SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#457468 - 09/04/18 12:59 PM Why I liked SAM CA's demo so much
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Simple. Because it was performed by one of own Synthzone members, it was performed beautifully, and it actually had a purpose. It was accompanied by a clear explanation of the product, a product that could be very useful to many members here that own the host instrument. This is such a contrast to the gazillion YT videos posted here, many (most?) of which contain no information, no discernible reason for posting, and in most cases, is readily available to anyone interested in such a thing via personal YT search. I'm not saying we should stop posting YT videos, but there should be a purpose and an explanation accompanying it. And, wherever possible, try to make it a video (or audio recording) of YOU demo'ing YOUR material or YOUR piece of equipment. Obviously there are exceptions, like if you're the first to spot a new product that you think might be of interest to the group and that they may not otherwise be aware of.

I'm just saying, maybe we could be more judicious about the videos we post. I mean, how many (sponsored) videos of Genos do we have to watch just because YOU like it (that's just an example - don't go ballistic). We all know that if you are interested and independently look for one on YT, 20 more will pop up right behind it. So what's the point unless you've decided that you need to pre-screen them for us. Of course this is just MY point of view (rarely the popular one smile ). I certainly welcome opposing points of view.

chas (I come in peace smile )

#457469 - 09/04/18 01:10 PM Re: Why I liked SAM CA's demo so much [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

That all well and good Chas.....you can always don't click on the video...just sayin'....one man's garbage is another man's treasure comes to mind,...yes it was a nice demo glad you liked it... headphone and thanx for sharing you thoughts in peace or not.
At least you enjoyed Jennifer I assume? cool2 ..

But in regards to the rest of your post to dictate what anyone's likes, dislikes, or postings whatever on a public forum within the rules turns me totally off in a breach in freedom of expression kind of way sorry.

#457470 - 09/04/18 01:23 PM Re: Why I liked SAM CA's demo so much [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Loc: Forest Hill, MD USA
Ironically, the vast of the videos posted here are instructional, mainly in the form of demos of various arranger keyboards and associated, or allied gear used while performing on stage. So, in reality, there are very few videos posted on this forum of guys and gals just posting THEIR performances.

While I rarely post videos of anything, other than a couple sailing vids, others I have posted in the past have been pretty much instructional and related to arranger keyboards - setups, gear transportation, use of Music Finder Directory and registrations, etc...

Hope to see you soon, Chas. With luck, I'll be in Hilton Head Island sometime in late October. I'm buyin' smile

Gary cool

K+E=W (Knowledge Plus Experience = Wisdom.)

#457471 - 09/04/18 01:25 PM Re: Why I liked SAM CA's demo so much [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Hope to see you soon, Chas. With luck, I'll be in Hilton Head Island sometime in late October. I'm buyin' smile
Gary cool

take some pics and videos Gary...
would love to put a Face with the music etc,
....good sailing bro. wink

#457475 - 09/04/18 01:44 PM Re: Why I liked SAM CA's demo so much [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Gary, we used to own a lovely vacation home there but didn't want to rent it and didn't use it enough to justify the expense of keeping it. Sadly, I currently have a family situation that prohibits me from travelling, otherwise I'd be happy to meet you. I still have a few mini-mansion friends living on the island although most are only there in the summer months and holidays.

As to the videos, I was not referring to instructional videos (although these too are easy to find via Google or YT. But like I said, opposing opinions are good. Enjoy that trip but be careful, it IS still hurricane season and will be through most of November.

chas

#457485 - 09/04/18 04:46 PM Re: Why I liked SAM CA's demo so much [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

Thanks Chas, and I'm saddened that you will not be able to get away for a day or two.

As for hurricane season, this one has been pretty mile thus far, but after being caught in Sandy when I was making the same trip 5 years ago, it was one of the reasons I put off leaving here until about the second week in October. That was pretty scary. The wind at the top of my mast was howling at 70 MPH, while on deck it was less than 10 MPH. The boat was sheltered by the mangroves and excavation material that was dredged when the marine there was built.

