SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#4605 - 04/30/05 01:51 PM Midi Controller Keyboards
Jukingeo Offline

Loc: NY
Hello...

This is basically an extension (of my already long) Keyboard Controller Confustion Post.

With one of my requirements (partially) filled. I think I am going to veer away from the Casio/Yamaha all in one home units and rather use a dedicated controller.

I will fill you in in what I am looking for.

As a refresher, I am mainly looking for something to control soft synths. I was originally looking at a hardware based synth keyboard that I can use to do the job, but alas, they can be pretty pricy (even used) and moreover, many lack the controls I desire. In my search...only one Synth...the Roland JD-800 has more than enough sliders to work with. However, they are all sysex and not cc...so that is a problem.

Now I am looking into dedicated controllers. I am looking to keep the price at around $500, because there are some cool soft synths I would like to purchase right off the bat. So I would like to hear your opinions on these choices I narrowed down below.

The contenders:

First up: M-Audio.

While there are enough controllers from them that would fit my needs, I am axing everything from this company. Their keyboards feel like cheap home/ toy keyboards. So iksnay on M-Audio just to let you know.

Next up: Doepfer. Absolutely love the d3 organ set up on their home page and this set up would fill about 90% of my needs. Moreover, this stuff looks REALLY well built. Downers: The price is WAY out of the ballpark and further, I don't know of anyone who sells these here in the US. But I will keep my mind open for the future. Looks like really good stuff.

Next Up: Studiologic...VMK-88. Looks like it will definately do the job in a relatively light but LONG package. Would be happy with something like this in a 61 key package. Good news is the price is right! The only thing stopping me from going this route is that I never was able to get my hands on one. Most of the local music stores do not carry it. I would figure the price/number of keys ratio, would dictate this as a rather 'cheap' unit. So bascially I would need to know otherwise. Has anyone used this unit and is happy with it?

Next: Yamaha P-120. While not a controller...this unit has THE BEST keyboard feel of anything I touched. Very much like a real piano. The built in piano/organ sounds are AWESOME. The price, more than double...but considering the built in sounds are excellent, it would make up for the cost in terms of soft synths. So the problem is I would need an alternative box for midi controls. Any suggestions? How does this unit compared to it's cheaper brothers, the P-90 and P-60?

Next: Edriol controller-61 key. I considered these only because Roland makes the keyboards for them and the 'feel' would be there. Price is really nice and low. However, there is one one annoying thing...only 8 sliders. Need 9 for B4. Again, like the VMK-88, I never touched one.

Next: Korg Kontrol49

This is a fairly new unit that came out and while it is one octave short of my minimum, it does have quite a few neat features that I like. There is definately enough controls. While it does suffer from lack of the last 9th slider for B4, it does make up with the 16 velocity/pad switches. Also you can label the controls electronically. It is a small unit and will even fit on my desktop. As I said it does fall one octave short of what I am normally used to...but you can offset the keys...so that is a help. Price is right on this unit as well.

Control only options: Evolution UC-33e

If I were to go the Yamaha P series option above I know I would need a control-only controller. This was one that I just looked at. I never heard of this company before, so I do not know how well their products are made. But one thing I must say...it has all the options I would need...24 rotary controls, 9 (yeah NINE) faders, 14 buttons and a whopping 33 presets. Moreover they offer overlays for the control functions of popular software packages. Nice piece and at $260 it is a nice price too. It looks promising, but has anyone used this piece? How is the quality?

Ok, I will stop here.

Thanx in advance,

Geo

#4606 - 05/02/05 03:39 PM Re: Midi Controller Keyboards
to the genesys Offline

Have you looked at the Roland A-37? It is a 76 key controler.

#4607 - 05/02/05 06:13 PM Re: Midi Controller Keyboards
Jukingeo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by to the genesys:
Have you looked at the Roland A-37? It is a 76 key controler.

