SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#45737 - 04/19/03 01:32 AM Old keyboard never die. . . .
Mike ORegan Offline

. . . they just fade from popularity as the new gizmos take over. The situation with keyboards was much simpler in the "old days" when there was a bigger gap between models. this is called the price of progress. Nowadays, you hardly have time to unpack your latest purchase when a new one is released! I am sure that the successor to the 7000 is already on the way. Where does this leave the poor "user"? I'll tell you where - you are left with a perfectly serviceable instrument which is losing its value by the minute. How many people have traded their tried and trusted machine for the latest one hoping that it will improve their playing, only to be disappointed and wish they had kept their old one?
Now to qualify my previous remarks about Techplus Magazine. I can see that they have a problem. Technics bring out keyboards almost yearly and the magazine has to keep up with the new developments. However, where does this leave owners of the KN 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000, 1200, 1500, 1600, etc? They feel left out in the cold as their instruments fade from popularity. If the magazine had just one page for each of the keyboards mentioned then much of it would be of little interest to owners of the latest ones. And that is just keyboards - what about organ owners who get short shrift compared with keyboard owners? One answer is to have a Group which is "one instrument specific", but this is only possible on the Internet. Those of you who are reading this obviously have a computer connection, but what of those without one? Discuss!! ;>)

#45738 - 04/19/03 02:27 AM Re: Old keyboard never die. . . .
Chuck Piper Offline

Loc: United Kingdom
Good Morning Mike,

As you know, I expressed my feelings regarding your critique of the current issue of the techplus magazine so I won't comment further in that regard.

You raise two issues in your new post: the perceived obsolescence of keyboards; and, the advantage those of us who are "connected" enjoy as opposed to those who are not in terms of our ability to get information about, and help with, our keyboards.

Obsolescence can be a state of mind. I still have my KN6000 and am happy with it. I don't feel it is old technology or out of date. The marketplace is changing constantly. Producers of everything from cars and keyboards to washing machines and electric coffee makers are just trying to keep pace with the demands of the consumer. It seems to me that there is a majority of people now who always want the latest and greatest. My youngest son is a good example. He is constantly upgrading his four computers with the latest sound and graphics cards, microprocessors etc. I am still running the computer he built for me more than four years ago. I don't feel my computer is obsolete anymore than I feel that way about my keyboard. I may eventually buy a KN7000, wait for the next generation from Technics, or keep my KN6000 for a few more years. My decision will not be made on keeping up with the latest technology, but rather on sound quality and features I need to create MY music.

You are quite right in observing that folks like me are left by the wayside by publishers as new keyboards hit the market. Magazine publishers cannot continue to include "how to" articles indefinitely on previous generations of keyboards. If they did, their magazine would quickly become a thick book and no longer viable or affordable. Again, it is a reflection of the marketplace.

Those of us who are "connected" are in an enviable position. We can post a request for an answer to a problem on a forum like this and someone somewhere will answer, and the model or age of our keyboard is immaterial.

You raised the question, ". . . but what about those without one?, meaning those without a computer. How do they get the information they need? Through organ/keyboard clubs perhaps, or friends and family. Maybe you should consider whether there is a market for a magazine that caters to earlier generation Technics keyboards since you have a background in the business.

Finally, it seems to me that it is impossible to meet the needs of all the people all of the time. Someone is going to be left out or left behind. People without computers are left out, and those of us who do not buy the latest flagship keyboard are left behind. That is the real world. I doubt there is anything we can do to change it.

Chuck

#45739 - 04/19/03 07:42 AM Re: Old keyboard never die. . . .
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Chuck,
Your reply " I don't feel my computer is obsolete anymore than I feel that way about my keyboard."
I'm not sure if you would say that if you actually owned the latest computer and keyboard(7000).

SeeYa, Happy Easter
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45740 - 04/19/03 09:25 AM Re: Old keyboard never die. . . .
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Larry,

Thanks for the Easter greetings my friend. I wish you and your family a Happy Easter as well.

Just read your post. I hear where you are coming from as regards obsolescence, Larry, and it is likely many, if not most, people would hold that point of view. I tend to determine whether my equipment is obsolete or not by asking myself if it can still do everything I ask of it rather than comparing it to the latest gear on the shelf. For example, my computer is running at 400 MHz in an age when speeds are above 2 GHz. If I bought a 2.8 GHz machine, the difference in speed would not be noticeable in any of the work I do. My son is running above 2.0 GHz on all of his machines and there is no obvious difference as I sit at his computers doing a task I normally perform. The one difference I see in his machines is in the graphics area because he is using high end graphics cards along with a high speed microprocessor. But that isn't important to me.

