SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#456534 - 08/19/18 11:57 AM My favorite place to play ...
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
... has the WORST sound of any room I've ever worked. It's a NJ shore staple called the Crab Trap, and the acoustics are horrendous, the stage is ill-placed, the crowd noise is almost unacceptable, (even with NO music playing) but I consistently get the most compliments, and very generous tips from this venue.

WHY?

Maybe because it's a vacation destination, and people are already in a good mood when they get there ... (in spite of the 90-120 minute wait time for a table)
Maybe it's because the staff is so friendly to me that my mood is elevated, so a better performance results ...
Maybe there's no particular reason, but just the same - it's the best spot I've ever worked. There are time when the manager who hired me will stop what he's doing, take a seat near the dance floor, and just listen to a song he likes .... then smile, clap, and resume his duties. It's very soul strengthening to receive an accolade from your management, and staff who listen to you night, after night. Makes you feel good. Maybe THAT'S the reason why I like it so much.

I've always viewed my performance more as a conversation, than a lecture. I love the parlay between the audience and myself, and without it ... I tend to go a bit stale. I thrive on the feedback. (It's the Michael Scott in me, for "The Office" fans)
Regardless of money, gear, or song selection, my priority is always the end result - client satisfaction. I won't do this job if the crowd doesn't like the result. It's too hard. It leaves your soul open to scrutiny with each song you play. The constant set up, and tear down becomes a chore. Load-ins/outs are typically cumbersome ... especially in the nicer places. ("... Hey, take that gear around back, and through the kitchen. Use the freight elevator, in the alley!") Staying fresh, and current, while keeping true to your own strengths is an ongoing labor. All these things combine to keep you (me) in a lifestyle that few share. At least, few in MY family. My 87 year old Mom is STILL giving me career advice, and telling me about new job opportunities.
GEEZE, Mom ... I'm almost 64!!

A calling to the arts is a death sentence to a social life, IF you don't love your life on stage. I've answered the call, and dedicated my energy to become the best in my very small pond of musical fish. I've done other jobs, but they were always a sideline to my primary "gig;" music. As I approach retirement age, I'm reminded of the life choices that many make when they quit their day jobs ... and none of the activities appeal to me. I don't golf, or fish. I hate gardening, or being in the sun too long. There is simply no other way I'd rather spend my time than in the creation of music. This, of course, is the time when I am not with my kids, grand children, or many cousins, and family. There's nothing that can replace that bond.

I'm content to grow old. I'm fine with living alone. I don't need a boat, or a second home. I just wish (secretly) that the Crab Trap could somehow improve the acoustics of that wonderful, noisy room that serves as my home for 4 hours a night, twice a week, every summer. Where is that wishing star?

Attachments
stars-2.jpg

#456541 - 08/19/18 12:38 PM Re: My favorite place to play ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bachus Offline

My favorite place to play....

At my age, i stick to our bedroom...

http://keyszone.boards.net

#456546 - 08/19/18 01:01 PM Re: My favorite place to play ... [Re: Bachus]
Dnj Offline

Dave stop complaining at least your working cool2 .....
many are not enjoy it while it lasts and have a good time...
yes that room is loud but I heard you nice and clear many times there.
This is the path in life we've chosen make it fun.

keys

#456552 - 08/19/18 02:06 PM Re: My favorite place to play ... [Re: Bachus]
Gunnar Jonny Offline

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By Bachus

At my age the bedroom are strictly for sleeping, not playing ... laugh2
"Success is not counted by how high you have climbed
but by how many you brought with you." (Wil Rose)

#456554 - 08/19/18 03:48 PM Re: My favorite place to play ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By Uncle Dave
... has the WORST sound of any room I've ever worked. It's a NJ shore staple called the Crab Trap, and the acoustics are horrendous, the stage is ill-placed, the crowd noise is almost unacceptable, (even with NO music playing) but I consistently get the most compliments, and very generous tips from this venue.

WHY?

Maybe because it's a vacation destination, and people are already in a good mood when they get there ... (in spite of the 90-120 minute wait time for a table)
Maybe it's because the staff is so friendly to me that my mood is elevated, so a better performance results ...
Maybe there's no particular reason, but just the same - it's the best spot I've ever worked. There are time when the manager who hired me will stop what he's doing, take a seat near the dance floor, and just listen to a song he likes .... then smile, clap, and resume his duties. It's very soul strengthening to receive an accolade from your management, and staff who listen to you night, after night. Makes you feel good. Maybe THAT'S the reason why I like it so much.

