SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#459352 - 10/09/18 01:41 PM Played one of these today
guitpic1 Offline

Loc: Missouri
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CGP700BK--casio-cgp-700-digital-piano

My cousin bought one of these new, left it in the box. I told him we would spend some time together checking it out, which we did today. He didn’t have the keyboard on the stand and he ran it through a PA with 10 woofer. We spent most of the morning and part of the afternoon playing it.

The pro’s.

Very nice touch screen interface...easy to navigate.

A number of very impressive styles...sounded great. Some of the styles sounded every bit as good to me as a few that were comparable on Genos.

Loved the simulated hammered action. The keys had a bit of roughness to them, made them easier for me to play.

This keyboard was made to compete(I think) with my DGX650. To my way of thinking, the Casio far surpasses my DGX650.

If I were to get one of these, just to play at home, I would most likely get the PX560.

I imagined using one of these Casios in a gig...the 88 Keys and hammered action makes playing more enjoyable for me....probably not likely to gig with one though.

Issues include, styles. As good as they were, the number and type of styles is limited and I couldn’t figure out if I could edit them. Also, I have no clue if styles could be added.

The piano/string voices were ok for me but most of the other voices were only ok to passable.

Bottom line, I was not expecting the styles to sound as good as they did...some were just outstanding.

The built in speakers were iffy at best. But we did not use the included stand which also had speakers.

In the end, I couldn’t help but think a higher end arranger, with 88 hammered action keys, in the mid 20lbs, might be a possibility.

Thoughts?

#459357 - 10/09/18 02:36 PM Re: Played one of these today [Re: guitpic1]
guitpic1 Offline

Based on my experience...just ordered the PX560

#459360 - 10/09/18 02:47 PM Re: Played one of these today [Re: guitpic1]
MacAllcock Offline

Loc: Preston, Lancashire, England
The Casio key action has been very good for quite a while. My only issue with it is that it is noisy compared to other mechanisms, so for headphone use at home this is a factor. But if that isn't an issue for you, its as good as it gets at the budget end of the market, and it's also a three sensor system.

#459361 - 10/09/18 02:55 PM Re: Played one of these today [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
It’s great they make a quality keyboard at this price point.
I was considering this keyboard when I was in the market for the digital piano. But I ended up getting Korg Havian 30. I feel it has a better arranger selection and the chord sequencer is an amazing practice tool .

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#459387 - 10/10/18 04:18 AM Re: Played one of these today [Re: montunoman]
guitpic1 Offline

The Havian is definitely a good board. I thought about it, if it can still be found, but it was more weight and cost than I wanted.

Tx for the comments.

#459388 - 10/10/18 04:42 AM Re: Played one of these today [Re: guitpic1]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By guitpic1
The Havian is definitely a good board. I thought about it, if it can still be found, but it was more weight and cost than I wanted.

Tx for the comments.

Yes you’re right. It’s a bit bulky for gigging. Mine mostly stays at home.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#459460 - 10/11/18 06:56 AM Re: Played one of these today [Re: MacAllcock]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By MacAllcock
Casio key action has been very good for quite a while. My only issue with it is that it is noisy compared to other mechanisms, so for headphone use at home this is a factor.

Agreed. This is a HUGE factor when recording with a live mic (singing while playing) The noise floor includes all the key thumps. It gets worse with time, too.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online