SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#456973 - 08/27/18 10:04 AM Re: Honest critique or just stay silent - which? [Re: travlin'easy]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
If we hold ourselves to a higher standard here individually and collectively than other forums, I don't see that as negative. I myself have no need to judge others on skill levels, and we can't forget we should we!come all levels.Keep in mind when posting publicly, some just want to share without looking for a response, some solicit help through asking for comments, and some just want to show off..
That said the opinions of others is important here, and once you put it out there it becomes fair game. I often solicit critiques privately. We do have a mechanism here to communicate that way and perhaps that is the best way to convey a helpful criticism. We don't need any "Simon Cowell"s here to provide embarrassment and drama, do we?
And if you perform publicly, the audience and the one who signs the check are the only ones you have to impress..

Edited by sparky589 (08/27/18 10:23 AM)

#456976 - 08/27/18 10:14 AM Re: Honest critique or just stay silent - which? [Re: sparky589]
Dnj Offline

All I am saying is for example if you listen to someones posted work, demo or whatever,.....yes it's out there for gentlemanly criticism but in addition you should at least have the common courtesy to also included with your post provide a sound or video demo of you playing what your talking about to back up your statement to show the original poster so he can benefit from what your actually saying buy listening and /or seeing it done....is that too much to ask?......either it be ....more EQ, timing, using a different sound or style, off key vocals, etc, etc. ...that's what really helps others not blind behind the screen unqualified pros or cons which help no one... think I had too much coffee today ... eek2

PS,....and another thing I dislike is when someone always lead off the post before a demo they have recorded with negativity .. instead of being positive and proud of what they have done....
otherwise why share it?

"here you go with all the mistakes included"......
"just one take, Live"
...bla bla bla

Edited by Dnj (08/27/18 10:21 AM)

#456982 - 08/27/18 10:47 AM Re: Honest critique or just stay silent - which? [Re: cgiles]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
I recently posted a song I recorded and got mostly constructive criticism. Nothing mean spirited, actually all of it was well thought out. I am reflecting on what members told me and trying to improve. I really appreciate anyone taking the time to listen to my work in this day and age where it seems everyone is trying to get their music heard.

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#456986 - 08/27/18 10:54 AM Re: Honest critique or just stay silent - which? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
""here you go with all the mistakes included"......
"just one take, Live"...bla bla bla"
Guilty as charged. smile

#456989 - 08/27/18 10:56 AM Re: Honest critique or just stay silent - which? [Re: Dnj]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
Originally Posted By Dnj
....and another thing I dislike is when someone always lead off the post before a demo they have recorded with negativity .. instead of being positive and proud of what they have done....
otherwise why share it?

"just one take, Live"
...bla bla bla

I agree Donny, but we all know that's just a way of someone trying to get ahead of (and ward off) any possible negative criticism. Human nature.

chas

#456992 - 08/27/18 11:24 AM Re: Honest critique or just stay silent - which? [Re: cgiles]
Dnj Offline

Originally Posted By cgiles
Originally Posted By Dnj
....and another thing I dislike is when someone always lead off the post before a demo they have recorded with negativity .. instead of being positive and proud of what they have done....
otherwise why share it?

"just one take, Live"
...bla bla bla

I agree Donny, but we all know that's just a way of someone trying to get ahead of (and ward off) any possible negative criticism. Human nature.

chas

Don & Chas agreed BUT,....The music is the music and you can see right thru it no need for the Preamble defense mechanism
...just post your work and DUCK coffee

Edited by Dnj (08/27/18 11:25 AM)

#456998 - 08/27/18 12:19 PM Re: Honest critique or just stay silent - which? [Re: cgiles]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
I think it is important to say whether it was multi-tracked, a midi file, an MP3, or just recorded on the fly. If you don't want to know, don't read that part! smile

#456999 - 08/27/18 12:28 PM Re: Honest critique or just stay silent - which? [Re: cgiles]
btweengigs Offline

Loc: Florida, USA
Opinions are like pot holes. Every street has one.....or something like that.

Personally, I look forward to all musical submissions and many have motivated me to learn the songs which I have since added to my performing repertoire. I think the first was "The Nearness of You". Several here submitted their renditions. All had positive points. I worked up my version and use it fairly often on gigs. There have been submissions of songs I already do and I may like the style they used better than mine, or the tempo, pads, or style edits, etc.

There have been many other submissions that I have worked on. The latest came from Donny's posting of "Driving My Life Away". I loved it. Okay, so it wasn't a SZ member but a demonstration of good use of the Genos. It grabbed me. The chords are simple enough, but I am still struggling with the fast paced lyrics....it WILL eventually end up in my play list.

As for recording myself....I tried it years ago and found it to be a hassle, too time consuming and I was my own worst critic. I'm happy to play for and with anyone here that wants to sponsor a jam like the ones Gary's and DonM had. I learned a lot there and made some long term friends in the process. I don't know if any of my material would have passed SZ critics, but no one threw anything at me.

Eddie

#457000 - 08/27/18 12:40 PM Re: Honest critique or just stay silent - which? [Re: cgiles]
Riceroni9 Offline

Loc: TX, USA
It isn't so much "What you say" (or write)... It's the way you say it! Constructive criticism coupled with anything nice you can point out usually works with most performers, artists, composers and song-writers. But be cautioned... there are those that will "go ballistic on you" if it isn't all "sweetness and light." LOL!

IMHO... a really bad review should be shared only with the person who posted the song or work... in private.

I suspect most of you remember the "way it was" when you took that first step. It takes a bit of courage or even bravado to perform... and I am the equivalent of the "Cowardly Lion" when it comes to actually singing in public. That does not keep me from admiring those of you who do perform... and do it with such style and grace.

----Dave Rice

#457006 - 08/27/18 01:02 PM Re: Honest critique or just stay silent - which? [Re: cgiles]
ekurburski Offline

Loc: Mountain Home, AR
Years ago I was working a full time gig in Ocean City, Md. when a acquaintance commented that it really bugged him that I was working steady when he knew musicians walking the streets of Baltimore, Phily and New York that could play circles around me. When I first started out I had several people tell me I should just play & not sing because I couldn't sing worth crap. It bothered me cause like most musicians I have an ego. The more I thought about it though the more I came to realize that in my case it wasn't how great a musician I was, it was the fact that I played the songs the folks wanted to hear. In time I got better equipment and worked on a better sound.

However, all of that being said, I'm not going to submit a tune with single note melody and basic style background. It seems that a great deal of the stuff posted is really rather mediocre and the performer would be best served by practicing on some advanced skills.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online