I've always viewed my performance more as a conversation, than a lecture. I love the parlay between the audience and myself, and without it ... I tend to go a bit stale. I thrive on the feedback. (It's the Michael Scott in me, for "The Office" fans)
Regardless of money, gear, or song selection, my priority is always the end result - client satisfaction. I won't do this job if the crowd doesn't like the result. It's too hard. It leaves your soul open to scrutiny with each song you play. The constant set up, and tear down becomes a chore. Load-ins/outs are typically cumbersome ... especially in the nicer places. ("... Hey, take that gear around back, and through the kitchen. Use the freight elevator, in the alley!") Staying fresh, and current, while keeping true to your own strengths is an ongoing labor. All these things combine to keep you (me) in a lifestyle that few share. At least, few in MY family. My 87 year old Mom is STILL giving me career advice, and telling me about new job opportunities.
GEEZE, Mom ... I'm almost 64!!

A calling to the arts is a death sentence to a social life, IF you don't love your life on stage. I've answered the call, and dedicated my energy to become the best in my very small pond of musical fish. I've done other jobs, but they were always a sideline to my primary "gig;" music. As I approach retirement age, I'm reminded of the life choices that many make when they quit their day jobs ... and none of the activities appeal to me. I don't golf, or fish. I hate gardening, or being in the sun too long. There is simply no other way I'd rather spend my time than in the creation of music. This, of course, is the time when I am not with my kids, grand children, or many cousins, and family. There's nothing that can replace that bond.

I'm content to grow old. I'm fine with living alone. I don't need a boat, or a second home. I just wish (secretly) that the Crab Trap could somehow improve the acoustics of that wonderful, noisy room that serves as my home for 4 hours a night, twice a week, every summer. Where is that wishing star?

That's right...rub it in!! grin
I also miss my favorite spot (The Crab Trap).. since I left the band and our 3 months a year booking there..

What makes it great starts with "Kim" the hottest bartender in NJ..

Greatest customers ..regulars and vacationers..

Best prime rib... anywhere, (my weakness)..

and the most beautiful lady I know (don't tell my wife) "Carrie Lee". blush

Dave , I envy you that you have the Monday, Tuesday spot.. Of course the dancers are probably still Wed and Fri nights..

I think "Just in Time " is there in Sept.. sharing stage with you a couple weeks..

Carrie and I at the Crab Trap.

Attachments
fran.jpg

Edited by Fran Carango (08/19/18 03:59 PM)

#456555 - 08/19/18 04:02 PM Re: My favorite place to play ... [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

not only Great Music at the Crab Trap with Uncle Dave
rockin' the Jersey Shore cool2
They have awesome Lobsters Dinners too!!!

keys

Attachments
20170911_181345.jpg

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Dnj (08/19/18 04:03 PM)

#456556 - 08/19/18 04:03 PM Re: My favorite place to play ... [Re: Uncle Dave]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
How many places think of acoustics , or stages, or lighting or or anything when they open. Music is almost always an afterthought. Just stick em in a corner. One place where I've played piano a few times actually redid their dining room to deaden the sound. Sea Pines CC on hilton Head has the $$$ and membership to do it, most others just don't care. And your correct , the nicer the place usually the harder the load in/out and many time the worse you are treated.
Be very happy your still doing it at your age and the staff treats you nice. How many older solo performers do you see out there ?
Do they turn off the televisions ? That would be enough for me.

#456557 - 08/19/18 04:05 PM Re: My favorite place to play ... [Re: Fran Carango]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Originally Posted By Fran Carango
[quote=Uncle Dave]... has the WORST sound of any room I've ever worked. It's a NJ shore staple called the Crab Trap, and the acoustics are horrendous, the stage is ill-placed, the crowd noise is almost unacceptable, (even with NO music playing) but I consistently get the most compliments, and very generous tips from this venue.

WHY?

Regardless of money, gear, or song selection, my priority is always the end result -
That's right...rub it in!! grin
I also miss my favorite spot (The Crab Trap).. since I left the band and our 3 months a year booking there..

What makes it great starts with "Kim" the hottest bartender in NJ..

Greatest customers ..regulars and vacationers..

Best prime rib... anywhere, (my weakness)..

and the most beautiful lady I know (don't tell my wife) "Carrie Lee". blush

Dave , I envy you that you have the Monday, Tuesday spot.. Of course the dancers are probably still Wed and Fri nights..

I think "Just in Time " is there in Sept.. sharing stage with you a couple weeks..

Carrie and I at the Crab Trap.

Fran
that look on your face says a lot LOL !

#456559 - 08/19/18 04:20 PM Re: My favorite place to play ... [Re: Bill Lewis]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Bill, don't give your wife Sue , the wrong idea.. grin

#456561 - 08/19/18 04:46 PM Re: My favorite place to play ... [Re: Gunnar Jonny]
zuki Offline

Originally Posted By Gunnar Jonny
Originally Posted By Bachus

At my age the bedroom are strictly for sleeping, not playing ... laugh2

😄😄😄

Studio: Korg PA4X/Yamaha DGX670/Boss BR900CD/Tascam DP24SD/MTM Iloud/Sony C80/AGK 214/K&M stand

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online