SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#458905 - 10/01/18 11:09 AM Time to Quit, I think.
captain Russ Offline

Loc: Lexington, Ky, USA
Last Friday was my 74th birthday. The day started at 6:00 AM, at a position I hold at a University. At 10:00 AM, I left for a playing job at the City Hall. At 1:00 PM, I was shooting stills of a new product and working on a YouTube channel posting. At 2:00 P.M I was setting up for a house party that started at 5:00. Full small rig: 2 keyboards, PA, powered monitor, SansAmp and guitar. Played there from 5:00 to 9:00. Showed up at the country club at 9:30 and worked to 12:00 PM. Then, on to the studio for an emergency edit of footage about a socialite who passed away that day.

Just back from a 14 hour session for a large Truck manufacturer. Now, back to the house I played at Friday to pick-up the keyboards.

In the middle of the house party, I realized I have had enough.
I don't enjoy entertaining, but this has always been my access to the kinds of clients who need and can afford my films, brochures, research, etc.

With advancing age and the addition of 120 hours per month in the studio and 30 plus video productions annually for my foreign clients, I'm close to only doing a half-assed job on the whole mess.

Quite a birthday, huh? I should be glad to have had the career I have had. Sadly, today, at least, THE THRILL IS GONE!

R.

Edited by captain Russ (10/01/18 11:18 AM)

#458907 - 10/01/18 11:34 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Get some sleep. Take a day for yourself. Spend 30 uninterrupted minutes with Annie (NOT talking about business), and rethink your blessings.
That'll be $275 dollars, please.
Dr. Dave

#458909 - 10/01/18 11:40 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Stop and smell the roses.

#458910 - 10/01/18 11:51 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
Dnj Offline

Good luck Russ... No shame in passing the baton..... Sit in the audience for a change enjoy the music..

#458911 - 10/01/18 11:54 AM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Be careful my friend. Don’t feel like you have take every job that comes your way.
Two musicians friends used to keep schedules like yours. Both fell asleep behind the wheel. One of them died and the other is now severely disabled.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#458918 - 10/01/18 12:51 PM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: Uncle Dave]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Russ, while you are still in demand readjust so you can still enjoy.
John C.

#458920 - 10/01/18 01:30 PM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Russ, happy birthday old friend. As I have said many times in the past, there will come a time when you must stop and smell the roses before someone is placing them on your casket.

From my own, personal experience, I can tell you not to wait until health issues force you to retire. I really didn't want to retire - I had to retire. And, I sincerely believe you are on the same boat. Fortunately, you have someone to pass the baton on to, where in my case there was no one to pass it along to.

I can assure you that you will continue to do some of the things, musically, that you have always enjoyed doing. I still record some songs, and if I were physically able, I would be performing at some private parties.

Now, Lake Cumberland is not far from you, and if I recall, you enjoyed sailing, but no longer do so. Well, here's your golden opportunity with a 65-thousand acre lake not far from your home. And, from what I remember about this lake, it has some great recreational fishing opportunities available for walleye, yellow perch, hybrid stripers, white bass and largemouth bass. Go for it!

Gary

Edited by travlin'easy (10/01/18 03:39 PM)

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#458922 - 10/01/18 01:47 PM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Russ, slow down but DON'T QUIT. You're already a grumpy old man smile and if you stop doing music and teaching and running a company and social activism and God knows what else, you'll just get worse....and you know what that could lead to, SPENDING MORE TIME ON SYNTHZONE....and nobody wants that smile.

Hey, you know where you can come for some much needed R&R. Maybe you can teach me how to "feel" 5/4 time....nobody else has been able to smile. Seriously, if you do decide to make a few holes in that hectic schedule, you know I'm not that far away. Talk to you soon.

chas

#458937 - 10/01/18 05:59 PM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: captain Russ]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
I know a Jimmy Buffett cover band that is looking for a keyboard/bass/guitar/vibraphonist ...
smile

#458940 - 10/01/18 07:15 PM Re: Time to Quit, I think. [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
I know a Jimmy Buffett cover band that is looking for a keyboard/bass/guitar/vibraphonist ...
smile

I heard Chas filled that position as an accordionist.. shocked

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online