SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#458082 - 09/14/18 09:48 AM Importing inst. to US from pvt seller in Germany?
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Apologize for the Off-topic, but I need the expertise of this board...
I might purchase an electronic instrument from a gentleman in Germany. The seller is a private individual--not a shop or manufacturer, and the transaction will take place outside of eBay or any kind of organized online nexus.

I assume he's honest and has good intent. But he stated that I would be responsible for the customs. Any time in the past that I've bought an instrument from overseas, the seller handled those details, and eventually it showed up on my doorstep.

Besides paying some fees, what else will I have to do? Hopefully I won't have to go to the east coast to inspect it, sign for it, pick it up, etc.

Who here has done this? Please advise.

#458092 - 09/14/18 12:14 PM Re: Importing inst. to US from pvt seller in Germany? [Re: TedS]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Hi Ted,

I live in Los Angeles. I bought a 'JASPER' dual keyboard stand from Germany 5 years ago ($500 plus). I think I paid an additional $20 custom fee at the local post office. I can't remember the exact amount, but it wasn't much. The package was pretty big, but didn't weigh a whole lot.

#458098 - 09/14/18 02:21 PM Re: Importing inst. to US from pvt seller in Germany? [Re: TedS]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
So you're saying you made out a check to U.S. Customs when you picked it up at the post office? That's pretty convenient!

#458107 - 09/14/18 04:13 PM Re: Importing inst. to US from pvt seller in Germany? [Re: TedS]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
I bought a keyboard from Thomann in Germany and it showed up customs due from UPS..gave UPS guy check..

#458117 - 09/15/18 12:44 AM Re: Importing inst. to US from pvt seller in Germany? [Re: sparky589]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By sparky589
I bought a keyboard from Thomann in Germany and it showed up customs due from UPS..gave UPS guy check..

Same here...except I went to the post office to pick it up myself. At least that's how it was 4 or 5 years ago.

#458123 - 09/15/18 05:48 AM Re: Importing inst. to US from pvt seller in Germany? [Re: TedS]
Gunnar Jonny Online   content

Loc: Norway
There is a difference if buy from a dealer contra private. Taxes / WAT. Thomann take the WAT out before send,
and UPS or other add the local WAT when the package going through the custom office.
When buy private, they usually add WAT to the import related to the value + shipping costs.
Where I live it's not any import taxes for musical instrument, but WAT is 25% and will be added to the cost.
Maybe check it out before close the deal. If set the value for the item too low, it may be a problem
if damage during the voyage, and claim any insurance.....
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online