47 AM

Thank you Dave. I believe it was Erroll Garner that wrote Misty, but no matter, I agree with you about the strength, durability, and MUSICALITY of the 'old standards'. As us old codgers like to say, "they just don't make 'um like that anymore" smile. And yes, Lionel Hampton will always be remembered for introducing the vibraphone to modern music (jazz). Now if we could just get Russ to get off his lazy butt and post some REAL vibes (like those beautiful guitar/vocal tunes he posted a bit ago - I still play them at least once a week 'cause it's got one of my favorite tunes on it - 'What are you doing the rest of your life'). Oh well, we'll just have to keep prodding him smile.

chas
Posted by: DonM

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 08:01 AM

Just catching up a little...it's a busy time of year.
Love the song Chas, very tasteful and well played!
Posted by: travlin'easy

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 08:03 AM

Bout time you got off your dead arse and posted something. Excellent musicianship, old friend.

Gary cool
Posted by: Riceroni9

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 08:12 AM

I knew the minute I wrote it down... I had given credit to the wrong man... LOL! Both were artists I enjoyed so much. B-T-W- I'm hoping Russ is busy giving guitars and amps away right now and I think that is a super-nice thing to be able to do. I didn't retire that well... but if I had, you bet I'd be giving away stuff and enjoying every minute of it. If I ever get lucky enough to write an old standard and have somebody like Josh Groban propel me into the hallowed halls of some big brokerage on Wall Street (to handle all the money coming in...) I'll be known as Mr. Generosity! Have a great week, Pal!

----Dave

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 08:25 AM

One of the best things one can give is time. I'm playing two more church luncheons in the next week. Of course both are Christmas themes, and I love Christmas music.
Now that I have two complete setups again, I can play the Veteran's home more regularly, one of my favorites places.
"I don't have much money, but boy if I did..." --Elton John.

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 08:30 AM

Don, Gary, if you're a hack (like me), one thing that will almost always bail you out is to pick a GOOD TUNE. Genre' doesn't matter; from Country to Rock to Blues to Jazz, always pick a good tune (that's one that is hard to mess up smile ).

BTW, I'm not lazy...much. It's just that my organ is in a different room from my 'studio' so it's kind of a PITA if I want to use my 'good' organ (the KeyB). I have a computer and interface in both locations so it's just a matter of transferring files (via my home network, but still...). I'm considering moving the SEVEN in with the KeyB (but it seems so happy in my studio where it is smile ). Oh well...

I'm not trying to be modest, believe me, but that tune was not intended as a music post (else I'd have done more than 1 verse). I thought I was being funny (obviously THAT didn't work out smile ).

chas

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By Riceroni9
B-T-W- I'm hoping Russ is busy giving guitars and amps away right now and I think that is a super-nice thing to be able to do. I didn't retire that well... but if I had, you bet I'd be giving away stuff and enjoying every minute of it.
----Dave

If I hit the lottery, I'll be giving it to the poor.....poor large-breasted women.

chas
Posted by: montunoman

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 08:39 AM

Nice rendition Chas. So many great tunes from that era. I’m glad my parents were always playing great albums so grew hearing all the standards. Here’s the version I remember my folks playing, the Dianah Washington version:

https://youtu.be/a6XCS9MXYHY

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 09:00 AM

The humor did not go unnoticed here! smile But the pickin' was reel guud two.
Posted by: bruno123

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 10:57 AM

Chas, I love the song you played. Your right hand played it like a real pro. Melody with just a touch, it doesn’t get better. Record one with your guitar, I have not played my guitar, it may give me some incentive.

Thanks, John C.
PS, simplicity can add so much beauty to a song.

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/02/18 11:42 AM

John, I don't play REAL guitar (wish I did), and my keyboard simulation is not very good (DonM is the master of that), but I do agree with you that with songs with great melodies, oftentimes 'less is more'. Also, go grab that guitar. Never stop playing your primary instrument, it'll just make you better on the others. Have a good day.

chas
Posted by: Nigel

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/04/18 12:25 AM

Also, go grab that guitar. Never stop playing your primary instrument, it'll just make you better on the others. Have a good day.
chas

Chas you are so very musically wise.

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/04/18 04:54 AM

Why thank you Nigel. I've never been called 'wise' before; a 'smartass', yes, but 'wise', never smile.

chas
Posted by: Uncle Dave

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/04/18 06:18 AM

Why thank you Nigel. I've never been called 'wise' before; a 'smartass', yes, but 'wise', never smile.

chas

Joey Bishop once said that the only true smart ass is someone who can sit on a bowl of ice cream, naked ... and tell you what flavor it is!
Posted by: captain Russ

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/06/18 11:50 AM

My friend Chas is a class act, on many levels. A few people make you glad to know them and what they are about. For me, Chas is in that select, very small group.

Waived in your direction down and back on 75 this week, Chas.

Please send me a private email with updates.

Russ

Re: Song titles that....... - 12/06/18 01:19 PM

Will do, Russ.

chas