The logic I apply to my computer is applied equally to my keyboard. My KN6000 does everything I ask of it AND MORE! I'm still learning how to use many of its features. I've seen and listened to the KN7000 and it is indeed a wonderful instrument. I especially like the improved speaker system and the much improved organ section. But until my needs fail to be met by the KN6000, I'll keep it. Who knows? Maybe one day I will buy a KN7000. But then I may just wait for the next generation flagship KN. We'll see.

Happy Playing, Larry!

Chuck

#45741 - 04/19/03 10:05 AM Re: Old keyboard never die. . . .
Walt Meyer Offline

Loc: Silver City, NM USA
Mike & Chuck,
I can understand where everyone who has posted on this and the related past post is coming from. I believe that all have made relevant points to consider, however, Mike, you were quite negative and critical to the point of raising some "hackles" of some of the readers. I guess this is both good and bad, and it does stir some to comment on the subject.

I purchased my KN7000 last fall mostly for only a couple of reasons. I was very happy with my KN2000, as was my audiences. I always use an external sound system so the improved speaker system was of secondary importance. What was important was the SD Card because of the nuisance and slow operation of the floppy drive, especially during a live gig. This was my driving reason.

Secondly, I had learned how to copy sequencer/midi files to the Kn2000 composer in order to generate new styles (something that Technics said absolutely could not be done!), but the process was very tedious and complicated. With the 7000 it is a piece of cake.
Of course, the fact that all of the newer styles, files, ETC. would not work on the KN2000 (planned obsolescence?, or not practical to provide backwards compatibility?) was another factor.
Anyway, I'm glad that I did upgrade because I have since discovered many more features that I now wonder how I ever did without.
Just my thoughts.
Regards,
Walt

#45742 - 04/19/03 10:17 AM Re: Old keyboard never die. . . .
Chuck Piper Offline

Good thoughts, Walt.

Chuck

#45743 - 04/19/03 12:17 PM Re: Old keyboard never die. . . .
lahawk Offline

Loc: Lehigh Valley, Pa.
Hey Chuck good points you made..I guess if your happy with what you have then stick with it....however eventually everything becomes obsolete.

There is a whole list of products that at one time we were all happy with. Looking back at these relics( 8 track tapes, 386 Intel computers, the KN550, etc. etc.)compared to today innovation, it's probably better to have the latest.

The hardest part is making the decesion to "Upgrade". Sometimes you become so accostomed with a product that it's tough to give up on it. I know when I purchaced a new computer and went from Win98 to XP, I was dissapointed at first, however after now having it for over a year, and then just recently helping my brother with crashes on his WIN98 computer, I know what a far superior product the newer version is.

Sooner or later we all upgrade, it's just a matter of when your ready.
In accordance...
Here is a link for obsolete musical products called "120 Years of Electronic Music" http://www.obsolete.com/120_years/

SeeYa,
Larry Hawk

Hawk Music
Sadly No More frown

♫ 🎹🎹 ♫ SX-900

#45744 - 04/19/03 01:44 PM Re: Old keyboard never die. . . .
Chuck Piper Offline

Hi Again Larry,

You are right, of course, that at some point in time my KN6000 and computer WILL become obsolete. Thanks for sharing the web address with me. I'll bet not many of our forum members have heard a Theramin. I saw it listed on the site. It had a really nice tone and I heard it played on several occasions in my church as a young boy by a man who was an expert with the instrument. I did not know it was invented by a Russian. I also noticed the ARP synthesizers are not listed. I wonder why?

Who knows, Larry? Maybe by the end of this year I will decide to buy a KN7000. Gotta run. Take care.

Chuck

#45745 - 04/19/03 02:58 PM Re: Old keyboard never die. . . .
technicsplayer Offline

I think the Theramin was first brought to widespread prominence in the West by Alfred Hitchcock in the soundtrack to Spellbound in the 1940s, when he wanted a sound to represent mental turmoil. It was then used in about every B science fiction movie of the 50s to represent the aliens... and even survived into the 60s on some pop records. The concept has been tried many times with varying technologies and success, the latest copy of the control idea maybe the D beam on Rolands.

#45746 - 04/19/03 03:00 PM Re: Old keyboard never die. . . .
Chuck Piper Offline

Thanks, Alec. Interesting background. I wasn't aware Theramins were so widely used.

Chuck

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin 

Help keep Synth Zone Online