SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Topic Options
#456235 - 08/15/18 11:49 PM BK-5 compatibility with older styles/other series
nckhrs Offline

Loc: CA, USA
Hi,

I have been searching, my understanding is that only Roland E-A7 is compatible with older Roland styles or from other Roland series.

Does somebody know if BK-5 is also compatible with older styles? How about with other Roland series?

Thank you so much.
'For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere' (Psalm 84:10, ESV)

Past: Roland (E-10, E-16, E-38), Korg i30s.
Current: Roland BK-5, Kurzweil MicroPiano.

#456237 - 08/16/18 12:01 AM Re: BK-5 compatibility with older styles/other series [Re: nckhrs]
nckhrs Offline

Oppss.... sorry, I just saw that it comes with a software Style Converter 4 in the CD.

Does anybody know if this software can convert any styles to BK-5? What's the limitation?

Thank you so much.
'For a day in your courts is better than a thousand elsewhere' (Psalm 84:10, ESV)

#456274 - 08/16/18 11:45 AM Re: BK-5 compatibility with older styles/other series [Re: nckhrs]
TedS Offline

Loc: North Texas, USA
Yes, the BK-5 (and the BK-7m, and the BK-9) will play older Roland styles. The intent of the Style Converter software is to create styles on your PC by repackaging MIDI files into the Roland-prescribed format.

Since most styles from other brands' keyboards are already MIDI files, if you're really good with MIDI and you understand how the style data is packaged, it would be THEORETICALLY possible to convert another brand's style or MIDI file to a Roland-compatible style.

However, I know that the Style Converter software (at least version 3) lacked the ability to add certain proprietary control features to the style. For example, events like Alteration Mode messages would need to be inserted using the Rhythm Composer function on the BK-5 itself, or another late-model Roland arranger.

I hope Nigel doesn't mind me mentioning another forum, but you might be able to get more brand-specific information at:
HTTP:\\www.roland-arranger.com

Edited by TedS (08/16/18 11:45 AM)

#456281 - 08/16/18 03:41 PM Re: BK-5 compatibility with older styles/other series [Re: TedS]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
Yes, the BK-5 (and the BK-7m, and the BK-9) will play older Roland styles. The intent of the Style Converter software is to create styles on your PC by repackaging MIDI files into the Roland-prescribed format.

Since most styles from other brands' keyboards are already MIDI files, if you're really good with MIDI and you understand how the style data is packaged, it would be THEORETICALLY possible to convert another brand's style or MIDI file to a Roland-compatible style.

However, I know that the Style Converter software (at least version 3) lacked the ability to add certain proprietary control features to the style. For example, events like Alteration Mode messages would need to be inserted using the Rhythm Composer function on the BK-5 itself, or another late-model Roland arranger.

I hope Nigel doesn't mind me mentioning another forum, but you might be able to get more brand-specific information at:
HTTP:\\www.roland-arranger.com

Thanks a lot Ted! smile

I have 2 questions:

1. I assume there is no intermediary step for BK-5 to support those older styles. I mean, I can load those styles (STL files) in to the USB drive and BK-5 should just take them. Is that right?

2. Is the Style Converter software intended to convert Roland styles only, in MIDI format? I thought Roland style is in STL format.

Thank you so much.

#456387 - 08/17/18 05:02 PM Re: BK-5 compatibility with older styles/other series [Re: nckhrs]
TedS Offline

My answers:
1. No intermediary step. Just load the old style and it should play.
2. The Style Converter software fills in a "template" which packages MIDI data so that your keyboard will understand it as a style (with fills and variations directly accessible using the buttons, etc.)
The idea isn't to convert older styles or other brands' styles (although you might be able to do that.) I think the idea was to convert MIDI song data to a style. It isn't well-developed or especially useful, IMO. My $.02, you might get more opinions / feedback on the other site i mentioned.

#456594 - 08/20/18 11:32 AM Re: BK-5 compatibility with older styles/other series [Re: TedS]
nckhrs Offline

Originally Posted By TedS
My answers:
1. No intermediary step. Just load the old style and it should play.
2. The Style Converter software fills in a "template" which packages MIDI data so that your keyboard will understand it as a style (with fills and variations directly accessible using the buttons, etc.)
The idea isn't to convert older styles or other brands' styles (although you might be able to do that.) I think the idea was to convert MIDI song data to a style. It isn't well-developed or especially useful, IMO. My $.02, you might get more opinions / feedback on the other site i mentioned.

Thanks a lot Ted. I can play the styles directly from the USB drive. Btw, does BK-5 have internal storage to store additional styles?

I found the USB drive got hot after a while (typical problem with Sandisk USB drive with metal case), that's why I was thinking, it would be great if I can copy them over to the keyboard.

Edited by nckhrs (08/20/18 11:32 AM)

#456636 - 08/21/18 11:45 AM Re: BK-5 compatibility with older styles/other series [Re: nckhrs]
TedS Offline

I don't believe any of the BK's have an on-board area for user styles. But don't rely on my memory- you should definitely consult the manual on this point.

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online