SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#457002 - 08/27/18 12:52 PM Better alternatives to Roland VP-7
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
Ok, so this is one of the most important gears in my studio that I can't live without:

https://www.roland.com/us/products/vp-7/

It's a wonderful vocal processor...but Roland discontinued the concept sadly.

I direct and write choral arrangements for local Choirs. There are always some excellent singers who can't read scores but have good ears. I learned that if I send them a backing track ahead of time, they come prepared and I can use that precious rehearsal time to work on voicing, dynamic, style...etc ...and not teaching people their part.

The catch is I CAN NOT sing! Even if I had a voice, I still couldn't sing all 4 or 5 parts anyway...and it would be too much work. The VP7 is just a life saver in this particular case.

I simply export the score as midi and import it in Pro Tools. Each vocal part is on a separate track of course. I send each to VP 7, sing or even talk the lyrics into the mic and VP7 generates audio using the lyrics and dynamic of my voice. It doesn't care if I talk or even sing the wrong note...because it gets the pitch from the midi file. I repeat this for each part and within minutes I have multiple backing tracks ready to be e-mailed.

Roland uses onboard vocal presets. I turn the vocal balance all the way so there's no trace of my own voice. Certain sounds such as 'Sh', 'Kh' and such don't come out well, so I always attach a pdf for people to see the lyrics.

Obviously Roland dropped this product. I was wondering if there are any new developments in this area by other companies?

Edited by SAM CA (08/27/18 12:56 PM)

#457004 - 08/27/18 12:58 PM Re: Better alternatives to Roland VP-7 [Re: SAM CA]
Dnj Offline

Look at TC Helicon products .....link below

TC HELICON

Edited by Dnj (08/27/18 01:03 PM)

#457005 - 08/27/18 01:01 PM Re: Better alternatives to Roland VP-7 [Re: SAM CA]
SAM CA Offline

Loc: Los Angeles
TC Helicon has great products. I was wondering if anybody else has used a vocal processor this way.

Edited by SAM CA (08/27/18 01:01 PM)

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online