SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#458998 - 10/02/18 09:53 PM trouble accessing Youtube videos
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
These last few months I'm getting the following messages on many Youtube videos:

"Your browser does not currently recognize any of the video formats available."

Paul's recent one is giving me the same message (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rm4G26gPXE)

I did a lot of Google research and got somewhat of an understanding but I can't seem to put the bits and pieces of info together.

Here’s what I came up with…..

My browser is Firefox. They upgraded it to Firefox Quantum a while back. I refused the updates because it is a whole new program that won’t take on the standard Firefox add-on’s. so I’m running an older Firefox version.

My Flash player can’t be upgraded because I’m running XP with SP2 (SP3 is required).

Anyone else having this problem? Haven’t had trouble viewing videos for years. Why suddenly the bumps in the road?

Mark

#459002 - 10/03/18 12:44 AM Re: trouble accessing Youtube videos [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Loc: English Riviera, UK
At least upgrade to SP3 as your current system is a disaster waiting to happen.
YouTube has changed significantly over the last couple of years so you will need to upgrade the browser. (The latest Firefox (Or other browsers) will have all the add-ons you need, plus they will be up to date) The fact that people refuse to upgrade for the latest security patches is why Microsoft had to force updates on later OS (You can postpone them for a few weeks) to bring them up to the standard of MAC and Linux OS which do it automatically. (And you don’t hear MAC or Linux users complaining)
You could also be infected, as security updates have stopped for SP3, so SP2 is an open book.
If you don’t want to pay to upgrade windows (Win 10 is the best windows ever in spite of some concerns) try Linux Mint (You can run it alongside XP) and add Wine if you have specific Windows programs you need to use. (You will still need an anti-virus/malware program as wine opens up Linux to the same problems as Windows. (Unlike the latest Windows Linux has no defences built in unless you use pure Linux programs and forget wine)
Most windows programs have an equivalent version in Linux but in a lot of cases will not have all the latest features as it takes time to port them over.
One more thing, most programs don’t even support XP any more so you should really change it ASAP.

Bill

#459098 - 10/04/18 10:19 PM Re: trouble accessing Youtube videos [Re: abacus]
Mark79100 Offline

Bill.....thanks for this reply. I didn’t know you were so familiar with computers, OS’s, etc. I pretty much understand what you’re saying but not all of it. I can live with this Youtube situation.....just that I can’t watch a lot of stuff now including Synthzoner’s video posts.

As I understand it, you said “YouTube has changed significantly over the last couple of years.” So I’m assuming (since I can still watch more than half of them) that new video’s being posted daily are now being done in a format that my old version of Firefox does not have the capability to play? Is it that simple? Update Firefox and the video problem will disappear?

Problem here is the latest version (Firefox Quantum) has had a complete makeover. Glad I listened to my instinct and didn’t do the upgrade for now. Did some Googling and found a lot of people unhappy about the update. It’s a totally new Firefox (new coding) that doesn’t allow for the “add-on’s” “extensions” that made past versions of Firefox so wonderful. I’ll have to stay as long as I could with my present Firefox. I don’t trust some of the other browsers, particularly Chrome.

I’m still using XP because all my data from years back is on there and there seems to be no sure way of transferring the Database info to a Windows 10 program. I called Microsoft about Access and Excel and I got the usual answers you get from a company call center.....that’s “Duhhhh.” Also XP has programs that I need and can’t replicate with Win10. SP3.....there was an important reason I stayed with SP2 but I can’t remember what it was!

Using another OS like Linux starts to get into complications for me. I’m a very simple guy who prefers simplicity.

So I’m kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place. My XP machine’s capabilities are slowly diminishing. But I did buy a fully loaded Dell laptop with Windows 10 on it last year……just never use it.

Now, if you have an answer for this situation coming up, please……let me know. I’m out of ideas.

My data is in the database and word processor documents of MS WORKS format (WDB and WPS). I bought the laptop to transfer everything. It’s not working out that way. I’ve saved many of my important database files as CSV files, so it has the data and the “separator” in each one. I thought I’ll just buy Access or Excel and transfer all info to one of these databases. Problem.....I can’t get clear answers from anyone about “can I do this?” (buy one of these MS programs and will it clearly open up in Win10). Seems the world is being run by kids, including Microsoft and local Microsoft stores. If it has nothing to do with a phone app, they know nothing about the “big-boy” software packages.

If you have a suggestion, would you please pass it along. I DO need to get this data off of XP and onto some professional Win10 software program that will last longer than I will even.

