SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#459938 - 10/18/18 09:57 PM Selling used gear
Bachus Offline

Its becomming harder and harder to sell used gear for a good price overhere in europe

what are your experiences with this?

http://keyszone.boards.net

#459942 - 10/19/18 04:04 AM Re: Selling used gear [Re: Bachus]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
I can't really comment on the current market sinceI haven't sold any used gear since 2016 but I've had good experience and received a good price for what I've sold. Of course, I bought at the right price originally too. I've used Craigslist for selling my gear. The only time I've used SZ is when I sold an SD7 to someone here on the forum. ( I did buy the SD7 from another SZ member) . I'm sure what helped for the quick sale is that I live in a densely populated area of the North East, Boston is just under an hour drive and there's lots of potential customers to draw from. Looking to the immediate future I don't see myself selling off any gear that I have at the moment.

#459943 - 10/19/18 05:16 AM Re: Selling used gear [Re: Bachus]
jimlaing Offline

Loc: Raleigh, NC
I've had pretty good luck using Ebay for smaller items - audio mixers, processors, modules, etc. I just finished selling 2 items that way in he past week. I also did sell one or two keyboards through Ebay, but once got "bit" by some sort of scam where someone "stole" my posting and copied my posting on some scam site in Canada. It made my Ebay sale not go through; then I re-posted it cleanly to Ebay again a month later, and the auction and sale went fine. That was a Technics KN-7000.

I am originally from the Boston area too (but move to North Carolina some years ago) ... when I was near Boston, as StephenM52 mentioned, there was a much larger 'audience' of people to sell to, vs. central North Carolina where there are not as many.

I have used Craiglist too, but more recently went to Ebay to get a wider audience.

I have read/heard people talking about Reverb.Com as a place to sell, but I have not tried that yet.

Jim

#459947 - 10/19/18 05:46 AM Re: Selling used gear [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Excessive expensive 10% Ebay/PayPal fees and High Shipping costs can ruin your deal when you add it all up also.

Edited by Dnj (10/19/18 05:47 AM)

#459980 - 10/19/18 10:19 PM Re: Selling used gear [Re: Dnj]
vangelis Offline

Loc: FLORIDA
Originally Posted By Dnj
Excessive expensive 10% Ebay/PayPal fees and High Shipping costs can ruin your deal when you add it all up also.
I would agree with Dnj people who buy don't realize how much you well get when you sell on Ebay and then on the other hand some idiots raise the prices although they know it will never sell and you can't buy either because of the high price

#459982 - 10/20/18 01:16 AM Re: Selling used gear [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj

Well, 10% of ... thats not causing the big fall..

1200 euro new MOXF6 is selling used 3 years old for 400 euro..
With a huge price drop like that, the 10% ebay fee is a non issue..
High shipping cost tough would be huge making it even worse..

The synth market except for some vintage models is really feeling it in europe.. Yamaha arrangers is a different story, as dealers keep their prices high.. because its their main buiseness model of selling new arrangers..

However the same dealers often dont trade in used synths, because they are so hard to sell.. as ebay and and online market place are much much cheaper.

#459989 - 10/20/18 07:10 AM Re: Selling used gear [Re: Bachus]
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
Most music stores in my area want nothing to do with used digital keyboards on trade. Pawn shops will give you ten cents on the dollar.

I’ve been gradually selling or giving my stuff to my kids. It’s one reason I’m not too interested in more keyboards as they aren’t the easiest to sell or to ship if one has to do that.

Edited by guitpic1 (10/20/18 07:13 AM)

#459991 - 10/20/18 08:13 AM Re: Selling used gear [Re: guitpic1]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By guitpic1
Most music stores in my area want nothing to do with used digital keyboards on trade. Pawn shops will give you ten cents on the dollar.

I’ve been gradually selling or giving my stuff to my kids. It’s one reason I’m not too interested in more keyboards as they aren’t the easiest to sell or to ship if one has to do that.

It used to be their trademark..
I am not surprised most music shops are closing down..
And people are buying online..

There simply is no reason anymore to buy local..

#459992 - 10/20/18 08:25 AM Re: Selling used gear [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Bachus

I am not surprised most music shops are closing down..
And people are buying online..

There simply is no reason anymore to buy local..

...except for being able to 'try before you buy' AND supporting the local economy AND keeping the local stores so that there is a PLACE to 'try before you buy' AND the convenience of local service and support AND a chance to meet and talk to (socialize) with other musicians and keyboard enthusiast. Besides, although I have NOTHING against the guy, Jeff Bezos and the like have enough money, let's let the 'little guy' have some smile.

chas

#459995 - 10/20/18 01:43 PM Re: Selling used gear [Re: Bachus]
rikkisbears Offline

Loc: NSW,Australia
Hi,
I was going to try and sell my pa3x and my psrs 950 a few months back because we were downsizing our home and moving.

Put the psr on eBay. Got a bid within hours. Auction closed, buyer nowhere to be seen. Decided to leave it till after we moved because of time constraints.

Strangely enough I get a message thru eBay a few weeks later someone wanting to buy the psr for a couple of hundred less. Sounded a bit suspicious because for all intents and purposes I would have thought the keyboard would have shown up as being SOLD.

The original bidder had apparently just registered a few hours before bidding.

Shipping costs in Aust. are pretty high. Australia post will only ship up to a certain weight and size. Some of the couriers are pretty expensive. Unless you live in a city, pretty hard to sell stuff, and additional postage costs doesn’t help.

20 / 30 years ago , used to be a breeze selling secondhand keyboards etc.

I used to keep stuff for about 6 months or so, sell it. I used to all but get my money back, because of the great discounts I got thru work.

Trying to resell my keyboards over the last 10 years or so , pretty much put a dampener on my new gear lust. Haha

Korg PA5X 88 note
SX900
Band in a Box 2022

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online