SYNTH ZONE
Visit The Bar For Casual Discussion
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#455994 - 08/11/18 10:00 AM Re: suggestions on buying an acoustic piano? [Re: Mark79100]
Bachus Offline

Stay away from cheaper solutions, in general in the inder €5000 pricerange you are better off with a high end dp then an acoustic

And ni, this is not my idea, since i dont own an acoustic nor never have, but it comes from many piano teachers at a piano forum...

The Kawai dp have a near oerfect touch and come with a near perfect grand and uprifht sound... and they are allway in tume

Edited by Bachus (08/11/18 10:02 AM)

http://keyszone.boards.net

#456004 - 08/11/18 11:20 AM Re: suggestions on buying an acoustic piano? [Re: hammer]
montunoman Offline

Loc: Dallas, Texas
Originally Posted By hammer
Mark,
Through the years I have owned grand pianos and uprights. I got tired of constantly spending money on them and sold them - all at a great loss. In today's world I would not buy another acoustic piano. My reasons - good ones are expensive and require constant tuning which today is not cheap. Comes time to sell them and the market for them is very slim and the value of the piano drops drastically. My last acoustic piano was donated to a church after three years of it not being sold - even though it was in very good condition.

I would look at a really good 88 key electric piano. Roland makes some really nice sounding ones. Just my 2 Cents worth.

Deane

I have to say I agree with most of what Deane said. If you were a youngster preparing for to be a classical concert master then an acoustic piano is nesesary. But a good digital is perfectly fine for practice purposes.

Check out what Richard Clyderman has to say about digital pianos:

https://youtu.be/Kg9vdlwXzRM

www.youtube.com/channel/UCV94i--V-A8kZShmGTKyDOw

https://www.facebook.com/elgrupocache

#456010 - 08/11/18 01:39 PM Re: suggestions on buying an acoustic piano? [Re: Mark79100]
Bill Lewis Offline

Loc: Bluffton/Hilton Head SC USA
Good advice already given. If your going Acoustic you have to go fairly expensive to retain any value. And don't forget at least two tunings (maybe 4 the first year ) a year.

I had a 54" Kawai Studio I bought ne from Altenberg in Elizabeth but had to sell whne we moved. Loved it and the price was goo for a MOTR piano. Luckily sold it to Union College for their stage. Didn't lose too much
Right now I prefectly happy with my digital Roland. Lots of tweaks you can do to it and no tunings.
good Luck

#456021 - 08/11/18 06:43 PM Re: suggestions on buying an acoustic piano? [Re: Mark79100]
Stephenm52 Offline

Loc: USA
My experience I worked for the Steinway dealer in Providence, RI for a few years right after college. We sold a number of brands, every piano that was delivered to the store had a different sound and feel. I remained friends with the owners of the store and the piano technician. Many years after I left the company and could afford to buy a grand piano, I told my friends at the store keep your ears opened for a new 5 foot 10 inch Samick grand call me when one comes in that you feel is one of the better ones you’ve played and heard. One day I got the call and bought the Samick based on the opinion of the piano tech at the store. He was right on I knew soon after playing it. I played it for 6 years and got tired of having the tech to my home 2 to 3 times per year for tuning, regulating of the action and hammer adjustment. I sold it for what I paid for the piano after owning a Clavinova for a couple of years I found the Samick had to be sold.

Fast forward to 2017, Bill Lewis talked highly about the FP90, I bought one and found it to be a great piano. There’s an app called Piano Designer that can be installed on the iPhone and iPad controls many things on the FP90. There’s simulations of what a piano would sound like if a well known piano technician worked on the FP90 with not only A=440 tuning but A=442, tunings for home, for concert stage, for jazz, European piano, the list goes on. It’s pretty nifty software the FP90 is a joy to play.

Edited by Stephenm52 (08/11/18 06:44 PM)

#456026 - 08/11/18 09:08 PM Re: suggestions on buying an acoustic piano? [Re: Mark79100]
PraiseTheLord Offline

Loc: N Fort Myers, FL, USA
montunoman, that Richard Clayderman video is one of the reasons I checked out the Korg G1 Air. It is an awesome piano, well worth looking at, if you want a digital at home (it's not portable).

One day you can play a Steinway, one day a Bosendorfer, the next a Yamaha.

I wanted to go back to playing classical music at home, and that's what I am working on (with video lessons from Piano Career Academy).

#456046 - 08/12/18 06:16 AM Re: suggestions on buying an acoustic piano? [Re: travlin'easy]
bruno123 Online   content

Loc: West Palm Beach, FL 33417
If you put 10 acoustic pianos together – the same make and model, made the same year at the same factory, they do not same the same, nor could can they be tuned with the same settings. Pianos have their own personality. Pianos are affected by weather, humidity. They need to be regulated, and tuned.

Price? There are many people who bought a piano 20 years ago and have no intention of trading up. If they were to sell the piano they would get more than they paid for it. My wife had her Steinway grand piano for 35 years, when she passed away it was given to her daughter. How much has it cost me to trade to the next fantastic keyboard over the last 20 years? Let’s not go there

A second-generation piano tuner, John C.

Gary, I owned a music store/school, the second biggest in Long Island, N.Y. for 17 years. Yamaha made the best of everything when it came to detail. So I would not doubt what you said in your post.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Admin, Diki, Kerry 

Help keep Synth Zone Online