Just saw one is on it's way to Mississippi right now, a category 1, with winds of 75 MPH and a 6 to 10-foot tidal surge predicted. Hopefully, the storm will fall apart before it makes landfall, but this time of year, with all that warm, gulf water, it just may get stronger. Might even head to DonM's neighborhood.

All the best,

Gary cool

#457487 - 09/04/18 04:54 PM Re: Why I liked SAM CA's demo so much [Re: travlin'easy]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By travlin'easy
Thanks Chas, and I'm saddened that you will not be able to get away for a day or two.

As for hurricane season, this one has been pretty mile thus far, but after being caught in Sandy when I was making the same trip 5 years ago, it was one of the reasons I put off leaving here until about the second week in October. That was pretty scary. The wind at the top of my mast was howling at 70 MPH, while on deck it was less than 10 MPH. The boat was sheltered by the mangroves and excavation material that was dredged when the marine there was built.

Just saw one is on it's way to Mississippi right now, a category 1, with winds of 75 MPH and a 6 to 10-foot tidal surge predicted. Hopefully, the storm will fall apart before it makes landfall, but this time of year, with all that warm, gulf water, it just may get stronger. Might even head to DonM's neighborhood.

All the best,

Gary cool

I hope isn't in the path of the hurricane!

#457488 - 09/04/18 04:59 PM Re: Why I liked SAM CA's demo so much [Re: cgiles]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Thank you Chas. I hope stuff I post would help somebody somewhere. My intention is definitely not to compete or shut down others or even change the tone of the whole forum when it comes to sharing music.

In general it would be VERY helpful, if the person who shares the recording be a little more specific...especially if the content is instrumental. It may not be necessary for those who've known each other for a long time, but new members may benefit from that little extra piece of information.

#457489 - 09/04/18 05:14 PM Re: Why I liked SAM CA's demo so much [Re: cgiles]
cgiles Offline

Gary's worst nightmare! It's pitch black dark and he's alone on the boat in the middle of a choppy sea. As Gary watches the hurricane approaching, suddenly the clouds part and an image of Al Gore appears wagging a finger and saying, "NOW do you believe me, sucka?". smile smile smile

True Story: I went out with a buddy of mine in Annapolis (he was an instructor at the Academy). What started out as a beautiful sailing day turned into a weather nightmare. We really thought we'd had it and started looking around for lifejackets but could only find one. My 'best bud' looks at me and says, "where's yours?". We made it okay but I didn't bother to keep in touch with him. I did manage to 'key' his car on the way off the base smile.

chas

#457490 - 09/04/18 05:59 PM Re: Why I liked SAM CA's demo so much [Re: cgiles]
travlin'easy Offline

I've been caught in dozens of bad storms in my lifetime, the worst Hurricane Hazel when I was a kid in the US Navy and aboard the USS Newport News in the North Atlantic as part of a presidential guard-ship fleet. 70-foot waves, crashing over the deck with enough force to rip the 3-inch 50 antiaircraft mount off the bow. That gun weighs a couple tons at the very least. We had live ammo bouncing down the deck for about 30 minutes after that until the waves washed the shells overboard. Thought I was gonna die that day.

This year has been a nasty year for sailing, with more rain and storms that I can ever recall. On my week-long trip last month I got caught in 4 horrendous thunderstorms, one of which had winds topping 70 MPH, and I was dead in the middle of Chesapeake Bay when it hit. The storm was moving at about 45 MPH from west to east and there was no way of taking shelter. I dropped the sails, lashed everything down, fired up the engine and pointed the bow into the approaching storm. At one point the boat was heeled nearly 30 degrees with no sails up and the waves were about 8 to 10 feet high. The boat did just fine, but I think the captain might have had some unexpected urinary problems. Couldn't tell, though because I was soaking wet from the driving rain that blew into the folds of my rain suit.

Gotta love Al Gore, though. He has made a bundle on the global warming BS, over $1-billion at last count. According to the predictions in his book, both Smith and Tangier Island in Chesapeake Bay should be under 10 feet of water by now - whoops. The sea level there is the same as it was 50 years ago. Tangier Island is eroding away, but not because of rising sea level, but because pollution and other factors have destroyed the fragile bay grasses, which held the land in place for centuries. Amazing how this stuff works.

All the best,

Gary cool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online