Yes, I have considered this keyboard and it DOES look good, but like most of them here I have not played around with it. Can it key split? Generally something that large I would like to see at least one split.

Thanx,
Geo

#4608 - 05/04/05 02:35 PM Re: Midi Controller Keyboards
KeithB Offline

Loc: Melbourne AUSTRALIA
The A-37 has dedicated buttons for lower, upper and split sections of the keyboard. The split point can be set wherever you wish. In addition you have two MIDI outs. With this keyboard I have it attached to a Technics KN7000 (and other sound modules)via a Midi Merge box and so control left split (arranger section) and right split (melody) on the KN7000. The purpose is to give me 76 keys to play with!
Keith

#4609 - 05/04/05 04:34 PM Re: Midi Controller Keyboards
Jukingeo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by KeithB:
The A-37 has dedicated buttons for lower, upper and split sections of the keyboard. The split point can be set wherever you wish. In addition you have two MIDI outs. With this keyboard I have it attached to a Technics KN7000 (and other sound modules)via a Midi Merge box and so control left split (arranger section) and right split (melody) on the KN7000. The purpose is to give me 76 keys to play with!
Keith

Yes, I found out about the split point myself. I downloaded the manual the other day. I was reading up on it and overall it does look like a nice piece. The only thing is the lack of knobs and sliders. I would mostly for sure would have to get another piece such as the evolution UC-33e. But I would have done this anyway if I decided to go the route of a digital piano.

Thanx, Geo

#4610 - 05/04/05 04:42 PM Re: Midi Controller Keyboards
sLOWER Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
...A-37 keys are not so good...

sLOWER

#4611 - 05/04/05 05:06 PM Re: Midi Controller Keyboards
Jukingeo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sLOWER:
...A-37 keys are not so good...

sLOWER

Really? I guess I would definately would have to check this out. Right now I am leaning towards the Korg Kontrol49. It is a bit limiting on keys, but so far I have heard rants and raves about this unit...and it supposedly has a really good feel. The advantage though is that I can place it on my desktop. Should I get a digital piano later, I can just put this unit on top and have an upper/lower keyboard set up. We will see, I am still deciding, but at least I am narrowing the options down. So that is a good thing.

Geo

#4612 - 05/04/05 05:50 PM Re: Midi Controller Keyboards
sLOWER Offline

Loc: Zagreb, Croatia
Did You try Kurzweil SP76(88,88x)?...It's a very good midi controler,and stage piano aswell...

sLOWER

#4613 - 05/05/05 06:09 AM Re: Midi Controller Keyboards
Jukingeo Offline

Quote:
Originally posted by sLOWER:
Did You try Kurzweil SP76(88,88x)?...It's a very good midi controler,and stage piano aswell...

sLOWER

Hello again. I actually do not like this piece. I have fixed them many times before and they are troublesome. I seen everything from keys that just quit to entire blown computer modules. They are not builtlike the K2600 and any Kurzweil in that series. Also when it comes to repairs, Kurzweil/Young Chang doesn't even want to know you...they send you off to a service-dealer...and even then most will not sell you parts. Luckily, I been able to get most of my Kurzweil parts from Sweetwater.com. You might want to jot this site down folks for those of you that have Kurzweil products. Sweetwater is one of the very few decent places to get parts for Kurzweil.

I guess another reason I am leaning towards the Korg Kontrol 49 is that I am a service center for Korgs and their office is local. So I can easily get parts for any of their items. So naturally it was a no brainer to check out their SP series pianos. But, alas, I didn't like them. The feel is good, but not like the Yamaha P series. The sound is not even close.

Thanx for the input though.

Geo

#4614 - 05/08/05 07:41 AM Re: Midi Controller Keyboards
lowfrequencyoscillator Offline

Loc: atlanta , Georgia , USA
The keys and contacts are not good because the Roland A series controllers are made in Italy . By Viscount to be exact . Nothing against Italy , it's just they have a bad rep when it comes to electronic instruments .

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online