SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#457271 - 09/01/18 09:59 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
For me, phrasing is the most important aspect of singing. I think she missed the mark. Maybe emotions came into play, but I just don't like when singers cut words in half between breaths.

#457274 - 09/01/18 10:42 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Sorry Donny... I thought it was terrible.. smile

She screamed her way to the point I had to stop listening. frown

Very unmusical..

Hudson has not lived up to the hype... TV made... and the weight loss was also used to push her along..

I have heard so many great versions of amazing grace over the years.. from many of my personal friends.. and by contrast this video takes away from a great hymn..

#457280 - 09/01/18 11:51 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Gosh Fran, it's hard to criticize someone for losing excess weight; what difference does it make what it was used for. Also, I don't think many people would deny that she has incredible pipes. I think Dave can fairly say that he doesn't like the way she did this particular song (and he was very specific about why), but to say she doesn't live up to the hype??? After a Grammy, an Oscar, command performances for presidents, numerous musical awards, and millions of records sold, what 'hype' does she have to live up to (for you)? I'm sure YOU'VE done some things that YOU thought were 'smokin' but that left others uh, cold. Sure, (rating) music is subjective BUT there are still some standards for 'good' and 'bad'. NOBODY is ever going to say that William Hung is 'good', not even his momma smile.

In this particular case, I mostly agree with Dave, but that has a lot to do with the song, which I consider kind of 'sacred'...IOW, not to be tinkered with too much, sorta' like The Star Spangled Banner. I'll give her a pass this time because I am so aware of her enormous talent and because I think real emotion played a huge part in her performance.

chas

#457282 - 09/01/18 12:29 PM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Chas, most of my response was to her performance of amazing grace..

Of course she has talent, but also had every opportunity to succeed. And they did use her celebrity as a weight loss success story via advertising.

There were a lot of American Idol "stars" that were overrated because of TV exposure..

Rachelle could have topped that performance grin

BTW: I seen both Dave and Donny lose a hundred pounds... it didn't help their stardom shocked

I lost a hundred pounds in high school... she was one of my favorite girlfriends grin

#457284 - 09/01/18 12:57 PM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By Fran Carango
Sorry Donny... I thought it was terrible.. smile

She screamed her way to the point I had to stop listening. frown

Very unmusical..

Hudson has not lived up to the hype... TV made... and the weight loss was also used to push her along..

I have heard so many great versions of amazing grace over the years.. from many of my personal friends.. and by contrast this video takes away from a great hymn..

Ouch.... confused1

#457286 - 09/01/18 01:13 PM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA

Of course she has talent, but also had every opportunity to succeed.

Given who she is, what she is, and where she grew up, I could write a 100 page rebuttal to that. I guess things just APPEAR easy for those who have succeeded against all odds.

There were a lot of American Idol "stars" that were overrated because of TV exposure..

Yeah, but she ain't one of them. Why is it so hard to give someone like Jennifer the credit she deserves.

Rachelle could have topped that performance grin

Russ is going to KILL you smile smile.

I lost a hundred pounds in high school... she was one of my favorite girlfriends grin

Wow, looks like she dodged a bullet smile smile.

Your BFF smile

chas

#457288 - 09/01/18 01:20 PM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: cgiles]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
There are MANY people who are "given every opportunity to succeed", but then are unwilling or unable to put in the work it takes to actually BECOME a success ... Jennifer Hudson has obviously put in the work - more power to her ...
'nuff said ...

#457303 - 09/01/18 11:13 PM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Fran Carango]
Mark79100 Offline

Loc: USA
I thought it was terrible.. smile

She screamed her way to the point I had to stop listening.

Me too!! But not before I suffered severe brain damage. That's not singing...that's what it sounds like when you have constipation!

#457314 - 09/02/18 05:26 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
Dave: You are so 100% correct about "phrasing" and it's importance. (The greatest chink in my musical armor... and it often leaves me strewn about the battlefield in disarray.)

I also appreciated your "take" on Ms. Hudson's performance. Then there was the young lady who failed to dress properly for the funeral... and then had to perform in front of Slick Willie and the Right Reverend Jackson... as they leered with delight and compared notes behind her. Aretha deserved better.

#457318 - 09/02/18 06:29 AM Re: Mesmerized ... [Re: Riceroni9]
Dnj Offline

Aside from all the negative replies...
I think Aretha was looking down from heaven with a big smile on her face listening to Jennifer perform this song.

Edited by Dnj (09/02/18 06:31 AM)

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online