Mark

#459104 - 10/05/18 06:28 AM Re: trouble accessing Youtube videos [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

Hi Mark

Firefox Quantum (The name given to the latest version of Firefox) has now been out for ages (In software terms) so no reason not to upgrade, there are 1000s of add on and extensions available for it and pretty much every previous one has been updated for it, (Or at least an equivalent is available) so the chances of the one you want not being available is virtually zero.
All modern video is embedded in HTML 5 (HTML is the code used to make web pages) as Flash has too many vulnerabilities in it, so while most browsers will still run it (Although you may have to activate it in the browser settings) it should be avoided if at all possible.
The latest browsers fully support HTML5 so there should not be any problems with YouTube, however there will be some sites that will not run as most pages these day use https rather than the old http as well as requiring certain security protocols that Windows XP does not have, (This applies to all browsers) so just be aware of this.

MS Works Word processor files (wps) can be opened in MS Word, spreadsheet files can be opened in Excel by saving them in xls format in MS Works first, the MS Works database files can be opened in Excel by saving them in CSV format in MS Work first. (If you still have the MS Works program it will run on Windows 10 by installing it using Windows compatibility mode (Right click the install file choose properties and follow the instructions in the compatibility tab) specifying Win XP)

Have fun and get off XP as soon as possible.

NOTE: Once you have transferred everything from your old computer and it is working properly on your new computer, you can use your old computer to try out a Linux distribution (Linux Mint is an ideal starter) and have some fun.

Bill

#459234 - 10/07/18 10:42 PM Re: trouble accessing Youtube videos [Re: abacus]
Mark79100 Offline

Hi Bill....No, I didn't know Firefox Quantum has been "out for ages." But, I did a lot of Googling and found that a lot of the Legacy add-ons will NOT work with Quantum...unless the info I read is outdated. Tab Mix Plus is the one everyone needs for effortless gliding through the browser!

I finally understand what you're saying about the video's. Simple as....my browser needs updating, period!

I'm going to leave the whole thing alone for now and live with "unavailable video's." I don't want to start playing with any downloads and take a chance on XP crashing on me. All my data will go down the drain. But I do have backups of all data and the XP installation disc (WITH SP3) and the MS WORKS disc.

It appears from all my research that...WORKS WILL install on Win10, but...it "might work fine, might work only sometimes, might not work at all" according to reports. I can't take a chance with my data on losing some of it along the way.

Can you advise me on this. I'd like to get out of XP and go to Win10 (and a new desktop computer) with my database info. I'm pretty sure my databases (now saved as CSV's) will open up in Excel or Access and then I can reformat the new database.

QUESTION: Do you know for sure (or how can I find out) YES...they WILL open up in Excel/Access? And which one is the best one to use for a "database." I think Excel is for spreadsheets? As I said, no one in Microsoft (stores or the company) seems to know anything these two two programs.

Mark

#459259 - 10/08/18 08:18 AM Re: trouble accessing Youtube videos [Re: Mark79100]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
A couple of points that may help--
I did all my early songs in Works. I converted them to MS Word a number of years ago. You can "batch-convert" them, so you don't even have to do them individually.
I no longer even use MS Word now. I use Apache Open Office. It has the same six programs that Office has. It has worked flawlessly for me. It even opens PDFs. Did I mention it is totally free? !!
I have kept current on all the MS OS updates. Windows 10 is fantastic and I've had zero problems. It came out several years ago you know. It has a very good security system. I no longer use a third party Firewall or active virus program, other than the one built in.
Not saying you shouldn't, just relating my experience.

#459277 - 10/08/18 11:45 AM Re: trouble accessing Youtube videos [Re: Mark79100]
abacus Offline

HI Mark

The extension you mention has not been updated as most of what it does is now included as standard within Firefox, plus there is a similar add-on available to fill in the rest, so no problems there. I suggest you create a restore point in XP and then upgrade to the latest Firefox and try it out for a week or so, then if you still don’t like it (Although you will wonder why you didn’t upgrade ages ago) you can easily re-install the old version, or if not available a simple system restore will bring it back.
Excel does more than just spreadsheets as it can even import Access files a page at a time, so no need to worry there.
I suggest you install Virtual Box on your Win 10 computer, and load XP into a virtual box which will allow you to run all your old software, if for some strange reason you cannot get it to run on Win 10. (A virtual box will allow you to run Win 10 (With all its security features) and XP simultaneously)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_D9kYJ9KPlo&list=PLEADC4E42C8C89F07&index=168

Bill

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online