SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#46084 - 01/18/05 02:37 PM George Formby
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Folks.
Two posts in one night, but I think this is great.
I have been looking at midi files, and came across this one. http://www.formby54.freeserve.co.uk/

I think it will be of great interest to all British members I am not sure of other countries!.
The site covers a lot of artists, but one in particular, George Formby.
It is obvious lots of work was involved in creating this site, as it is with all other similar sites.

George was a firm favourite in the UK, but I am not sure how far his fame extended world wide,
He was a brilliant Banjo Player, and in spite of his Lancashire accent, that was present in his
Singing. He was greatly loved. I am from Lancashire but I could not attempt to sing in his style. He was unique!.

But one week every year in Blackpool where I live, thousands of George Formby fans invade.
Every one brings a Banjo and sings. I am not exaggerating when I say they fill the Winter Gardens, which seats well over a thousand people, all of them play and sing at the same time. Can you imagine the sound?. I make a point of going once during the week. And I am entranced at the obvious love they have for George. His songs were very up tempo and with just a Banjo he really did swing. George made many movies and is missed.
Please try the site. Enjoy.
Sincerely.
Joe

#46085 - 01/18/05 03:20 PM Re: George Formby
Bazz Woods Offline

Loc: British Isles
Joe,

Did you know Paul McCartney&George Harrison
are members of the Formby appreciation society.
Sorry in georges case was. (sad).

Cheers Barry

#46086 - 01/19/05 03:57 AM Re: George Formby
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote, From Barry Woods.
Did you know Paul McCartney&George Harrison
are members of the Formby appreciation society.Sorry in georges case was. (sad).

No Barry I didn't know,thanks for pointing it out to me.It does indicate that George Formby was Great, to have fans of their standing, Speaks for itself.
Sincerely.
Joe

#46087 - 01/19/05 04:04 AM Re: George Formby
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
George had so many great songs. When I was 15 and learning guitar I taught myself "When I'm Cleaning Windows" and some of his other songs from a sheet music album of his I'd bought. I would make my classical guitar sound like a banjo by just playing it mainly on the highest 4 strings. He played some fantastic swing chord progressions. You just gotta love George for his music.

I grew up with the Beatles and Jimi Hendrix and always loved all music including Django Reinhardt and George Formby.

[This message has been edited by Nigel (edited 01-19-2005).]

#46088 - 01/19/05 07:21 AM Re: George Formby
D.Munson Offline

Loc: UK
Quote:
Originally posted by Phil Lynch:
Hi Folks.
Two posts in one night, but I think this is great.
I have been looking at midi files, and came across this one. http://www.formby54.freeserve.co.uk/

I think it will be of great interest to all British members I am not sure of other countries!.
The site covers a lot of artists, but one in particular, George Formby.
It is obvious lots of work was involved in creating this site, as it is with all other similar sites.

George was a firm favourite in the UK, but I am not sure how far his fame extended world wide,
He was a brilliant Banjo Player, and in spite of his Lancashire accent, that was present in his
Singing. He was greatly loved. I am from Lancashire but I could not attempt to sing in his style. He was unique!.

But one week every year in Blackpool where I live, thousands of George Formby fans invade.
Every one brings a Banjo and sings. I am not exaggerating when I say they fill the Winter Gardens, which seats well over a thousand people, all of them play and sing at the same time. Can you imagine the sound?. I make a point of going once during the week. And I am entranced at the obvious love they have for George. His songs were very up tempo and with just a Banjo he really did swing. George made many movies and is missed.
Please try the site. Enjoy.
Sincerely.
Joe

Hi Joe,
You missed out "I couldn't blow a blast on me whistle"

Derek

#46089 - 01/19/05 08:42 AM Re: George Formby
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi Folks.
If Nigel was also a fan of George,then George was internationaly known. Any more fans of George outside of the UK?.
Joe.

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online