#457737 - 09/09/18 01:54 PM Chord recognition question
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Hi folks! How does your Korg arranger recognize the following key combination:
Split: On
Chord recognition mode: Fingered 1
Bass Inversion: On
Keys pressed to the left of the split: E1 and C2

My Pa800 acknowledges this as "E #5" (E Augmented)
I'm wondering whether older Korgs like the i-series, Pa50 or even MicroArranger would interpret this as C/E (C major with E bass.)

Could some of you please give this a try, and post your results. Also indicate which model Korg you're using. [For curiosity sake, you might even try the experiment with Bass Inversion "off." On my Pa800 it makes no difference.] Thanks!!

#458281 - 09/18/18 12:13 PM Re: Chord recognition question [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Wow, nine days and... crickets! Where my Korgies at? No one wants to break out their MicroArranger to try this?

#458354 - 09/19/18 10:37 PM Re: Chord recognition question [Re: TedS]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
Wow, nine days and... crickets! Where my Korgies at? No one wants to break out their MicroArranger to try this?

Not many are readin the sub forums these days
You might want to ask the question again in the general arranger forum

Sadly i can’t help you
I only have a pa4x...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#458879 - 09/30/18 10:42 PM Re: Chord recognition question [Re: TedS]
124 Offline

Hi Ted. Yup, as Bachus said, I rarely visit this sub-forum of the site - so I've just seen your question.

On the i30, recognition modes are a bit different. There are just three:
Easy
Normal
One Finger

"Easy" results in Eaug
"Normal" results in C
"One Finger" results in C7

So I'm not really sure what the correlations are there.

I have a Pa3x and my result on those two notes is the same as yours, "E #5". I'd never come across this before as I'm always locked in Expert mode, not that I'm an expert :), but I do play full three- and four-note chords all the time in the left hand.

Hope this helps you out.

#458891 - 10/01/18 08:55 AM Re: Chord recognition question [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Not what I hoped to hear, but it mostly makes sense...
In Easy mode: E aug because E plus eight half-steps is C, which is an augmented fifth. So in "Easy" mode, this is a two-note shortcut to play any augmented chord. This two-note fingering is not documented in the appendix, although two-note shortcuts for some other chords (such as sus4) are shown.

In "One Finger" mode: This is based on the Yamaha system. When you play any key and a white key to the left, it triggers a seventh chord. So C + E below = C7. Weird, but Yamaha thought this system would be easier for people without knowledge of chord theory, and most of the other brands now have a mode like this too.

Your results in the "Normal" mode surprise me... I would expect "C" with bass inversion turned off. But with "Bass Inversion" turned on, I thought for sure this would give C/E (C with E bass.) In Normal mode I think at least 2 notes are required to trigger a chord.

I sometimes use Expert mode if a song has a crazy mix of straight and slash chords. One thing I don't like about that mode: When you need a chord like Am7/G, 3-note fingering gives you Am7, and it's hard to span the octave to the next G. If you just play G+A it gives the G bass, but doesn't know whether you want A major or minor. I think Yamaha invented this mode too, they call it "AI Fingered."

I agree that 3- and 4-note fingerings are the way to go. But when I try to play music written for organ and bass pedals on a single-manual arranger, the shortcuts really help to reduce the amount of hand movement. Korg's system is pretty good and logical. Personally I like Roland's system the best, but I wish all makes of arrangers permitted more customization in this area.

Thanks for checking these combis!

Edited by TedS (10/01/18 09:22 AM)

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online