SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#457491 - 09/04/18 08:19 PM Trying to record the SEVEN
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
This baby is hard to record. No matter how much I dial back the input, it still seems to overwhelm the inputs and muddies up the recorded sound. It just doesn't sound like it does live. Weird, 'cause all my other stuff does. I probably need some kind of limiter or something on the input signal. Here is a sample. Just fooling around - no drums, just the SEVEN. I did add a VOX from the G7 towards the end, just to add a little color. The voice on the SEVEN is an untweaked preset called MKS EP.

The tune is an old tune called Cristo Redentor, which I think means Christ the Redeemer in Portugese. Just a simple chord pattern played first in Cm then repeated in Gm (kinda clever, actually). No exotic or jazz chords, mainly because of the density of the tones. It's a pretty tune, kind of sad, really. I may try to flesh it out one day when I have nothing else to do. I haven't heard it in years so it may not be totally correct chord wise, but hey, it was just spur of the moment.

Any suggestions about how to improve recording this really 'thick' (fat?, dense?) signal would be appreciated.

https://app.box.com/s/mvw24uwim4ksyev07f4w3xtk7q58nhrm

chas

#457495 - 09/04/18 09:02 PM Re: Trying to record the SEVEN [Re: cgiles]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Catchy! Very Catchy! I'll remember this for a while for sure. I wasn't even listening to the track quality...it didn't matter at all.

#457502 - 09/04/18 11:36 PM Re: Trying to record the SEVEN [Re: cgiles]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
Chas, just the we need phantom power to boost the output for some microphones, there are units that will reduce the output. Volume controls can not do the job without losing quality.

I like your recording, but it’s hard getting past the distortion.
John C.

#457503 - 09/05/18 02:41 AM Re: Trying to record the SEVEN [Re: cgiles]
Saswick Offline

Loc: Garstang, Preston, Lancashire,...
Hi Chas

If you gave some idea of your recording equipment someone may be able to help, without knowing what you use to record it's an impossible question.

Col

#457505 - 09/05/18 04:14 AM Re: Trying to record the SEVEN [Re: Saswick]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Saswick
Hi Chas

If you gave some idea of your recording equipment someone may be able to help, without knowing what you use to record it's an impossible question.

Col

Ditto

#457506 - 09/05/18 04:53 AM Re: Trying to record the SEVEN [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Yeah Sam, it is the kind of tune that sticks in your head.

John, this was a direct recording, no mics.

Col, Dnj, I used my trusty Alesis IO/26 (great interface) into REAPER (plenty of available effects plugins). Everything I've ever recorded into that configuration has been crystal clear. Only this voice and the DX7 voice on the Crumar SEVEN seem to overwhelm it. I think it may be the pre-fader effects (reverb, stereo phasing, etc.) that's causing it. Obviously I can't add them post-fader nor do I want to. I want to get the 'live' sound I want and record THAT. Oh well, I'll keep working on it. The classic Rhodes preset (untweaked) fares much better. Experimenting is frustrating but fun smile.

chas

#457507 - 09/05/18 05:26 AM Re: Trying to record the SEVEN [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Yeah Sam, it is the kind of tune that sticks in your head.

John, this was a direct recording, no mics.

Col, Dnj, I used my trusty Alesis IO/26 (great interface) into REAPER (plenty of available effects plugins). Everything I've ever recorded into that configuration has been crystal clear. Only this voice and the DX7 voice on the Crumar SEVEN seem to overwhelm it. I think it may be the pre-fader effects (reverb, stereo phasing, etc.) that's causing it. Obviously I can't add them post-fader nor do I want to. I want to get the 'live' sound I want and record THAT. Oh well, I'll keep working on it. The classic Rhodes preset (untweaked) fares much better. Experimenting is frustrating but fun smile.

chas

Chas very interesting tune with an eerie melody to it which I like smile .....can't wait to hear it when you RE-Record it once you get the recording kinks worked out good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aQ1iHnkqiXA

some useful info

Edited by Dnj (09/05/18 05:49 AM)

#457510 - 09/05/18 05:57 AM Re: Trying to record the SEVEN [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Donny, I've been using REAPER for quite a few years now but it is constantly changing and there is always something new to learn. I'll read this article throughly, I'm sure there is a lot of good info in there.

chas

#457530 - 09/05/18 10:03 AM Re: Trying to record the SEVEN [Re: cgiles]
OldNewb Offline

Loc: Shorewood Wi. USA
Hi Chas,
Sometimes the best solution is also the simplest.
If the live sound from the seven that you’re hearing is what you want to record , have you considered doing just that? Using mics on the speakers to record?
Am sure you’ve probably thought of this already though so don’t know if I’ve been of any help
Good luck I’m sure you’ll get it.
Jim

#457538 - 09/05/18 12:46 PM Re: Trying to record the SEVEN [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Thanks Jim, yeah I thought about it but haven't tried it. I've got a couple of decent large condensers so I'll give it a shot. Thanks.

chas

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online