SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#456472 - 08/18/18 02:00 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
cgiles Offline

Loc: Roswell,GA/USA
The SEVEN, yes. Still madly in love with the tones (simply unmatched by anything I've heard, including a real Rhodes and a real DX7). The effects (tremolo, 'verb, chorus, phaser, flanger, delay, EQ, A-WHA, P-WHA) are all superb and 'tweakability' is quick, easy, and fairly intuitive. Still, probably better to set up your go-to patches and save them to pre-sets for 'live' playing.

WHAT I DON'T LIKE:

Keybed - somewhat stiff and a little 'clunky', very much like a real NEW Rhodes. You HAVE to approach it as a RHODES and NOT as an acoustic piano in terms of playing technique (since I know you're familiar with both, I know you know what I mean).

Colored knobs - you sort of get used to them but not my first choice for 'live' control. Also, the way pre-sets are selected is awkward and would be a nightmare for 'live' playing.

Master Voluime - Sloooooowwww. You probably have to turn the knob 5-6 revolutions before you hear a change in volume. NOT GOOD.

Weight - Yeah, that baby is HEAVY. Not a problem for me 'cause it just sits in my studio---but if I had to gig it....YIKES!

Appearance - This is just nit-picky (and also subjective). It looks just fine everwhere (except your living room smile ). But this was never intended as a piece of furniture, and as a gig 'board, it's kind of sexy. Again, in the studio, who cares.

Overall - I love the thing and would NEVER get rid of it. It is to the Rhodes what a TOTL clonewheel is to a Real B3. Lighter, sounds great, never out of tune, and (routine) maintenance free. What I really like though, is that, unlike a piano (unless you're a great pianist), you and a good singer could cover a lounge-type gig with no other instruments. All you need is good taste and a good knowledge of chords. If you're ever down this way, you should stop by and try it, I've got a feeling you'd really like it.

chas

#456476 - 08/18/18 03:14 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: tony mads usa]
Fran Carango Offline

Loc: Levittown, Pa, USA
Originally Posted By tony mads usa
Originally Posted By Fran Carango

My final relic is my 54 year old accordion and Sano stereo amp.. cool

I have those also ... But the accordion is also a Sano ...
I know I used a different cable for stereo - more like an xlr - but in those days never even wondered how the 'stereo' worked ... perhaps you could enlighten me, Fran ...

Tony my Sano amp is a 15" and an 8".. In stereophonic mode (yes a 4 prong XLR) It splits the pickups to the 15" and 8" speakers and uses some pick up magic.. smile

My accordion is a custom made (Bachalachio ??). amplified in Sano factory match to the Sano amp..

Attachments
DSCF3218.JPG

#456477 - 08/18/18 04:13 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
sparky589 Offline

Loc: NJ
Didn't those Sano amps weigh a ton?

#456478 - 08/18/18 04:30 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
jingleman Offline

Loc: The Villages, FL, USA
Fran...I remember Vangelis had an E-80 listed on buy and sell for $500. I almost drove over to Miami to pick it up. Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda.

#456479 - 08/18/18 05:07 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: sparky589]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By sparky589

I put wheels on mine, the first hour I had it grin

#456480 - 08/18/18 05:10 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: jingleman]
Fran Carango Offline

Originally Posted By jingleman
Fran...I remember Vangelis had an E-80 listed on buy and sell for $500. I almost drove over to Miami to pick it up. Shoulda, Coulda, Woulda.

Wow that was a deal smile I bought my E80 with a trade and cash (a good deal but not your shot grin

I sold mine to Don Mason, and he sold it shortly after..

#456481 - 08/18/18 05:29 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
tony mads usa Offline

Loc: East Greenwich RI USA
Originally Posted By sparky589

I put wheels on mine, the first hour I had it grin

Mine came with wheels ... BUT- before I got married my parents home had 31 steps to the front door ??? eek2 ...
Youth and strength are wonderful things ...

#456485 - 08/18/18 08:37 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: cgiles]
Uncle Dave Offline

Loc: Penn Yan, NY
Originally Posted By cgiles

Overall - I love the thing and would NEVER get rid of it. If you're ever down this way, you should stop by and try it, I've got a feeling you'd really like it.

chas

I'm sure I'd love it, but I have the Korg SV-1, and that's gonna fill the bill for a while ... plus, it's RED! smile
That master volume knob sounds strange. Never heard of one that worked that way. I love the flat top - put a PA4X , for bass, organ and drums on top, and you've got the perfect live rig!

#456486 - 08/18/18 10:24 PM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
DonM Offline

Loc: Benton, LA, USA
Originally Posted By jingleman

Wow that was a deal smile I bought my E80 with a trade and cash (a good deal but not your shot grin

I sold mine to Don Mason, and he sold it shortly after..

Actually I kept it for about a year. It got heavier and heavier! I replaced it with a BK7 if I remember correctly.

#456505 - 08/19/18 07:51 AM Re: BK9 vs G70 [Re: Fran Carango]
Dnj Offline

one of these days Roland will get all these great ideas together and if ever recreate a TOTL G70ish arranger kb somehow in a more modern version that alone will turn the whole company around.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online