SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#459771 - 10/16/18 12:47 PM Yamaha vs Roland sound
Bachus Offline

The new modx is firce competition for the Roland fa08.

Just decide which you like better...
the brand new modx
Or the good olf Roland fa

I own both (modx6 and integra7 which is the same soundsource, just more of it)
I made up my mind which altough i really like them both..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#459772 - 10/16/18 01:04 PM Re: Yamaha vs Roland sound [Re: Bachus]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
I listened to about six or seven of the comparisons. Although most of the best samples were too reverb-y, I consistently liked the Roland better. Without going into a lot of detail, the Roland just seemed to have more clarity (definition?). I have absolutely NO BRAND BIAS, and besides, it's all subjective. I guess you're going to wait on a few more opinions before you tell us your pick (we're almost always biased towards our latest big expenditure smile ).

chas

#459773 - 10/16/18 02:13 PM Re: Yamaha vs Roland sound [Re: Bachus]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
I played both at SamAsh music..

I was glad to see Yamaha come out with a reasonably priced keyboard,,

At the end of my playing both.. I thought overall the FA08 was the better buy..

I listened to the YouTube demo , and had my integra7 set up with a controller.. This way, I could see the selected Roland sounds, if they were Supernatural or PCM from the 5080..

I didn't expect the Yamaha to compete with SN sounds, and it does not, neither does any other source..

I was surprised that the MODX didn't fair well against the pcm Roland sounds either..

I especially thought the Yamaha EPs were not good ..Their Rhodes sounds can't touch the Roland offerings..

Reading the comments on youtube made me laugh.. biased towards Yamaha ..

Any honest evaluation would be along my lines.. grin

PS: I still think it was the right move for Yamaha... I can't believe the Montage is doing that well.. price wise.. over priced..

Roland FA are priced right where they need to be..

#459779 - 10/16/18 04:39 PM Re: Yamaha vs Roland sound [Re: Bachus]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Guitars and horns go to Yamaha, keyboards...a horse a piece. The remaining sounds were just kind of chopped up by mediocre playing.

jingleman

#459780 - 10/16/18 05:03 PM Re: Yamaha vs Roland sound [Re: jingleman]
jingleman Offline

Fran, The last arranger I had from Roland was the bk5. Some of the best styles I’ve heard on an arranger keyboard.

My problem with Roland electric guitars is their insistence on keeping the same chunky attack on every note. It destroys any realism. The best electric guitar sounds I’ve heard on an arranger keyboard, are the ones on the psr970.

JMO...jingleman

#459782 - 10/16/18 05:50 PM Re: Yamaha vs Roland sound [Re: jingleman]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Fran, The last arranger I had from Roland was the bk5. Some of the best styles I’ve heard on an arranger keyboard.

My problem with Roland electric guitars is their insistence on keeping the same chunky attack on every note. It destroys any realism. The best electric guitar sounds I’ve heard on an arranger keyboard, are the ones on the psr970.

JMO...jingleman

Supernatural takes it to the next level..

Edited by Fran Carango (10/16/18 05:59 PM)

#459783 - 10/16/18 06:01 PM Re: Yamaha vs Roland sound [Re: Fran Carango]
jingleman Offline

Which brings up the Roland paradox. They played with sonic cell sounds in their arrangers forever. They kept the E series sounds tucked away for some reason. Now they’ve got SN sounds and some decent E series sounds...but no decent arranger to compete.

What gives?

#459784 - 10/16/18 06:32 PM Re: Yamaha vs Roland sound [Re: jingleman]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Which brings up the Roland paradox. They played with sonic cell sounds in their arrangers forever. They kept the E series sounds tucked away for some reason. Now they’ve got SN sounds and some decent E series sounds...but no decent arranger to compete.

What gives?

The BK9 has 22 Supernatural acoustic sounds , plus around 500 SRX sounds..

#459799 - 10/17/18 02:21 AM Re: Yamaha vs Roland sound [Re: Bachus]
Bernie9 Offline

Loc: Port Charlotte,FL,USA
I had the BK9 and there was a lot to like, sound and style wise. I had other issues with it and sold it to Bill Lewis. I am wondering why it was not successful. The organ and leslie was great. Many did not like the two small screens, but they had a logical purpose.

#459801 - 10/17/18 03:55 AM Re: Yamaha vs Roland sound [Re: Fran Carango]
jingleman Offline

The BK9 has 22 Supernatural acoustic sounds , plus around 500 SRX sounds.. [/quote]

The BK9 is no longer. Why not put a touch screen on it...a vocal harmonizer...price it competitively...throw in more SN sounds with a sequencer...and then load it up with their great styles. Personally...I think they'd have something. But who am I. A lonely old jingle writer who registers sex offenders to make a living. I'll get off my soap box now.

jingleman

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online