So I stopped studying jazz piano. Actually I burned out again and stopped playing altogether for about a month up to these last few days. What charged me up again was a few piano pieces that I really enjoy playing...Too Beautiful To Last/ The Dream of Olwen /Nocturne #9 by Chopin / Ballade Pour Adeline (to learn yet).

And.......arpeggio's played on an acoustic piano. There is nothing more beautiful than hearing one string hammering over another right up and down the keyboard.

And from there I went to Gypsy Jazz after watching a few recordings of this group:

But......then I listened to Django play and I suddenly had my doubts about studying Gypsy at this age. Then.....I came across a recording I did about 15 years ago. I had met a Gypsy Jazz guitarist who introduced me to his band. For about a week that's all we did. Then I dropped out of the scene but not before I diddled around with a recorder on I Can't Give You Anything But Love.

The playing is "rough" but that's OK because it reminded me I might be halfway there already if I could play GJ like that after only a week.

The attached recording was done thus....I downloaded a "guitar strum" for the song and just played along with it while the recorder was on. The accordion is an accordion and not the PA3x.

I really love Gypsy...it's similar to French Musette which I already play a lot of.

I'm going to give this a shot and see how far I get with it. Maybe it'll stir up the juices again?

Attachments
I Can't Give You Anything But Love - two versions - gypsy jazz.mp3 (14 downloads)