SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#458617 - 09/24/18 05:24 PM Re: Why buy a modx instead of a Montage [Re: Dnj]
Crossover Offline

A/D converters... that has always been a hot debate if it still plays a role at all or not. Some say all current converters are so good that you don‘t hear a difference. He mentions that the Montage has more insertion effect capabilities. I suspect this is more likely to be responsible for some layered sounds sounding fuller on Montage. It wouldn‘t be a reason for me to prefer the Montage. The Integra has very bad reverb, the MoXF had a much better one. If the MODX effects are on the MoXF level, I‘ll have nothing to complain about.

#458622 - 09/24/18 10:20 PM Re: Why buy a modx instead of a Montage [Re: Crossover]
Nigel Offline
Admin

Loc: Ventura CA USA
Originally Posted By Crossover
A/D converters... that has always been a hot debate if it still plays a role at all or not. Some say all current converters are so good that you don‘t hear a difference.

I gotta agree with this. It is like Olympic performance. While the best may be 1% better who can really tell that sort of difference in the real world.

#458626 - 09/25/18 01:01 AM Re: Why buy a modx instead of a Montage [Re: Dnj]
Bachus Offline

Originally Posted By Dnj
Originally Posted By Bachus
Originally Posted By Dnj
Price, costs less then half
Weight, weights less then half
Size, almost half

Isn’t that enough reason to buy a modx?

There IS a big difference in overall sound quality for sure judging by all the demos I have heard of both.

No,there is absolutely NO difference in sound, as its exactly the same sound engine and sound hardware...

Al sounds, effects, arps, performances that are in montgae are also in the modx..

Really? Then why is it so much less in price?

Marketing...

And inside electronics cost zero to nothing ...
The montage has an expensive case ... alluminium
And expensive knobs and sliders with ledlights...

But mostly marketing...
Which i have been saying for ages...
In this buiseness costprice has no real influence on payed price..
Prices are defined by what people are willing to pay..

Originally Posted By shueymusic
Different DIgital to Analog converters between the Montage and the MODX.

This is not really an issue..
I think they might even use the same a/d conversion...
In the case of montage and modx, you can allways use the usb digital audio out, which is lossless... and use any high end audio interface connected to your pc for best audio quallity, if you think a/d conversion really makes a difference..

I think its a no issue for atleast a decade now..

http://keyszone.boards.net

#458627 - 09/25/18 01:09 AM Re: Why buy a modx instead of a Montage [Re: Crossover]
Bachus Offline

A/D converters... that has always been a hot debate if it still plays a role at all or not. Some say all current converters are so good that you don‘t hear a difference. He mentions that the Montage has more insertion effect capabilities. I suspect this is more likely to be responsible for some layered sounds sounding fuller on Montage. It wouldn‘t be a reason for me to prefer the Montage. The Integra has very bad reverb, the MoXF had a much better one. If the MODX effects are on the MoXF level, I‘ll have nothing to complain about.

The moxf effects are on Montage level, namely exactly the same..
The differences in dsp power is the number of simultanous effects
Montage 34 inser dsp, or 16 channels+ a/d input
modx 26 insert dsp, or 12 channels + a/d input

The sounds sounding fuller on the montage is probably because of internal settings..
Probably having different settings for master eq and reverb..
As the instruments insides are exactly the same..
The Montage only has a little but more of the same, but not much..
According to Blake edwards and Mister Mister Phil, there is no difference..
Just visit Yamaha’s synth forum, and see what they have to say...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#458629 - 09/25/18 04:11 AM Re: Why buy a modx instead of a Montage [Re: Dnj]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Harvard Business School 101. Pricing has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of production.

I think Fran said it. The market and competition dictates price.

I remember the first time I played the PSR-3000. I felt totally ripped off as it sounded just like my TYROS 1.

Yamaha is extremely cognizant of what the market will bear.

jingleman wink

#458630 - 09/25/18 05:03 AM Re: Why buy a modx instead of a Montage [Re: jingleman]
Crossover Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Harvard Business School 101. Pricing has absolutely nothing to do with the cost of production.

I think Fran said it. The market and competition dictates price

Well, this is true in the economic models which require the perfect market with infinite competition, an infinite number of suppliers, perfect knowledge of the consumers etc. In fact, as the number of suppliers is very limited, reality is a bit different...

#458634 - 09/25/18 06:46 AM Re: Why buy a modx instead of a Montage [Re: Bachus]
Crossover Offline

The moxf effects are on Montage level, namely exactly the same..
The differences in dsp power is the number of simultanous effects
Montage 34 inser dsp, or 16 channels+ a/d input
modx 26 insert dsp, or 12 channels + a/d input

The sounds sounding fuller on the montage is probably because of internal settings..
Probably having different settings for master eq and reverb..
As the instruments insides are exactly the same..
The Montage only has a little but more of the same, but not much..
According to Blake edwards and Mister Mister Phil, there is no difference..
Just visit Yamaha’s synth forum, and see what they have to say...

I didn‘t say the Montage sounds different, I just tried to explain why others say they are hearing differences, and to me it seems more likely to be due to different effects or effect settings than A/D converters.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online